[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Better font rendering >More control over the system >More

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 32

File: scrot0.png (109KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
scrot0.png
109KB, 1366x768px
>Better font rendering
>More control over the system
>More customization options
>More security against malware
>Free of cost, lifetime upgrades
>Choice of designing your own system from scratch

What is keeping Linux from becoming mainstream desktop OS? People are using ChromeOS and MacOS without Windows exclusive games, so this should be no different.
>>
>>57647255
>Composition sucks
>Bad battery life
>Multi monitor support sucks (well in Ubuntu it kinda works)
>No 3rd party software support (Photoshop, Video editing software etc...)
>>
>>57647255
Normies don't know how to install operating systems. It's a fucking simple process, but even then they think it's too much effort.

Instead, they'll settle for what's already on their machines, and sadly that's Windows. Or macOS, for the rich people who only care about brand.
>>
>>57647255
1. Baby duck
2. video games (things are getting better here)
3. pre-installed windows people use because they don't care

That's pretty much about it. We had this thread over and over in the past few years.
>>
>>57647255
The one thing that's holding Linux (and OSS in general) back is that they don't do comercial advertising. A few years ago google put ads for chrome on TV and across the internet, you see Apple and MS ads everyday if you don't use an adblocker or if you watch TV.

I've never seen an ad for Ubuntu or Fedora, but if they started advertising as much as Apple did, I think they would gain a lot more users, and because Linux is free and can be installed anywhere it has the potential to eclipse apple.
>>
>>57647255
You do know that ChromeOS is based on Gentoo, goy?
>>
>>57647255
what DE is that? How did you get it like that?
>>
>>57647272
>macOS, for the rich people
Why does every nigger have one, then?
Because even the poor can afford a payment plan, idiot.
>>
>>57647280
It's 3>1>2 actually.
>>
>>57647271
>>Composition sucks
Wayland will hopefully fix this.
Also it works ok with modern systems.
>>Bad battery life
I have always had better battery life with linux thatn with windows on my machines.
I have tweaked my linux installs for battery though, haven't done much of that for windows.
>>Multi monitor support sucks (well in Ubuntu it kinda works)
It works perfectly fine for me. I'm using xmonad though, so if you are talking about the window management over multi-screen milage may differ.
>>No 3rd party software support (Photoshop, Video editing software etc...)
Sadly that's true. Also "if it's free, it can't be good" mentality, especially for software.

My point:
> No official support, unless corporate customer
>>
>>57647255
People don't use it because something that takes ~1h on Linux can be done in less than a minute on Windows & MacOS.
>>
>>57647255
How is Solus compered to Arch with Gnome?
>>
File: 1464927396925.png (43KB, 171x158px) Image search: [Google]
1464927396925.png
43KB, 171x158px
>Better font rendering
Not really
Absolutely
>More culmination options
Same as above?
Depends
Same if you pirate software consistently
If your system is already perfectly suitable for your tasks at hand, you may not need to design your own

Why is there an appeal to always push the linux/GNU + Linux meme onto perfectly content users of other platforms?
We're not going to wake up and realise that we were wrong all along, If we need it, we will adapt and learn

It's like you're
Shilling for freeware 
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80KB, 443x388px) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80KB, 443x388px
>>Better font rendering
>>
>>57647348
I had the same argument before I started using package managers. Now I am so used to terminal and repos, downloading .exe files and managing registry cleanups is a hassle.

>>57647352
Windows cleartype is shit. I have bad eyes with floaters that become visible due to Windows rendering of desktop and fonts even with flux. On Linux I feet at ease working for long periods of time.
>>
>>57647362
>1366x768
>long periods of time
hueh
>>
>>57647255
>>Better font rendering
enjoy your distorted fonts
>>
>>57647373
>>57647379
Windows 10 does not even allow me to change my fonts or customize UI like older versions. I am forever stuck with Segoi UI 10pt for everything. There was a custom theme on DeviantArt but it no longer works after anniversary update.
>>
>>57647389
>market share
>free software
There are no market commodities for free software/ no investors for the GNU project
Of course there is technical/ developmental use behind linux/ GNU + Linux and donations from the freeware userbase, but the lack of marketing/ consumerist pricing for user-based software simply means that there is't going to be as an impression on the world
People will use the software, but on the broader perspective of what is "most suitable in education/ medicine/ science, the average home/older demographic", simply more people are going to use windows/mac platforms
>>
>>57647255
It's nothing to do with games. Most people don't play games on their computers. It's because, although any one of those things sounds nice, the system as a whole barely fucking works for desktop use.

I used desktop Linux (several different distros) for over a year, out of necessity.

>video flickers, tears, and judders
>if your hardware works then hooray, if it doesn't you're completely fucked with no hope of a workaround because nobody makes third party drivers
>if your printer is listed in the popup installer then hooray, otherwise you have to download command line software from the manufacturer, unpack it, fix the permissions, run as root, and answer the obscure vague prompts in a specific way
>hardly any professional tools are available (Office, Adobe suite, etc)
>have to rely on barely functional hacks like WINE
>installing anything that isn't in the official repo is horrendous
>either you add their repo/install a .deb/.rpm, requiring admin rights to install every trivial app
>or you download a static binary and if you're very lucky it might work after manually configuring permissions
>or you download and configure and compile the fucking C++ source code
>most distros don't have an upgrader, for those that do it breaks all the time
>it's practically accepted that you have to skip all except LTS releases of ubuntu (for example) because upgrading is so painful

I could go on and on.

