[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/'s opinion on Chromebooks? A couple of places have these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Chrome.jpg (889KB, 3870x2558px) Image search: [Google]
Chrome.jpg
889KB, 3870x2558px
/g/'s opinion on Chromebooks?

A couple of places have these things on sale for around $100
>>
>>57663865
Do you want to check email with a keyboard on the go?

Is it worth $100 yo you?

Literally the only two questions you have yo ask yourself.
>>
I'm using an Acer 14 currently, overall pretty good for the price. It's weird getting used to the new OS but it's manageable, the battery lasts for a long time (best feature for me). If you're worried about not doing offline work they have new features for that, plus if you want games you can download a chromebook that supports google play games on it. Emulators work great on them with those features. 9/10 for it's price.
>>
>>57663865
I'm waiting for samsung chromebook pro
>>
>>57663939
Name better things another laptop can do, most laptops have shit specs and are overpriced. There are apps but with android app support chromebooks will be great or equal (to Windows and such). I respect your opinion but please defend it. https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps?visit_id=0-636155998476291830-3761748798&rd=1 link
>>
Build a PC and get a chromebook for traveling.
>>
Are these things good for shit posting?
>>
>>57664006
Its essentially a bare-bones shitposting machine
>>
>>57663976
My $400 refurb from 2012 can still run most games I want to play through Steam, and it's barely powerful enough to run CAD smoothly. That's more than a Chromebook can do already.
>>
It's a fun little linux box, but requires too much work to get it installed.
>>
>>57663865
I'm using an acer chromebook 14 (4GB/32GB). I like it so far. I prefer it over any windows notebook/laptop in this price range because the battery lasts a long time and it's fucking fast. I mostly create/edit word & excel documents, write e-mails and use the calendar, plus some web browsing but I have to say it's fine with 20 tabs open. Didn't try more yet.

>>57663952
Spooky. Is that the most successful chromebook or something?

>>57663989
That's what I have, a powerful desktop at home plus a chromebook to work from everywhere.
>>
>>57664030
kek. The only problem I can see is local storage for pics, but I guess a 128GB flash drive could solve that.
>>
They're awful. Chromebooks are basically android tablets with glued on keyboards and a crippled android OS. Yes, google for some retarded reason took android OS and made it 10X worse instead of leaving it alone.

Don't get one, it was the worst experience in my life for me.
>>
I fucking love my lil acer 131 chrome book it's bomb af. It's light and well constructed, the display isn't bad, the little fucker's life is amazing, the integration with google shit is godly, and overall I'd fuck the shit outta it I I could.

However, even the godliest of wines do not come without their faults:
-shit track pad. Literally the worse thing ever. Got used to not actually clicking the thing and just tapping it instead beach the click was so shit
-no backlight on keyboard. It's pretty shit but you'll get used to it.
-I got the 2gb of ram model and opening just over 15 tabs decreases performance a shit load. I now know to only get a 4gb model or better.
>>
I have a Google Pixel. With an i7 and 16 gigs of RAM it's boss.
>>
I'd recommend Chromebooks to elderly people. It's just a Chrome browser that you can't fuck up.

Alternatively, I'd also recommend them for tech-savvy people if you could get a good deal. I have Kubuntu installed on mine and it was an arduous process of flashing the firmware on it to change the boot-up screen so that I could freely install a different OS, it involved opening up the chromebook and putting a piece of tinfoil in to complete some circuit that disables the firmware read-only protection and then copy-pasting command line stuff from the internet. If that's too much work for you, get a regular netbook.
>>
>>57664095
you have lived a very easy life
>>
>>57663865
for the price you can't really complain. fast web access, great battery life, and on many models soon-to-be Android apps. actually just sold mine, but if I needed a cheap computing platform for basic stuff I wouldn't hesitate to grab another one. just get 4GB ram
>>
>>57664145
>the integration with google shit is godly, and overall I'd fuck the shit outta it I I could.

These are the kinds of insights I come to /g/ for.
>>
>>57664411
I'm not gonna lie, at some point I body slammed my bed and didn't realize my acer was under the sheets. For a good month the thing had an indentation in it of my ass and wouldn't sit evenly on a flat surface. I piled about 5 textbooks on it for a week and whablamo, good as new
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.