[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are smartphones inconsistent with the Unix philosophy? A phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: nokia-n95-2.jpg (44KB, 390x350px) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n95-2.jpg
44KB, 390x350px
Are smartphones inconsistent with the Unix philosophy?

A phone should do one thing, make phone calls, and do that well.
>>
smartphones are outright handy and they do still make calls and do it well calls take priority over anything else the phone does
>>
Why would a hardware device need to be consistent with a software philosophy

PCs are capable of a lot of different things
>>
File: commbadge.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
commbadge.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
Here's a unix philosophy approved cell phone.
>>
>>57647793
Smart phones are computers that can make phone calls

Besides, Unix philosophy applies to software anyway
>>
It is a way to design software, so we can do more with the hardware.
People back then didn't have a mainframe to read files and a mainframe to write to files.
Stop acting like an idiot.
>>
>>57648293
>>57648233
Apple is the unix philosophy applied to companies
>>
>>57648316
No wonder if fares so poorly in the world of grown-ups with real jobs.
>>
>>57647793

Making calls is one of the least used functions on my smart phone.

It seems like an incredibly inefficient means of communication compared to shooting someone an instant message.
>>
>>57647793
Smartphones are pocket computers. This is why iPhones don't technically classify as smartphones.
>>
>>57648488
>implying
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html
>>
>>57647793
The one thing they do is to sell out their customers to advertisers, and they do that well.
>>
I sometimes feel that way.

I want to get a dumbphone so I can use it as a 24/7 on phone and keep my smartphone as a pocket computer that I only connect to wifi from time to time.

I've been eyeing the nokia 216, but I wanted to ask you guys first.
>>
>>57647793
the phone module in smartphones does whst you said, but smartphone is group of unix-friendly modules, with each one doing its job.

>computers are not unix because you can do too much things on them
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.