IF your hardware is supported and IF all you do all day is browse with Chrome and drag files around, you will probably be okay and you can enjoy tweaking everything. This explains why it's popular amongst /g/entoomen, I think.

But for productive usage of non-browser software it is a fucking joke.
>>
I'm just passing through, but the lack of games would be my reason for not making the switch. I assume this is roughly the same reason it will never turn mainstream, since a large % of desktop users are avid gamers.
>>
Customisation and "choice" are a meme.

They don't appeal to normies who want "it just werks"

I mean fuck, I spent ages attempting to rice my Ubuntu then mint then some other shit before realising that unity is fine.

Idgaf now. - I moved on with my life and just use stock. It just werks.

Fuck fragmentation and shit.

Release a brand like os called "Linux"
With a button that goes "press here to start"

Done. Fucking loonix autists.
>>
>>57647446
>Fuck fragmentation and shit.
>Release a brand like os called "Linux"
>With a button that goes "press here to start"
That's pretty much the Ubuntu philosophy and it's still a fucking mess for all except optimal hardware and use cases.
>>
>>57647440
>Large % of desktop users are avid gamers

Lol get your head out of your ass, and go your side once in a while.

The vast majority of people couldn't tell command and conquer from world of StarCraft
>>
>>57647255
Which distro is this?
>>
>>57647440
Then why do they use OSX and ChromeOS? They have no games either. Yet many people use them as their main on Ultrabooks.
>>
File: scrot.png (146KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
146KB, 1366x768px
>>57647472
Ubuntu 16.04
>>
is this the new desktop general?

>depends on font
>if you can into root/config
>as above
>less hot singles in your area
>grey hair, sores on penis
>prolapsed anus

who am i quoting wtf

to be fair its literally only because windows ships with everything and dell ubuntus ship with unity rather than a choice despite the 100 euro lower price tag so laziness combined with consumer choice
>>
>>57647255
>What is keeping Linux from becoming mainstream desktop OS?
C O M P A T I B I L I T Y
>>
>>57647577
I failed to fresh install Windows 7 with WSUS. It keeps stuck at listing updates for 12 hours.

Windows 10 it downloads social media apps and games without my consent. Telemetry cannot be blocked as each cumulative update resets user settings. I saw no real advantage for me as I don't play gaymes on regular basis.

Finally threw in the towel and went with a beginner distro.
>>
>>57647255
1. BETTER DRIVERS and support
2. Professional software, Photoshop, CAD, Video editing SW, MS Office (not libre)
3. More users & market share
4. Latest Games
5. Pre-installation
6. Ruin habits
>>
>>57647255
>The blue outline around "Home" doesn't match up heightwise with the white part of the file explorer

This triggers my autism.
>>
>>57647653
Other themes like Numix and Paper fix it but increase the box sizes for places which triggers my autism.
>>
>>57647505
what theme/icons
>>
File: just.jpg (7KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
7KB, 259x195px
>>57647255
>What is keeping Linux from becoming mainstream desktop OS.

Only two things.

1. The public is uninformed
2. No one is selling it (and vicariously advertising it)

No one ever hears about it. No one ever sees it. No one is ever the wiser.

Apple and Microsoft have center stage, it's just that no one else has the cash to stand up there with them and it also happens to be the only stage anyone is standing at.
>>
>>57647699
linuxes userbase is what turns the most people away, its autistic and annoying (just look at gs lonix circlejerks)
>>
File: fetch.png (37KB, 564x283px) Image search: [Google]
fetch.png
37KB, 564x283px
>>57647697
>>
>>57647286
This is the right answer. The problem with FOSS is that almost none of software is advertised and you only hear about it directly from others or if you're already active it the FOSS community.
>>
>>57647725
>>57647744
perfect example for autism
>>
>>57647255
>Better font rendering
Can you provide info on this? since FreeType 2.7 infinality and friends are pretty much deprecated.
>>
>>57647699
You forgot the third thing:

3. It's shit and nobody wants it.
>>
>>57647765
I did side by side comparison using two laptops, Linux had better and less pixelated fonts than Windows 10 in both UI and Firefox.

You can test it yourself. Compiz is better than whatever compositor Windows uses.
>>
>>57647644
and youll be better off unless theres an obscure printer or phone involved therell be a little troubleshooting but when it fails theres active forums rather than going to windows forums being told to do the hokey pokey at 88mph before reformating
you can google hit the first three links and have the problem solved in 10 mins

good on ya mate
>>
>>57647271
>>Multi monitor support sucks (well in Ubuntu it kinda works)
if you don't mint using XFCE or configuring xorg.conf either manually or using some tool it works quite well actually
>>
>>57647801
I have a HP printer which was detected and configured when I plugged it in. Did not have to install any drivers. That was new.

