[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello Anunnaki. I've got a problem with my old ass PC.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: AMD ATI wojak.png (14KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
AMD ATI wojak.png
14KB, 213x237px
Hello Anunnaki.

I've got a problem with my old ass PC. It is old and weak, agreed, but it started to stutter one day I turned it on. I used it for basic things like watching YT or browsing news websites.

I cleaned it with CCleaner. My browser is Mozilla Firefox with AdBlock Plus plug-in installed.

My PC specs:
Windows XP 32 bit (kek XD)
512mb RAM
AMD Sempron 1,6ghz
ATI Radeon 9550

I know it's weak as hell and even older than devil himself, but as I said - I didn't have problems before. I gave it to my grandpa and he had no problems until one day he turned his PC on and noticed that searching things via Firefox causes lags (via IE as well).

It also stutters while watching random YT vids and it doesn't matter whether my grandpa watch 'em on 480p or lower qualities.

Any ideas?
>>
Install a lightweight Linux distribution and also don't use Firefox.
>>
its either clogged with dust, probably filled with malware too due to >xp
>>
>>57694774
its either clogged with dust or some other shit is causing it to overheat*
>>
>>57694766
well it's not about me but my grandpa; he got used to, along with grandma, to Windows style, so I am skeptical to changing whole OS in their (well, my old) PC. About Firefox I agree, but what secure and fast, light-weighted browser should be enough?
>>57694774
>>57694800
I had antivirus installed, but it was Avast so the PC, weak anyway, was even more under pressure by Avast's crappy and lagging interface and mechanics. How to check if I have malware interface and which programme can be suitable for PC to delete it? I'd have not problems if it was about Windows 7, 8.1 or 10, but last time I actively used Windows XP was hmm 11 years ago.
>>
>>57694827
is AVG free version a decent antivirus (or more: antimalware) tool?
>>
>>57694682
Could be anything. RAM and HDD expire after some time. Motherboard could have been raped by dust and insects. You might even have malware.

Lack of maintenance is what destroys technology.
>>
>>57694827
avast can't keep up, its basically just a useless strain on the system at that point, just format it and put linux on it like the other guy said
>>
>>57694855
Well, that motherboard was bought in 2005, so I guess her time has come (or already came some years ago, but some strange force forces her to work xD). RAM was bought in 2005 as well.

I do understand that technology expires, especially in XXI century, but It would be cool to (if not repair it) make it work just to surf the internet and watch YT vids.

>>57694871
Yeah, Avast is shit and the day I resigned from using this heavy bugger was one of the best days in my life.
About Linux, what kind of Linux recommend that would be similar in use like Windows XP? Plus I haven't installed any operating system based on Linux. Any protips which Linux has similar interface to Windows XP, what Linux is not draining a lot of resources from PC and is rather easy in materia of installing it?
>>
>>57694919
I have a desktop PC from 2007 and all 3 of my hard disks failed recently. Both my ram modules are faulty causing my PC to beep non stop with a blank screen. My VGA cable has been severed.

Shit happens mate. Just get a simple laptop for like $300. Don't waste money repairing trash.
>>
>>57694827
Opera is pretty good or Chromium.
>>
>>57694919
ubuntu probably, but I'm no expert so you should ask around some more or try googling it

make sure to also check your temps too, your shit might be getting throttled, and also check task manager for any foreign processes although I haven't used XP in near enough a decade so I dunno how much good that will do
>>
>>57694682
I recommend Solus. Easy to use, looks a bit like Windows (but better and actually consistent) and it's blazing fucking fast.
>>
>>57694948
I h I have bad memories with Opera, so I won't recommend it to my grandparents hehe. Thx mate.
>>57694936
This disk is from 2005 and it works. My disk from old, but newer than this one, PC is still working avter 8 years, so I guess i have luck for HDDs.
About repairing, I do know that buying new PC would be cheaper and more efficient than repairing an old one, mostly because price can be similar in both cases and it is obvious that it's better to spent similar amount of money on new parts than investing in over 10 years old shit.
>>
>>57695000
Hmm, interesting. I heard many good oppinions about it.
Is installation of this OS rather simple and will I be able to have Windows XP just-in-case on another disk?
>>
>>57695000
"A traditional desktop for advanced users and older hardware." I dunno whether OP's grandparents will be satisfied.
>>
File: be7.png (277KB, 501x550px) Image search: [Google]
be7.png
277KB, 501x550px
>>57694682
>512mb RAM
>AMD Sempron 1,6ghz
>ATI Radeon 9550
>>
Sounds like the computer is too slow for modern websites.
You see OP, every year or so big websites redesign their sites with the new hip JS framework that consumes more and more system resources. Websites are continuously getting more demanding on computers, and your old computer there has finally stopped being able to keep up.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.