[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/, Why haven't the QR Code code completely replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20161127_174459.jpg (3MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161127_174459.jpg
3MB, 3200x2400px
So /g/,
Why haven't the QR Code code completely replaced these things yet?

I was thinking of shops and such yeah?
Is it not possible to build hardware to read QR Code just as efficiently as a linear Barcode?
>>
Why would they? What benefit would they gain from the cost of making all the extremely common equipment obsolete?
>>
>>57714420
I was just thinking, in theory though..
On top of my head, a QR codes can store more data, such as expiry date, date of manufacture etc

They are just generally more useful.
Its just odd that I haven't seen them being adopted for any mainstream purposes other than marketing
>>
Store inventory isn't large enough to justify QR code. It's used for info on items via cellphone though.
>>
a) why fix what isn't broke
b) most barcode scanners seem hella resilient when scanning --your average checkout drone barely needs to put the barcode near the scanner for it to be recognised with reasonable accuracy, this could be lost with a two dimensional code
>>
>>57714468
Uh, so?
The bar code tells computers what the item is. Properties about the item are then contained in the computer databases.
So why do you want to make it harder to know what items are?

If you want to know about an item you can put a number on it and then refer to this number in a little database about items to learn more. Isn't that a good idea?

Idiot
>>
>>57714483
>this could be lost with a two dimensional code
How bad does it get?
The only QR scanners I've come across are smartphones and they're hella slow. I assumed thats just because smartphones aren't designed to be QR scanners.
They are slow at scanning a barcode too!

>>57714503
Ayy
If everyone used QR, the need for a server could be eliminated completely!
I don't see how that makes the whole process harder
>>
>>57714565
>the need for a server could be eliminated completely!
Then what would be reading and processing the codes?
Fucking idiot.
Barcodes are for warehousing and logistics, not to be human readable
You see, they put the human readable information on the packaging IN WORDS.
>>
>>57714565
I think it's not that two dimensional scanners would be slower, but significantly more expensive.
A dedicated barcode scanner uses a scanning laser. A scanner capable of doing QR would need to scan in both axes.

Any scanner which used a camera and tried to figure it out that way (like your phone) would be slower.

This greater expense is justified in something like a factory, where there is a greater need for data and fewer scanners, but in a place like super markets the cost could be prohibitive.

As for eliminating 'the server', most of that needs to be kept anyway for inventory reasons (a QR code can't keep tabs of how many of an item exists, for example).

The only benefit that I can see coming from using a QR (or similar) code on products would be giving each item an individual ID, so they can be tracked (for greater stock-keeping and security). But this would require individually printed barcodes at the factory and a shitload of investment, which I feel would have already been made if it was going to make much of a difference.
>>
>>57714656
Interesting.
I wasn't even aware that there were alternatives other than QR.
Google is not being useful for this.
Are you aware of any which you can point me at?

>>57714598
Senpai, you need to learn to calm down
>>
File: Datamatrix.svg.png (8KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Datamatrix.svg.png
8KB, 1024x1024px
>>57714710
>I wasn't even aware that there were alternatives other than QR.
There are a bunch of different types of barcode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode#Matrix (2D) barcodes
Even Microsoft had one for a while.

The one I was thinking of (but couldn't recall the name of) was 'Data Matrix' barcodes (pic related), which are common to keep serial numbers on manufactured parts (think phone batteries and hard drives).
I bet you would have at least five in your house. right now.
>>
>>57714761
Woah!
Thanks Anon
>>
>>57714565
>The only QR scanners I've come across are smartphones and they're hella slow. I assumed thats just because smartphones aren't designed to be QR scanners.
They industrial ones are very fast and chances are that a newer POS at supermarket is already capable of scanning 2D codes. The reason is often that there are mobile pay, ticketing or loyalty systems where the POS needs to scan a mobile phone's screen.
>>
>>57714761
>Even Microsoft had one for a while.
It used different colours, but it died with their patent.
>>
>>57715252
>>57714761
Some delivery services use non-QR 2D codes.
>>
>>57714656
You could give each item an individual ID by just making the barcode longer.
>>
File: 1460445760829.jpg (80KB, 476x492px) Image search: [Google]
1460445760829.jpg
80KB, 476x492px
>>57714598
Go back to /v/ with your shitty attitude. No one is impressed by your "breadth of knowledge" as you would probably call it.
>>
File: aaaa.jpg (289KB, 450x675px) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.jpg
289KB, 450x675px
The problem isn't the lack of technology to implement QR codes. The problem is the cost to overhaul an industrywide standard for little (short term) gain. You'd have to replace all those barcode scanners with cameras to read the codes.

And for what purpose should barcodes be replaced? Barcodes work just fine, all they need to to is hold a number that a system can use to pull up item information in its database.
>>
Do any of you know why the barcode used by USPS looks so different to other barcodes?
If I'm not wrong, even Canada uses a weird Barcode for its mail
>>
File: serveimage.jpe.jpg (11KB, 711x164px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpe.jpg
11KB, 711x164px
>>57716972
Pic related.
>>
>>57716972
That may be two in one.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.