My Android phone connects with Ubuntu and opens my SD card for copying data.

Nothing unusual so far.
>>
>>57647744
I'm starting to like you. I used to hate you, but you're beginning to grow on me. Too bad you're a dude.
>>
>>57647255
Overheating
>>
>>57647255
what DE is this?
>>
Only 2% of the world population has an IQ of 130 or above and all of them are already using Linux.
>>
>>57647891
see >>57647505 >>57647730
>>
>>57647255
>worse font rendering than os x
>more customization options and all of them are shit
>free of cost like os x
>>
>try to print something quick from printer
>both the printer and the desktop are aware of each other
>connection errors all around
>throw out the linux drive
HONESTLY WHAT A WASTE
Was fun while it lasted though~
>>
>>57647460
The vast majority of people who would use a computer enough to care about trivial things like what OS it uses and what its specs are would be...

Oh that's right-- Gamers.

You autists are pretty much the only ones who make the "gaymer" argument when it comes to whether or not Linux is a good choice. Not everybody wants to feel like hackerman, spending time typing in the console all day. They have even less desire to waste their gaming time deciphering a language they really have no use for if they're not working in a programming related field. You're a minority compared to gamers. Face it, freetard.
>>
>>57647989
Console is in the background now since Ubuntu and Mint became mainstream. You would be surprised how many normies use it, but you don't hear about it as there is no telemetry botnet gathering data on their activities.

Considering Unity has a literal babby tier interface and similar feel as OSX, normies can use it more easily than Windows 10.

really makes you think.
>>
>>57647746
And these are considered "nerds" which also has a negative effect so I guess the situation won't change any time soon
>>
>>57647255
it's shit
>>
>>57647255

people don't care/don't know/ about customization or control over the system
>>
My mother and father, both in their 60s, use Linux now. My mother because I got sick of cleaning viruses and stuff off her Windows OS and she hasn't had a problem in the two years since. My father switched by choice after Windows 10 installed itself on one of his machines.

Chrome OS is also getting really popular and Remix seems to be just about ready for mass adoption, so I think Linux is doing just fine, though perhaps not in the way that /g/ envisions it should be.
>>
>>57647255
>Better font rendering
Not something most people notice.
Which only gives regular users the potential to fuck everything up.
Turns out people rarely change defaults.
Nothing can protect people from themselves.
Piracy is a thing.
Only turbonerds do that.

None of the things you listed give Linux distros mainstream appeal.
>>
Because noone wants to rock around with configuration files. That's it.

"It just werks" isn't a good philosophy: when you need to fix or improve, you never know what to do, aka configuration files.

Just do a complete massive control panel where I can choose shit without looking up a syntax on the Internet. Nobody wants that shit
>>
>>57648319
not OP but one thing makes me think. you generally need special hardware for MacOS/ChromeOS (hackintosh doesnt count). casuals still choose to use windows on their laptops, even if they dont have any special software requirements. those people generally dont know how to pirate, from my experience. still they dont install the limux.
>>
>>57647332
My baytrail tablet on Win8 lasted longer than my other android tablets. Best phone on battery in the last couple years I've had is the OPO on the Sultan rom. CM usually destroys battery life in my experience but not in that case due to tweaks/kernel OOTB.
>>
>>57647744
at least this is a tame screenshot
>>
>>57647271
>>Bad battery life
better than windows with TLP, no joke. It's just magic
>>
>>57648319
This. Both of my parents use Ubuntu and they both complain because every now and then they need to access a site that needs Java or some other plugin (blame the site, not my parents - the IRS in my country is Java-based) and Java doesn't fucking work. Sometimes my cousins want to get to their computer to play some browser game and Unity is for Windows and Mac only? lol. Workaround is installed pipeline that doesn't work either.
They want to connect their smartphones and it doesn't recognize a simple MTF and I had to do some research and copy paste some commands into the terminal to create a new unit drive for each smartphone.

Anyway, the font rendering is really great but if you have a 1080p screen you won't have any problems with Windows 10 + MacType.
I installed the 14.04 builds and had no problem updating both of their machines to 16.04.

Linux is good for a Facebook machine. In my case I need the Adobe suite and dual booting is not worth the effort when I can everything I need on Windows. Besides, I use a Windows Phone so the symbiosis is great.
>>
>looks worse than Windows XP
>no easy installation tools
>horrible scaling on diferent resolutiob, it werks only on FHD properly
>updates break system
>cannot find anything using kde start menu, it is autistic
>if something breaks you mus learn hacking to fix it
>no soft
>>
>>57647271
Wait for retards to tell; "works on my machine" oh wait...
>>
I use Linux as my main OS on my T420, Windows on my desktop.
>>
ikr
>>
File: newerNeofetch.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
newerNeofetch.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
this is the new desktop thread
>>
>>57647255
Fucking bullshit to manage in large scale
>>
File: k.png (10KB, 755x417px) Image search: [Google]
k.png
10KB, 755x417px
>>
File: Untitled.png (696KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
696KB, 1280x1024px
>>57647255
>Installed Solus on VM
>Found out it has no Chinese IME
Sometimes the crucial fundamental features are just not there.
>>
>>57647306
Every nigger has an iPhone, not a Macbook Pro.
>>
>>57647271
>Bad battery life
nice b8 m8
>>
>>57647255
Nothing at this point.
I finally installed it on a lark and it blew me away.

