[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 30 too old to start a career in IT/programming? don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: 1480059857004.jpg (118KB, 735x429px) Image search: [Google]
1480059857004.jpg
118KB, 735x429px
Is 30 too old to start a career in IT/programming? don't want to become a superhacker programmer just good enough to get a job as codemonkey and maybe gradually a mid level dev.

I don't have any ambitions to be some startup gorillionaire but maybe good enough to get a job at one of the fortune 500 software companies? even the lowest level code monkey I'd be over the moon.

Is it possible for someone with no background in programming to begin studying programming/software dev and become good enough to go job hunting at the big software companies?
>>
bump for interest
>>
Fuck man, I cant wait until im old! I can just die while playing around with future computers and shit.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
>>57712008
>tfw too intelligent to have money
>>
>>57712008
Nah not too old, just need to not be stupid. CS major if your proficient in math, IST if your dumb as a rock.
>>
>>57712542
There won't be future computers. Computing is dying as we speak. Enoy the worldwide botnet, a digital dark age and muh singularity.
>>
>>57712585
He was talking about age 30. That's way past the "muh major in xyz" time.
>>
>>57712608
My courses were filled with losers in their mid-30s...
>>
>>57712608
>30 is too old to switch careers

Tell that to my last two brain-dead managers.
One was fired, one was promoted to executive and I now hold her position.

Both started "IT"/CS in their late 20s/early 30s.
>>
>>57712008
I'm 42 and going to start postgraduate training in Java and C# tomorrow. Never too late to learn new stuff, it just gets harder because the human brain prefers to stick to already learnt patterns rather than picking up new skills the older you get
>>
>>57712645
>>57712626

I gather that your answer to OP's question is "no, fuck you and gtfo gramps retard" or such to that effect.
>>
>>57712008
>Is 30 too old to start a career in IT/programming?
Absolutely.
>>
>>57712672
Not really, >>57712659 here. OP still has 30+ years of work ahead of him, might as well spend some of it on changing career paths.
>>
>>57712659
Where I live IT/CS is considered synonymous with twens. Past 30 it gets tough, and past 40 you cease to exist at all for HR (unless you got your foot in the management door well before hitting 40).
>>
>>57712707
Well that might be kinda true (even though at my last job they hired a granny in her 60s as a programmer, so there's that), but I don't intend to go back to an office job in a corporate environment, glad I'm outta there. Currently NEET out of choice, and managed to convince my welfare case worker that I could really use some fresh training to get better chances on the market - because why the fuck not, and I'll get free tickets for public transport for the next months out of it.
>>
>>57712008
https://oldgeekjobs.com/

by a 37-year old for 30+ year olds
>>
>>57712769
>even though at my last job they hired a granny in her 60s as a programmer
Literally and absolutely impossible thing in the country I live in. Corporations' target audience are people between 22 and 32, past that you're either going the management route, or you're on your way out one way or another. There's fresh graduates each year waiting to replace you. Sad, but that's how it looks like. No career for middle-aged people, let alone old.
>>
>>57712008
Yes, kys gramps.
>>
>>57712806
She did "favors" for the hiring manager.
>>
>>57712806
I know, what you describe is pretty standard here as well. But it still depends on the job/setting. At that company I mentioned I was almost the youngest employee, and by far the youngest programmer (started there mid 30s). Guess it had something to do with the fact that almost all coding was done in good old C and required experience with Unix systems; we tried to hire fresh graduates but they simply lacked the required skills while at the same time demanded stupid high salaries. So the management went for older coders who were more likely to have started with C/C++ instead of Java/Python/...
>>
>>57712008
I've done just that OP. The trick is being able to leverage your previous career. I worked in accounting and now do 'data science' roles, where I develop in R and Python (lame). My background helped and I have a pretty sweet deal at the moment.

I think as long as you are realistic in your expectations. I went to get a MSc in Computer Science and used the school's career fairs and career services to get internships and so forth. It was hard. You do have to realise the 'code monkey' jobs are oversubscribed between a zillion graduates everywhere and the other zillion pajeets being imported.

Software development might not be on the card for you, especially as you have no experience. That said, build things and have a portfolio on github or something. That does help.

You have to find a niche. What is your previous career?
>>
>>57712008
I switched (from teaching) in mid 20's. Worked out fine for me. 30 is probably still not to late. Mid 30's might.

There will be couple exceptional individual who can switch career easily at any age but chances are you're not one of them.
>>
>>57712008
I know this top bloke from spain called 'pedro' and he didn't even have a job till he was 40. He started getting his shit together around his mid to late 30s, did some cs related course and now he has a programming job making 50k a year.
>>
>>57712963
>and now he has a programming job making 50k a year
Is that a lot of money in Spain?
>>
>>57712974
it's a lot of money for him, seeing as how he was a depressed neet with not a dime to his name for most of his life
>>
>>57712974
It's a lot of money everywhere outside of the US.
>>
>>57712601
>Computers
>Botnet

These are stereotypes anon, they're called electromechanical automatons in the future and not all of them run with botnets. Get your facts straight before you spew some ignorant "Human master race" bullshit.
>>
>>57712963
fuck out of here, nigger.
>>
>>57713044
>he doesn't know kragers trip password
this is public knowledge you newfag retard
>>
File: 1480060383004.jpg (82KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
1480060383004.jpg
82KB, 640x641px
>>57712927
>You have to find a niche. What is your previous career?

retail. don't have any college level education either.

