[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you restarted your computer? I ain't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: restart meh plz.png (35KB, 664x600px) Image search: [Google]
restart meh plz.png
35KB, 664x600px
When was the last time you restarted your computer?

I ain't got time for that shit
>>
>>57658032
yesterday
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>57658052
> Falling for the "restart your computer often meme"
>>
File: 1479926370504.jpg (99KB, 766x747px) Image search: [Google]
1479926370504.jpg
99KB, 766x747px
>>
>>57658088
i restarted it because i have this bug i haven't got around to fixing where my hdmi can no longer output sound. hopefully it happens tomorrow morning or tonight because I'm gonna try modprobe -r and reloading it

other than that the only reason i shut it off is to save electricity, like if i go on a trip. i should probably turn it off at night but my routine is to stay on my pc until i pass out
>>
Can anyone explain what I do wrong that makes my PC start to shit itself over long uptime?

I see people with 100+ days of uptime and all report their system running fine but my PC hits unusable within around 30 days uptime. Right now I am at 39 days uptime and certain shit takes forever to launch (notably right now, trying to set a preffered device in the Game Controller menu of the control panel causes the window to freeze for about 20 minutes. On a fresh boot it works instantly)
>>
>>57658268
what os? and how's your memory usage? could be memory leaks or multiple copies of processes opening or some shit
>>
>>57658285
>what os?
It's an issue I've has for years over multiple installs of both Windows 7 and 10

>and how's your memory usage?

If you mean my general sitting around browsing use I sit at around 30% usage of 16GB. Might spike up if I get tab heavy.

When I am working it's usually around 90% (3DS Max and a 4K workflow in Substance Painter, very heavy on memory)
>>
>>57658305
So when your PC becomes unusable have you checked resources, RAM CPU etc, what is it? if it's memory it's some sort of memory leak. other thing you could try is ending processes in task manager. if none if those works i would just say it's because windows is shit
>>
>>57658329

Yeah I check every time something starts up, nothing seems weird. The typical 30-40% memory usage and the CPU idle.

The problem is it's general slow down over time, it's not like it suddenly has this huge spike out of now where that I can trace, it just starts opening programs and loading shit slower and slower the longer my uptime is.

For example my last reboot I was on about 50 days uptime and it was so bad that I launched 3DS Max and it took over 10 minutes for the program to fully launch, and that's off an SSD and usually launches it within 20 seconds on a fresh boot.
>>
I had to restart earlier today because I ran out of memory and the while system locked up.
>>
>>57658359
>opening programs and loading shit slower
so in actual programs there's no slowdown just the time it takes to start them? nothing weird going on with CPU and memory then?
>>
GNU/Linux doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>57658391
>so in actual programs there's no slowdown just the time it takes to start them?

I don't think so. For 3DS Max it's definitely unaffected, my typical workflow with 8-20 million poly objects feels entirely the same regardless of up time. My browser seems fine (Opera, Firefox and Chrome all tested).

Substance Painter performance varies wildly per project so it's really hard to tell if it's being affected.
>>
>>57658413
check your drive read/write speeds when it starts to slow down. how much free space do you have on your SSD?
>>
>>57658421

117GB
>>
>>57658431
is it a 1TB drive then? what percent full is it?
>>
>>57658441

It's a 512GB Samsung 850 Evo. 75.48% full.

A SMART check shows 100% health with a 3960 power on hours, it's not very old and hasn't been abused much.
>>
>>57658470
well it definitely sounds like a problem with the SSD whatever it is. check the SSD speed now, then check it again next time it starts slowing down.

I would say try to free up some space, SSDs start slowing down as they get close to full capacity, even if the drive is 100% healthy.
>>
>>57658501

Will do, thanks for the help buddy.
>>
What is up with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 using up 100% Disk usage after startup anyway?
>>
>>57658395
That's nice, retard. kys
>>
>>
>>57659620
>>57658032
RIP your security. Windows isn't Linux where you can just update specific shit without rebooting for security patches.
>>
File: 1270323879286.gif (2MB, 290x260px)
1270323879286.gif
2MB, 290x260px
>>57659864
> windows security
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.