How the fuck is it free? Or alternatively how can Windows or Mac charge anything?
>>
>>57650089

it's shit m8, you just picked a convenient font
>>
>>57647332
>It works perfectly fine for me. I'm using xmonad though, so if you are talking about the window management over multi-screen milage may differ.
Normies don't want to download 3rd party programs to use multiple monitors. They just want an operating system that just werks.
>>
Just install Solus on everyones computers. It's not that hard.
>>
>>57650514
Kevin... please
>>
>>57647255
>>Better font rendering
Better than Windows 7, but not much better than the latest operating systems.
>>More control over the system
At what cost? Normies don't want to dip into the terminal just to install a program.
>>More customization options
Aesthetics has no effect on productivity, also excessive customization slows down the OS.
>>More security against malware
Only because market share is low, if GNU/Linux was more popular, then there'd be just as much viruses.
>>Free of cost, lifetime upgrades
So is Windows 10 and MacOS.
>>Choice of designing your own system
from scratch
Clearly only autists find this important.
>>
>>57647407
wtf
>>
File: 1476421421248.png (520KB, 841x724px) Image search: [Google]
1476421421248.png
520KB, 841x724px
>>57647255
>>
>>57647286
I saw an ad for SUSE earlier today when I turned off adblock for a few minutes. Probably because I have so much Linux-related stuff in my search history, but still...
>>
>>57651253
That lock would be stupid if it was on a standard door, but if you had to use that lock to completely stop any robbers then it's not so stupid
>>
when you want to do anything besides brwose the internet and listen to music you have to google how to do everything

stuff randomly breaks

infinite forking

no games

maybe if wine worked perfectly with no need to spend 1 hr googling per thing you want to work linux can take over, but even then most people dont care about any of that: security customization speed is all useless to g4m3rtards who are the only people that capable of switching. old people and facebook users wont bother even if everything were retard proof

if windows was more customizable it would be cool
>>
>>57647255
>No folder preview

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>57651761
The chain has so much length. You can open the door and pass through. Accurate representation of Linux security.
>>
>>57651860
I wasn't talking about security, more usability.
>>
File: aaa.png (175KB, 759x912px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.png
175KB, 759x912px
>>57647255
THE GAME
>>
File: ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif (100KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
100KB, 500x272px
>>57651929
>>
>>57647271
>multi monitor support sucks
In my experience it works better than in windows. Unity and i3 tested.
>battery life sucks
no, install tlp and you are golden
>composition sucks
No, never had issues or seen them in person.
>no 3rd party software
Not true since most foss projects are technically 3rd party when not endorsed by GNU. Also not an os problem.
>>
File: 1474611629895.jpg (113KB, 1000x568px) Image search: [Google]
1474611629895.jpg
113KB, 1000x568px
>>57651253
The irony is that the Linux gang took this message to heart over the past 10 years and it's seriously there now. It's just a damn good easy to use operating system out of the box.

They listened and now there are about 10 plug-and-play normie proof distros that feel exactly like Windows.

It's kind of sad. They're like that nerdy kid sent on a snipe hunt who honestly looks for the snipe and he brings something back called a snipe and the cool kids still laugh at him and call him a faggot but he just smiles and thinks that next time he will do what they say again and he will be the cool kid one day, too.
>>
>>57647255
LINUX DOESN'T JUST WORK
STOP FORCING THIS MEME ALREADY
>>
>>57651929
>johnathan blow
the only other person less credible for criticizing linux is phil fish.
>>
>>57647255
1. Pirating
2. Pirating
3. Pirating
4. Lack of knowledge
>>
Linux fuckin sucks
source: used Linux
>>
>>57647352
>>Better font rendering
>Not really
I beg to differ. Windows' fonts and font rendering induces vomit
>>
>>57652217
It's fine at high DPI, same as Apple.
If you're not poor there's no problem
>>
>>57647255
Lack of proffesional software and vidya.
>pic related is my desktop
>>
>>57652227
It's fine at HDPi in Linux as well. If you are not a retard that's not a problem
>>
>>57652253
Yeah I know,
source: high dpi user (3840x2160 @17 inches)
>>
>>57652166
explain further
>>
Linux still doesn't and probably will never support muh government PDFs. It's literally the only reason why I have a Windows partition.
>>
>>57652335
>being poor and needing food stamps
>have to buy a Windows license just for pdfs

sucks man
>>
>>57647255
It's pretty mainstream in the workplace.
>>
>>57652335
what do you mean by PDF?

plenty of linux pdf software
>>
>>57647255
Never tried it. I'm pretty sick of window's update shit, and forcing 10, and 10 sounds terrible. So I'm going to try it soon.
>>
>>57652323
If pirating windows and windows exclusive programs were prevented, normal people would look for cheaper options. Most people do not require Autodesk CAD or Lightroom because they were niche softwares.