I think about suicide quite often.
>>
>>57713172
You could become indie gamedev instead. The crap with which those guys become successful boggles my mind, and this trend will only continue..
>>
>>57713206
This is a very, very bad idea.
You do not make games to make money. If your game isnt successful, you're fucked.

Stick to a nice, cushiony corporate job.
>>
File: 1480058859001.jpg (246KB, 1000x1502px) Image search: [Google]
1480058859001.jpg
246KB, 1000x1502px
>>57713206
the skill ceiling for game dev seems quite a lot higher. I would have to muster a bunch of skills like 3d modelling, drawing, learn half a dozen programs from unity, 3ds, photoshop to fruity loops, as well as programming. that's why I am aiming for something straight forward like code monkey, sysadmin or tech support even.
>>
>>57713265
But corporations want twentish graduates, not thirtish career switchers.
>>
>>57713206
gamedev here

REALLY shitty and in the same time good position to be in. If you are working on your own game, good luck. SOOOO many bad things can go wrong. I managed to publish my game on Steam, found some $200mil US publisher and in the end i got scammed by them, like that company was some pajeet tier shit

But if you work for other companies that want to take the risk, go for it,
>>
>>57713290
Most successful indie games from the last yeras aren't 3d. Some have even become millionaires with fucking gamemaker. Then there's Unity, where you can accomplish quite a lot with minimal knowledge in C#. Either way, personally I think learning how to program with a little vidya project is a lot more interesting and fun than doing the "usual" stuff like webshit or databases.
>>
>>57713172
virtually the same boat as me anon. technically don't even have high school diploma (1 credit short) but nobody checks that shit because I'm white and speak well
being a druggie punk rocker in your teens and early 20's will really fuck your life up

i'm not in retail but I'm pretty well fucked. very hard to even consider studying when working 40 hours just to pay bills exhausts me

the whole "stay in school" thing isn't a meme, young kids of /g/

you're gonna end up working anyways, might as well be something that pays well
>>
>>57712008
>tfw 20yo
>2 years of experience in IT
>if everything goes according to my plan after 3 more years I'll build my own house
>got a car, fuckload of savings and even the financial reserve for emergencies
Feels great to be practical and logical.
>>
>>57713290
>tech support
Don't. This is hell, you'll be pushover for literally anybody, be it users/customers, higher-tier support people (rejecting your tickets because fuck you, why the fuck not), management, literally everybody is going to give you shit. Career advance prospects based on skill are slim - they assume that if you signed up for support in the first place you can't be very competent nor ambitious, so you'd probably rot there until you either quit or leave the company by other means.
>>
>>57713347
Depends on what tech support, fuccboi.
He can provide support inside a company to his colleagues, and that's the most comfy job I could think of.
>>
>>57713372
>fuccboi
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>57713383
That's all you can read, pajeet?
>>
File: 1480060521003.jpg (73KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
1480060521003.jpg
73KB, 1024x512px
>>57713315
probably something I will learn in my spare time. I don't think I have enough imagination to make a decent videogame in any case.

>>57713326
>being a druggie punk rocker in your teens and early 20's will really fuck your life up
at least you got to live the life of a normie and fucked lots of women.
I was/am mostly nogf assburgers.

>>57713347
beggars can't be choosers. I can endure a great deal of suffering.
>>
File: youngadultold.png (28KB, 789x429px) Image search: [Google]
youngadultold.png
28KB, 789x429px
>>57712008

nice graphic tbqh, redid it for /nba/, template here if someone wants it idk
>>
you won't get a job programming, because all of the jobs they post are bullshit.

they have to post the job before they give it to someone they know, its the law.

all the interviewing and shit is just training for HR people, or to give them something to do.

No one actually gets a job.
>>
File: 1480056755002.gif (2MB, 250x190px) Image search: [Google]
1480056755002.gif
2MB, 250x190px
>>57713905
how do hr people justify their jobs? maybe I should find a job as hr instead.
>>
>>57713347
Agreed, tech support is literally shit, if you want sysadmin route for linux go get your RHCSA it's the only real cert for beginning without any prior schooling.
>>
Well put it this way, I'm 36 and I'm already preparing for early retirement. You're probably better off just continuing to flip burgers.
>>
>>57713994
sure if you want your work life to look like this
>be HR bitch
>barely went through college with a degree in psychology while playing elaborate social games with my fellow cunts
>get request to do interview for some IT guy
>sit there
>ask him "so what color are you in this job?"
>ask him "if you could decide your astrological sign, what would it be?"
>continue for 45 minutes
>magically decide his personality based on a cosmopolitan quiz on "how to know your colleagues"
>shoot off an email to the IT guy; reject him for round 9 because he right answer was color green
>continue browsing instagram
>think what to wear on casual friday
>>
>>57712008
You're never too old to pursue any career anon
>>
>>57712008
>Is 30 too old to start a career in IT/programming?
It's not too old to start a career, but it's too old to ever master programming

You simply don't have the neuroplasticity required to think like a programmer anymore
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.