[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Difference between Console Cable, Crossover Cable, Rollover Cable,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: avtech_crossover_cable.jpg (39KB, 700x458px) Image search: [Google]
avtech_crossover_cable.jpg
39KB, 700x458px
Difference between Console Cable, Crossover Cable, Rollover Cable, & Straight-Through Cable?

Just starting out in the networking field and I cannot seem to get a simple explanation for the differences between these cables. I have a lab setup at home and use a console cable but have no idea what the other cables do (perhaps they all do the exact same thing?). What I don't get is when to use each cable. I have a console cable connected from my router to my PC yet when I look online it says to use a crossover cable. When I search online for rollover cables, I see pictures of my console cable. Are they all the same thing? I am completely lost.

To summarize: Console Cable vs Crossover Cable vs Rollover Cable vs Straight-Through Cable

Any help is appreciated.
>>
File: Bump-sign.jpg (401KB, 1481x1480px) Image search: [Google]
Bump-sign.jpg
401KB, 1481x1480px
:/
>>
>>57671796
Trying to do this without looking anything up.

Standard patch cable is wired the same way on each end, and each colored pair is twisted. It's twisted to reduce crosstalk. Straight through is not twisted, so it will have more noise, and not actually gain you anything, so it's basically worthless imo.

Even though the wires can technically be in any order, there are standard patterns, and you should use them

Orange stripe
Orange green stripe
Blue
Blue stripe
Green
Brown stripe
Brown

For a crossover cable, I think you flip the green stripe and green on one end only.

Also, autocross is technically an option on gigabit hardware, but almost everything implements that option. So if you're gig, you shouldn't need a crossover cable.

My only experience with console cable isn't ethernet at all, although it has an rj45 end. It's serial cable for some networking gear (cisco has it every damned thing they make).
>>
>>57672239
I understand the color codes for type A and B and that rollover basically flips everything in reverse where as crossover flips the orange and green but WHEN would you use each cable type? That is what I don;t understand.
>>
This might be bait a bait thread but here goes.

Crossover cable: Ethernet cable that connects two pc's together without requirement of a switch or hub. Wires inside the cable are paired differently than standard patch Ethernet cable. Parallel/Serial cables are old, old method of connecting laptop's to desktop for purpose of transferring files. Trust me, this is method of last resort if no other connection exists or can be added cheaply. Patch cable is just a another name for standard Ethernet cable. ethernet can only be ran for 100 meters before you need a switch or repeater added. Transmission errors will result if you pass 100 meters.
>>
>>57672386
Thanks anon, it makes more sense now.

But are you saying that a crossover is the NEW version of the rollover cable or do they have completely different uses? Also, can either the crossover and rollover cables be referred to as the console cable or is only rollover referred to as console cable? Not bait, apologies for being a retarded.
>>
>>57672551
>being a retarded
forgot to omit the "a"
>>
File: FO1T7AWG8B8THNN.MEDIUM.jpg (27KB, 600x289px) Image search: [Google]
FO1T7AWG8B8THNN.MEDIUM.jpg
27KB, 600x289px
>>57672239
But that's bullshit

Straight Through IS the standard patch cable.

There are two standards, TIA-EIA 568 A and B.
B is more common in Europe.

A is:
1 Green White
2 Green
3 Orange White
4 Blue
5 Blue White
6 Orange
7 Brown White
8 Brown

B is
1 Orange White
2 Orange
3 Green White
4 Blue
5 Blue White
6 Green
7 Brown White
8 Brown

Straight Through Cable uses the same standard on both ends of the cable, Crossover uses A on one, B on the other. This means that wire pairs 12 and 36 are crossed.
12 are the transmit pins, 36 are the receive pins of Ethernet jacks. They must be crossed for connection, but switches have them crossed internally, which is why you use straight through to connect to them. Nowadays, almost all devices autonegotiate the pin ordering though (involves randomly setting the pinout repeatedly until it matches)
All of Ethernet cables are twisted to reduct noise.

>>57672386
>>57671796
Console cables are not Ethernet, but Serial (RS-232) and are used for configuring networking devices. Networking devices use Ethernet jacks because they use less space than the DB9 connector typically associated with RS-232.
Usually, they are rollover cables (Pins 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 match pins 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1), for cisco and juniper at least. I've seen devices where this is not the case though.
These are often NOT twisted, but they may not be used for Ethernet anyway. See pic related for a cisco (typically sky blue) console cable.
Yes, RS-232 is old af, but tried and tested against time and still works, which is why networking devices still are configured with it).
Do NOT mistake RJ45 for the Ethernet standard, it's just a connector type used both by networking console cables and ethernet cables (and some other cables, too - seen E1 cables with it).
>>
>>57673622
Also, RS-232 is active during boot-up already, which makes device recovery repossible
>>
>>57671796
None of this shit matters in 2016. Modern equipment can handle the various things that these are meant to do.
>>
>>57675164
This actually. I learned in my cisco networking class that modern networking equipment can detect what kind of cable you are plugging in and it will adjust/compensate for it.
>>
Crossed -> use this to connect 2 items working on the same "layer" of the network.

Direct -> use this to connect 2 items working on diferent "layers" of the network.
>>
>>57675191
except when it doesn't, then you have to dig through it. This is why every ISP will give you a non autoneg 100/full (or similiar) connection
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.