What normal people actually want is to use Office suite and a browser. Hence they would easily pick Linux over $100+ windows with $300 more softwares such as adobe suite or Autodesk and anti malware.

Microsoft KNOWS that they owe a big favor to the pirates for making their OS reach to the masses without any costs. They are also thankful that windows exclusive programs do not actually need you to spend any money.

This is why Windows will never have a serious software repo like iOS, Android and OSX. Because if they pushed the devs to release windows builds via those repos pirating would instantly stop.

I wish illegal software downloads were stopped so people would actually start adopting things that respect your freedom. This way, the userbase would grow and many more software would get ported to Linux.
>>
>>57652361

>he gives the botnet his tax information

loving
every
lel

>>57652383

Nothing supports core features like filling out embedded forms.
>>
>>57652335
Foxit reader works in Linux
>>
>>57652455

>he installs chink botnet programs

I bet you bought a chinkphone too.
>>
>>57652451
>filling out embedded forms.
I've done it with evince before. For my uni stuff.
>>
The fact that it doesn't come pre-installed on most OEM computers.

95% of the people will never install a different OS and they don't give a fuck about what their computer runs. Most people don't even know that you can install a different OS.
>>
>>57652464
>bitches over foxit reader
>installs windows
>>
File: mind blown.gif (353KB, 450x257px) Image search: [Google]
mind blown.gif
353KB, 450x257px
>>57652445
>Microsoft KNOWS that they owe a big favor to the pirates for making their OS reach to the masses without any costs
>>
>>57647255
The choice mostly
Since there isn't only 1 "linux" to go for, and when you google what's the best you get a bunch of sperg lords arguing people don't know what to pick
And if they don't know what to pick they just choose to stick with what they already have that works just fine.
>>
>>57652496
Yup. And they know full well how KMS auto/pico finds a loop in microsoft product activation. Those things are on their database.

And yet their product is not patched to go around that exploit.
>>
>>57652445
>pirating windows
Almost nobody pirates windows. It comes preinstalled when they buy their shitty OEM laptop.

People who actually build their own desktop are a tiny percentage of all computer users.
>>
>>57647255
What is that? Fedora or what distribution?
>>
>>57647255
I'm using it right now, Kevin this shit sucks ass, it fucking uses SystemD and X11, both are cancer, only things I like about it are font rendering and the package manager
>>
>>57647255
How can you render the font like that on Fedora? Can you say, please?
>>
>>57647255
the problem is obvious: TempleOS is just too good and popular. Most people use that and are just happy everything works fine. They don't care about any other OS. Give up GNU/Linux faggets. Ubuntu doesn't even come with a decent port of godsay....
>>
>>57652548
>Almost nobody pirates windows
Not really. It does come with OEM license, however the computers get fucked over the days and they run to a family tech guy to fix it. And thus pirated windows gets installed.

And pirated third party software? Lmao just look at the number of seeds and leeches in tpb or wherever.
>>
>>57647255

>nothing works right
>tons of competing distributions
>tons of different versions of the same software

I tried Linux as my primary desktop again about a year ago. I wanted to use a Bluetooth keyboard for when I'm watching movies from bed. There were like two or three different Bluetooth stacks to use, and it wasn't clear which one I was supposed to install. I think this was on I forget which distribution, using Gnome.

KDE, Gnome, which DE, all this shit is ridiculously confusing, and places like /g/ are unhelpful shit-talkers if you don't know what you're doing.

Straight Ubuntu isn't bad, and the Ubuntu community is pretty helpful. But I'd still boot up occasionally and find that my USB sound card was mysteriously disabled.

It's an Operating System. It's the most fundamental layer of software to enable basic operations. I'm not willing to invest a whole lot of time simply to boot the fuck up and run the programs I want to.
>>
Can I encrypt Fedora on install like Ubuntu?
>>
>>57652646
> places like /g/ are unhelpful shit-talkers if you don't know what you're doing

Thats why you never ask /g/ for help. Go to the stack exchange or join the damn IRC if you need help.
>>
>>57652688

SQT should be changed to "Useless Non-Answers and Unnecessary Emotional Abuse".

That said, all the help in the world doesn't make up for the fact that people don't want to fuck around that much *just to make their basic OS work*.
>>
File: he said ie is king.jpg (237KB, 502x307px) Image search: [Google]
he said ie is king.jpg
237KB, 502x307px
>>57652688
I discovered that you'd never get an answer to a problem from Linux Gurus by asking. You have to troll in order for someone to help you with a Linux problem. For example, I didn't know how to find files by contents and the man pages were way too confusing. What did I do? I knew from experience that if I just asked, I'd be told to read the man pages even though it was too hard for me. Instead, I did what works. Trolling. By stating that Linux sucked because it was so hard to find a file compared to Windows, I got every self-described Linux Guru around the world coming to my aid. They gave me examples after examples of different ways to do it. All this in order to prove to everyone that Linux was better. So if you're starting out Linux, I advise you to use the same method as I did to get help. Start the sentence with "Linux is gay because it can't do XXX like Windows can". You will have PhDs running to tell you how to solve your problems.

pasta-troll, pasta-usenet, pasta-professor
>>
>>57647505
luks like shit kys
>>
>>57652811
This isn't a GNU/Linux specific problem but a problem with the internet in general.

