[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good backup solution? And I mean a REALLY good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: comparison.png (7KB, 300x311px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
7KB, 300x311px
What's a good backup solution? And I mean a REALLY good one.
I'm currently using OneDrive, I'm even paying for the extra space per month but I think I lost some files now. I will probably never know for sure. There was some weird windows corrupted folder shit, OneDrive crashed every time I wanted to open a folder and I googled around and it told me to run chkdsk. Okay so apparently it deleted the corrupted folders and it's supposed to resync but I was just looking for a .webm i saved and it wasnt there anymore. I then searched with 'Everything' on my PC and found the file in some weird folder like this: D:\found.000\dir0003.chk

I dont care if chkdsk was a mistake but OneDrive apparently has some bug or problem and it deleted this file or treated it as deleted ( no way to tell without a history)
I'm aware that Dropbox has a history like git(?) but I feel like I should be using a different backup solution. Something like a cron job that will sync all files every night to some server and maybe it should keep the last 10 days of all files. Or maybe I should just straight up use git or mercurial for all my files? I mean that should technically work right. I have some large .zip files and executables but I heard about largefile support for mercurial.

I dont really see an issue with this approach, do you?
I just feel like I'm overpaying / overtrusting OneDrive when it clearly isn't perfect and it probably never will be and I dont even get a history. (which I technically dont care about but when you want to find out when a file was deleted, it would be nice to have that searchable)
>>
but i have to add, i think i lost files with git too. Searching the history is a pain in the ass, you basically have to grep a million times with tons of arcane cmds you need to learn first
git is not exactly user friendly, i always have some weird problem where i git add . and then commit and i do that on every change and then a few weeks later suddenly i have multiple files in the repo that i actually once had deleted but they somehow showed up again.
regarding the losing of files: I dont know how it happened, I was SURE that i had a repo and made a commit with those changes but then when i looked for those files a year or two later, it was never there. I have no clue. I suppose it's most likely user error but it doesnt really matter to me why it got fucked, it was my ass
>>
Just buy an external HDD and copy your stuff there.
>>
>>57704594

nah that still sucks, i have some external hdds and they get botchy and error out sometimes, and i never keep them properly up to date because i have to constantly plug them in and out (they make sound too u know) and it's not really a great backup if it's in the same apartement / computer and can vanish / get stolen / hit by lightning at the same time.
also now that i think about it, worst suggestion ever. i have to manually copy that stuff, no partial syncing? no thanks
>>
>literally using botnet
just attach a small flash drive to you keychain if you want portable storage
>>
>>57704653
HDDs have an average lifespan of about 5 years when plugged in 24/7, it should last longer without errors if you only turn it on occasionally.

If you're so lazy you don't want to manually backup your own files or search for a program that automates it, then go ahead and keep getting ripped off for shitty botnet storage.
>>
Local NAS
>>
>>57704528
Doesn't mega offer 50 free gigs? I'd try that out.
>>
>>57704528
MEGA has a free 50GBs. If you're looking for a backup "tool" then I'd take a look at either https://syncthing.net/ with a master folder or http://www.duplicati.com/ and picking up a few extra hard drives.
>>
>>57704528
Nextcloud
>>
>>57704528
Obviously a backup to your own NAS box.

Dont really care if you do it with a storage cloud, bacula, rsync or syncthing or something else. But its the cheapest fast solution where you know what happens with your data and can re-check it well at the intervals you choose.
>>
>>57704587
Okay, if you think operating git is difficult, perhaps buy a typical NAS. They usually got backup software for end users like you included. Less will go wrong that way.
>>
Mega is great security-wise, but Degoo has 100GB free. Why not use both?
>>
File: IMG_20161126_182158.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161126_182158.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>57704528
>he fell for the cloud meme
Veeam Backup & Replication with a Starwind Virtual SAN Virtual Tape Library stored on external hard disks. That way you can have onsite and offsite backups. Its what im doing to back up my RAIDs at home.
>>
>>57704653
FreeFileSync + encrypted drive (Bitlocker, HFS, true/veracrypt, whatever).

I set it up once, hit a button and the backup is done. literally takes less than a minute per week unless I changed really a lot
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.