[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Kali Linux seen as a shit distro on here? I've seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: kali-wallpaper-2015-v1.1.0.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kali-wallpaper-2015-v1.1.0.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Why is Kali Linux seen as a shit distro on here? I've seen it get mostly negative responses.

Why is/was it considered a good distro for hackers and pentesters? Any better distros?

I don't use it, but I'm coming across networking resources that suggest it as a distro, so I wanted to know a bit of background and the general opinion on Kali Linux.
>>
L I V E U S B
I
V
E
U
S
B
>>
File: 1474301761268.png (6KB, 415x416px) Image search: [Google]
1474301761268.png
6KB, 415x416px
>>57707975
Let me shit down your throat.
>>
>>57707975
It's not a shit distro, it's just associated with 14 year olds thinking they are LEET HAXORZ because they successfully booted Kali and captured their first packet in wireshark. It's a solid set of tools in the networking/ security field
>>
There's nothing wrong with the distro. It provides a great deal of tools. If you're a pentester you just boot it on a VM and you're all set. There's probably no better distro for this. But I don't know anyone who uses Kali as "general purpose" distro.

To make it more clear: the problem I have with most people who use Kali is simply because they aren't the targeted audience. More often than not those are the same people who ask "How do I hack a Facebook profile?". Need I say more?
>>
>>57708046
nailed it
>>
>>57708046
This.

Also, it's popular round these parts to shit on anyone who doesn't write and compile their own pentesting operating system.

Welcome to /g/.
>>
>>57707975
I use it for a living and the only time i've installed it is in VM's as temporary pen test machines. they're blown out at the end of every engagement.

it's generally considered a bad idea to have them installed and left running partly because the thing that's most likely to get any box compromised is having a user on it doing day to day work. If any box were to get compromised, one used for pen testing would be a wet dream to compromise, all the tools you'd ever want are already there waiting for you.
>>
>>57708046
>>57708054
>>57708067

So, it's a good distro for what it's intended for, but it's been tarnished by cringeworthy teenagers who romanticise hacking?

Fair. Makes sense. I suppose I'll just do my research and make sure I'm using it correctly.

Based on the resources and reading list I've been given, the course I'm taking will probably involve Kali. Is dual-booting it with Ubuntu a good way to go? And use Kali for whatever work it requires, and keep Ubuntu as a general purpose OS.
>>
>>57707975
using kali as your day-to-day distro is like driving a tank to work
>>
File: tumblr_nmpgfxZFwO1titub2o1_250.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmpgfxZFwO1titub2o1_250.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
>>57708067
I'm thinking of doing it in Slack.

Got any advice for me?
>>
>>57708141
Oh I wouldn't use it as a day to day distro. Dual boot was my first thought, but now it seems using a VM makes more sense.

>>57708114
I haven't got much experience with VMs/virtualization. Are there any good online resources about them?
>>
>>57708186
VM is def the way to go with kali. Boot it on something like fedora if you want to play around
>>
>>57708186
install iso in VM
set network to bridge or NAT
go nutes
>>
>>57708186
work somewhere that uses it and beg to do grunt work on them. usually we just hand the VM teams an image and they set up and configure them, our VM is basically ready to go out of the box. I used virtualbox and vmware player first, fucked it up a bunch of times, and then eventually figured out what I'm doing. you just won't be able to replicate a lot of the stuff done in big companies on your desktop, but maybe you can run xen or something and get an idea of what its like. playing with VMs on your desktop is just miles away from a real VMware infrastructure
>>
>>57708120
Dual-booting is fine, but most people will find it wasteful as it consumes space on the hard drive while only having a limited purpose. I used to dual-boot for the simple reason that I needed to preserve updates and configuration files boot to boot.

However, these days, I boot Kali from USB and use USB persistence so I can store necessary configuration files on the USB. I use a simple, custom script on my USB to update the system every time I boot. Saves me a lot of time.
>>
>>57708227
Shiiiit. I just have a shitty Toshiba with 4gb of RAM and a small hard drive.

I could stick more RAM on it, but I'm not even sure of the resources that VMs use the most.

>>57708249
What size USB do you use? I suppose if I'm doing it for a course, saving files is probably going to be required.
>>
>>57708286
I use an 8gb USB. 4gbs for Kali (which is pretty well standard) and 4gbs for storage space (which is fairly excessive, but I like to have a lot of room for storage).
>>
>>57708363
More lightweight than I thought. I'll probably use this method for now, and use a VM for more temporary tasks in the future.
>>
>>57708363
Also, a word on VMs.

I've had issues with having Kali access hardware when installed on a VM. The program Aircrack-ng comes to mind. I could never figure out how to get that program running on a VM. It just won't properly detect my WNIC. But it works perfectly fine when booted from a USB or dual-booted on a hard drive. This has been my experience with Kali 1.0.9.

But, I think Kali 2.0 has had problems with Aircrack-ng too.
>>
>>57708459
it works fine, you should be using a usb wireless adapter along with usb ethernet adapter, not the build in stuff for many reasons
>>
Wouldn't running Kali in a VM not allow for you to take advantage of the GPU at all for cracking?

I've heard of PCI/GPU pass-through, but it seems complicated.

I've been told it's dumb to boot Kali in a VM unless you're just feeling it out. I feel like your hardware would even be limited by booting from a USB too.

Basically I want to boot kali, but be able to use my actual GPU to aid in cracking stuff. Seems like if I did a dual-boot, actually installed Kali onto an SSD, installed the right drivers, I would be able to use my R9 while cracking 4-way handshakes .
>>
>>57708459

As with many Linux distro's, you can't use your laptops internal WIFI card. You need an external one. The benefits are that they're cheap and outperform the internal one 342342 times over.
>>
>>57708613
Any suggestions on a wireless card?
>>
>>57707975
The problem is that NEETs have a hard time understanding that different distros server different purposes.

Kali is basically a preinstalled debian with a bunch of pentesting programs, is not meant to be your daily driver.
>>
>>57708613
I could use the internet just fine when running Kali from VM; Airmon-ng just couldn't find the card. Even with patched drivers.
>>
>>57708576
your single r9 is garbage and you wont be able to do shit

if you want to gpu crack you build a 4way sli machine dedicated to it
>>
>>57708662

That doesn't help me at all. It's just nice that the capturing the 4-way allows you to crack offline, at the comfort of your home. I got all the time in the world. So what you said means nothing.
>>
>>57708710
>all the time in the world

that is what it would take, fuck off kid
>>
>>57708724

Dude you said 4 way SLI.

Think about that.
>>
>>57708761
and? i am talking about 4 fucking gpus bridges together, dont try to act fucking smart you dumb shit you know exactly what i mean

god damnit, stay in school
>>
>>57708780

Hahaha. Could you be more triggered?
>>
>>57708780
>>57708807

Calm down bros. You chicken tendies may have been burnt, but let's work together for a brighter tomorrow.
>>
>>57708636
alfa AWUS036h, you need some thing with packet injection capability.
Also you can see the list of different cards on aircarck-ng site.
>>
>>57708141
Yes but the more familiar you get with the os and tools the better off you are,escpecially if you are taking classe based around kali.
>>
A "USB" is not a flash drive. It's the Universal Serial Bus. Fucking mongrels. I bet you're the same type who calls a complete graphics card "a GPU".
>>
>>57708459
God dude update that shit muh bbleedin edge
>>
>>57707975
backbox is a lot easier to use
as for the reason why it's hated
it gives script kiddies a chance to hack
for free
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.