But yeah I know how you feel. I used Arch for years and the community is a bunch of dickfaces. The docs are great but I don't want to read 400 pages 3 textbooks and 20 research papers to get my wifi working from console...
>>
>>57653130
>How to spot an illietrate nigger by spelling
>>
>>57648744
pls post spooky ghost script
>>
>elitist uni
>students who run linux have a leg up on those who dont because thats how the courses are designed
>install linux
>troubleshoot all the bugs i can

yet it still...
>turns my battery life to shit
>running my nvidia card makes my laptop hot enough to fry an egg
>have to switch to onboard card
>even chrome has bugs, screen flickering, etc.
>pc still running a bit hot
>look online for solutions
>"well just underclock your cpu" ...bitch i paid for the components, i expect to use them
>some of the freeware wont uninstall properly, sticks to the system, causes errors when installing updates
>dont even fucking think about installing the new kernel, unless you're a /g/ weeb who's developing kernel's in their spare time already

golly, i wonder why loonix isnt more widespread op...
>>
>>57650113
>kelvinnet
you mean kevinnet
>>57650514
>youtube and yoga
i knew you were a fag
>>
>>57647301
>how2rice
>lmgtfy
>>
>>57647271
Mint Cinnamon + TLP is godlike and covers all the first three points of yours, about the no 3rd party software you're right, but if you don't need photoshop or shit like that you're fine.
I never had problem doing data science on mint
>>
>>57653340
It's an inside joke between me and my girlfriend.
>>
Honestly, I really wish Linux had full video game support that Windows has. If it could run windows software, I would switch in a heartbeat.

I couldn't even properly play a modded Civ4 because it was lagging like shit through Wine.

Dealbreaker. It's a fun way to spend evenings, fuck the haters.
>>
>>57653642
usually inside jokes are kept between the people who actually understand the reference.
>>
>>57647255
Normies
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
It needs more shills. The community has to learn how to shill.

Take youtube for example. Microsoft tricked the fine bros into doing publicity for them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucCxtgN6sc

The GNU/Linux community should request the fine bros to do a teens react to GNU + Linux episode. Anyone saying otherwise is a microcuck shill and should be ignored.
>>
>>57653791
nice subject switching, cuck
>>
>>57647255
You get branded as a terrorist by three letter agencies if you uee it.
>>
The only problem I have with installing Linux distros on my specific laptop, is the fact that it is so difficult to install drivers for "Switcheable graphic cards" (Intel/ATI).

It's infuriating, since I really want to use Linux on my laptop, but without the shitty driver that only plugs into the Motherboard GPU
>>
File: 200_s.gif (13KB, 196x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
13KB, 196x200px
>>57653843
>if you uee it
what did he mean by this
>>
>>57647255
TL;DR normie scum
>Better font rendering
through effort, however minimal

Part of the reason there's so little malware for linux is that it has such a small userbase
few users will put up with a relatively limited software library, and the mainstream OSs would likely try to monetize it anyway, leading to even greater discontent

lifetime of upgrades being necessary, too

People fucking hate having to do things to make their computer work, there's a reason "it just werks" is a meme
/g/ users are a drastic minority (this should be obvious)

Very few are actually using ChromeOS, too, and OSX is designed to work with very specific hardware, it's a relative pain to get hackintoshes running
>>
File: 1475861567364.jpg (32KB, 447x456px) Image search: [Google]
1475861567364.jpg
32KB, 447x456px
>>57653339

Depends on the computer dawg, and distro
>>
>>57653905
>implying
friendly reminder ubuntu was a gamechanger
>>
File: 125.gif (1MB, 303x307px) Image search: [Google]
125.gif
1MB, 303x307px
>>57653899
*if you use it
Typo, my man.
>>
>>57653929
>friendly reminder ubuntu was a gamechanger
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

>linux is its own category
>still behind WinXP
>>
File: 2817061.png (169KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
2817061.png
169KB, 600x700px
>>57653946
>>
>>57647255
constantly breaks

too hard to fix

extremely unpolished

not user friendly at all

no games or software in general
>>
Here come the cucks.
>>
>>57647255
>Must know C++, Java, and Pascal to install
>Navigate through pages of command lines to set up
>No support for Windows programs without emulator
>Unintuitive user interfaces
Gee, I wonder why?
>>
I told you Microsoft had a shitload of cucks.
>>
>>57647255
No support from most good games, which is the only reason someone would own a desktop over a laptop. Laptop support for Linux sucks.
>>
>>57654030
>Must know C++, Java, and Pascal to install
lol exclusive wintoddler's POV on Linux
>>
>>57654163
Name me a linux distro that boots straight into a GUI installer.
>>
>>57654184
KDE Neon
>>
>>57654222
Does its GUI installer check for trips, and does it give straightforward instructions in legible English?
>>
>>57647255

>over complicated
>0% compatibility with other version of linux, let alone windows
>no games
>entire community is hateful retards

gee... I really wounder why linux only has 0.1% market share.
>>
>>57654238
Will a video help toddlers such as yourself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OpcV1liWiA
>>
>>57654291
I'm impressed. What must be done to invoke the installation process?
>>
>>57647407

>windows 10

you really need to upgrade to windows 7.
>>
>>57654322
Aww that video wasn't windows user (aka retard) friendly enough?

