[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats the cheapest way to setup an amateur radio? also, its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1465404881189.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465404881189.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
whats the cheapest way to setup an amateur radio?
also, its possible to talk with people all around the world with it?
>>
>radio
>all around the world
Are you a spastic? Even if you had a large enough antenna, the world isn't flat.
>>
File: kx2_large.jpg (185KB, 1600x1158px) Image search: [Google]
kx2_large.jpg
185KB, 1600x1158px
>>57679418
>whats the cheapest way to setup an amateur radio?
1: Get a license
2: Get a monoband HF radio, about 50 dollars will get you going. Splurge a little bit more and go for a Ten Tec Rebel

>also, its possible to talk with people all around the world with it?
Yes. If you know what you are doing. See A above.

You might want a better radio like one from Elecraft
>>
>>57682513
>1: Get a license
why?
>>
>>57682619
To get a license you have to learn a few important things:
- electronics: this is important for many reasons such as making sure you don't kill yourself or jam emergency bands with harmonics
- protocol: this is important to make sure you can coexist on the band with others
- band knowledge: this lets you know what frequencies will work well under what circumstances
- tricks: if you really, really, really need to transmit without being found there are a lot of things to know.

With a license you get a call sign. Without a valid call sign you will stick out like a sore thumb. Just think of teenage script kiddies who have just downloaded LOIC and is boasting on a computer security forum.

There is a lot of cold war rules to this activity and all bands are monitored and emitters located as a matter of routine. Even accidental transmissions into military emergency bands will bring about reactions.
>>
>>57679667

You do know that you can bounce signals off the atmosphere right? Amateur radio users have been doing this for decades.

>>57682513

>get a license

does anyone even do this anymore?
>>
>>57683224
>>get a license

>does anyone even do this anymore?

Yes. I'm working on mine at the moment
>>
>>57683224
No. No I did not. That's pretty cool.
Thank you anon, I've learned my something new for today.
>>
I love radio but hate the regulations

Sux 2 b me
>>
>>57679667
You can throw a wire in a tree and talk around the world with only 5 watts, nigger
>>
>>57683224
Why wouldn't you get a license? It teaches all the stuff you need to know.
>>
File: Wull.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Wull.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>57679667
>Even if you had a large enough antenna, the world isn't flat.
You would need a pretty big antenna to flatten the Earth. Pic related is regarded as one of the bigger ones. And the DF range is enormous.

Moreover to talk with people around the world you can also use satellites, ALE or packet radio.
>>
>>57685083
>shitpost about something you barely have a rudimentary understanding of
>end up learning lots
Thank you based anon.
>>
>>57685083
No. You have no idea what you are talking about
>>
>>57679418
>talk with the world
you need transceiver then, serious shit

If i were you, i'd start with $5 rtl2832u dongle. It's enough to hear a lot of interesting things with proper antenna - airplane communication, police, emergency services, other HAM enthusiasts, even weather SSTV broadcasts from satellites (and many other satellite signals, including radio pirates from some kind of third world countries). Even if you decide you don't like it, it'll still be best $5 (plus antenna costs) you have ever spent.
>>
>>57685219
>>57685277
Same?

Try providing an argument. If you can.
>>
>>57685277
What? I was actually thanking you, sorry if it came across as sarcastic.
>>
>>57685483
Maybe its the way you write but it seems like you're a gigantic fucking retard talking about flattening the earth.. Giant antennae are used for arrays or for mf and lower. The size of the antenna doesnt change how far the signal tx/rxs it just chooses what frequency range you want to operate with.

I could talk to someone on the other side of the world with a setup on my desk if I knew the angles I wanted and the weather
>>
>>57685599
Look closer: I was pointing out the mindless stupidity of this guy >>57679667 who talks about flatness. I mean, just how stupid can people get? As if satellite comms depends on flatness.

>The size of the antenna doesnt change how far the signal tx/rxs it just chooses what frequency range you want to operate with.
That is too imprecise. The length of the monopoles relate to the wavelength you are looking at while the size, as in large number of monopoles, not only allows DF but also gives you beam forming capacity and also combines input from many monopoles, both of which allows great range.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.