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6R037-x6PM
>>
Everyone uses windows, or other normie os' because that's what comes on the machine, no normal person is going to change their os. Of Linux was pretty installed on computers people would use and figure it out like anything else.
>>
File: 1470385254366.png (1MB, 939x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1470385254366.png
1MB, 939x1284px
>>57647255
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57654360
This.
>>57654370
Not always. I've had plenty of clients buy Windows 10 computers, or get upgraded to Windows 10 without their consent, and they've requested I put 7 on the machine instead.
>>
>>57653922
why can't it just work fampai?
>>
>>57654411
""Secure"" boot faggotry most of the times
>>
>better font rendering
Austism at its finest.
>>
>>57654446
Windows looks pretty shit, admit it
>>
Too confusing for normies(and normies are very, very retarded with computers.)

Not enough software support for people who use computers.
>>
>>57650514
Why does sound not work on my laptops you bitch. ANSWER ME.
>>
>>57653694
Well I mean we're normally on my laptop together so... yeah.
>>
>>57654621
Probably your sound card famalam.
>>
>>57654398
That's because they've used Windows 7 for years and don't want to be bothered with anything else. That's literally what the other anon was saying, they used Windows first and they used it for a long time.
But if you never give your kid a Windows PC and let him/her use, let's say Ubuntu, for 5-10 years they're gonna prefer Ubuntu or any GNU/Linux over Windows and will probably always install it over Windows on their new computers.
>>
>>57647332
>I have always had better battery life with linux that with windows on my machines.
>I haven't done much of that (power saving tweaks) for windows.
kek
>>
I'm using ChromeOS right now.

The fact of the matter is: It just werks.
>>
>>57647627
underrated post
>>
>>57647255
You can't use AD easily on Linux and I don't feel like fucking with my laptop for hours trying to make it work. My workstation is running a superior *nix anyway.

>>57647271
Multimonitor works if you're not retarded. I was multiple displays on i3wm just fine.

>>57647286
This. Canonical, SUSE and Red Hat have the money to shill Linux all over the place, but the most I've ever seen was an ad for System76.
>>
File: 1454716884614.jpg (49KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1454716884614.jpg
49KB, 500x667px
>>57647725
>Someone criticizes a piece of software.
>He responds with ad hominem.
And this is why will never come back to the insecure windows herd.
>>
>>57647271
>No 3rd party software support (Photoshop, Video editing software etc...)

True to certain extent but take this pasta for your own amusement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
http://cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
https://youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
http://www.sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
http://www.peppercarrot.com/
>>
>>57650514
Fuck off Kevin. No one likes Solus.
>>
>>57651816
>>57654002
>>57654058
>>57654285
>games

The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
>>
>>57650619
Holy shit a fucking intelligent person who gets it for once.
>>
>>57653208
>>57654285
see >>57654971
>>
>>57650619
>Windows
>Free of cost
lol
>>
>>57654996
Ok, name at least one successful >10 million dollar film made with Blender, some design firms using Krita+Gimp+Inkscape or a company that uses freeCAD on a daily basis.
>>
>>57647407
google Winaerotweaker
>>
>>57650619
>>57655036
>Better than Windows 7, but not much better than the latest operating systems.
Debatable at best.

>At what cost? Normies don't want to dip into the terminal just to install a program.
Not true, i have recommended linux to friends and relatives that doesn't know anything about computers and uses it fine. The real problem is for the so called "windows power users" because they have invested a lot of time learning windows. They have invested a lot of their pride on windows-only products ,it's normal to be scared of the possibility of a competitor to become popular making it evident that you have still a lot to learn.

>Aesthetics has no effect on productivity, also excessive customization slows down the OS.
Sour grapes at best, trying to sell the lack of a feature will not work.

>Only because market share is low, if GNU/Linux was more popular, then there'd be just as much viruses.
A computer cannot distinguish a desired operation from an undesired operation, the best you can do is to use heuristics. What you should be looking at is at the development and distribution model.

>So is Windows 10 and MacOS.
True but the terms of usage are not nearly the same, check that first.

>Holy shit a fucking intelligent person who gets it for once.
>Clearly only autists find this important.
This is what you call intelligent? I guess for you it is.
>>
File: spiderman_2.png (232KB, 295x1067px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman_2.png
232KB, 295x1067px
>>57655071
Of course most of these open source tools are not nearly as well known as their proprietary competitors but i wanted to show what it can be done with tools available on linux because some people says that there's no professional software on linux, the fact you only mentioned some of the open source ones means you don't have any problem with the proprietary ones available for linux in my post am i right?

>Ok, name at least one successful >10 million dollar film made with Blender
If you put it like this is hard to tell because i need to research how much each movie earned. Blender is pretty commonly used in commercials, in that sense it's pretty easy to find ads that uses blender, but i'm not sure how often is used on holywood for example because it's not something always mentioned.
The quickest i could do is to look at wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#Use_in_the_media_industry
It says the first largue project that used blender was Spider-Man 2 which got "$40.4 million in its first day" according to wikipedia, so i guess it meets your criteria.

>some design firms using Krita
I'm not sure how to find this but maybe this can help:
https://krita.org/en/item/using-krita-for-arc-comics/
https://krita.org/en/item/interview-with-paolo-puggioni/
https://krita.org/en/item/interview-with-bruno-fernandez/
https://krita.org/en/item/interview-with-matteo-pescarin/
https://krita.org/en/item/interview-with-esfenodon/
http://www.kateoleska.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZzfQf_I7ws
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/inkscape-jobs
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/gimp-jobs
http://www.simplyhired.com/search?q=inkscape
http://www.simplyhired.com/search?q=gimp
>>
>>57655719
>or a company that uses freeCAD on a daily basis
I don't know about freecad tho, because even if it's a great tool it's under heavy development and it's not recommended for a production environment even if it's commonly used by hobbyists for 3D printing. At the moment you can do some impressive things as i proved with the links but i'm not sure if a company would like to use it for daily usage.

As mentioned, you avoided lightworks and bricscad which are propietary and available on linux.
I think i'll add maya and siemens NX (CAD) to the pasta too.
>>
>>57647255
>Better font rendering
lol wat.
Fonts on linux look like complete shit to the point where it gives me headaches trying to read something.

It's one of the main reasons keeping me away from Linux.
>>
>>57655769
if you're using a DE or any popular distro, that is objectively false.

Windows has terrible font rendering, and OS-X blurrs it, then apple hides it with High DPI dispalys.
>>
>>57655769
Are you retarded? Font in OSX and Linux looks decent while in windows it's utter dogshit
>>
>>57647255
>What is keeping Linux from becoming mainstream desktop OS? People are using ChromeOS and MacOS without Windows exclusive games, so this should be no different.

True but consider the following:
- Microsoft has deals with hardware companies, so most laptop and desktop computers comes bundled with their products.
- Most people uses whatever comes bundled with the hardware and i can bet a lot of them doesn't even know what is an operative system and that you can choose it. If the brand "Windows" were related to quality then WP would be the most used mobile operative system because the demand would be high.
- Microsoft has deals with schools, so people is trained from a young age to use microsoft products. For a lot of them it's a question of being a comfort zone, not even about the difficulty. I can say this because in my own experience most windows users never solve their own problems, they ask other people to solve their problems.
- Microsoft has a huge lock-in with their formats and APIs. Independently on if we can consider they products are good or bad, the fact is that they use anti-competitive measures to lock their users and developers. For example their document formats doesn't honors the "ISO standard" they supposedly issued. If they care about interoperability with competing solutions they would use the well documented version of their format. But no, they uses their dominant position to push a version of the format only they know exactly how it works (interestingly and despite this, i have gotten problems even with different versions of MSO). Most of the documents in this format are created with MSO and most people doesn't even knows about the strict version of the format, this makes their format a moving target for competitors at best. Their development tools is another good example if a lock-in, they only care about compatibility on markets where they're losing like server or mobile.
>>
Software Compatibility.

There are many programs that are not formatted or available on linux... But for windows there are programs for everything. Same thing with OS X, there are just some applications that won't work the same on linux or even work at all
>>
>>57657283
>What is keeping Linux from becoming mainstream desktop OS? People are using ChromeOS and MacOS without Windows exclusive games, so this should be no different.
The difference is that using Linux is a choice, you have to install it yourself. Windows, MacOS or ChromeOS is the default you get buy the corresponding computer.

Most people don't care enough to make a choice about their OS, or have the capability to install an OS.
>>
Originality. If there were no Windows and macOS how would Linux look like, if they had no major OS design to copy?
>>
>>57657831
>if they had no major OS design to copy?
Change a well established paradigm is not a good idea even if you can. To be fair a lot of features added in recent versions of windows and mac existed on linux a lot of time before.
>>
File: mac os menu bar.png (134KB, 757x187px) Image search: [Google]
mac os menu bar.png
134KB, 757x187px
Menu bar on top > On top of the window.

Menu on top is what professional prefer.
>>
>>57647271
What the fuck does no third party software support mean? Do you seriously think every piece of software on every Linux distro is written by the Linux distro itself
>>
>>57658069
It's possible that he means it doesn't have the very specific set of memeware he uses that he only uses because it is the very specific set of memeware available for Windows and he's not used to using the alternatives
>>
>>57647301
>what is arc dark theme
>>
>>57647440
>PC gaming

grow up
>>
>>57658206
>posting on 4chan
grow up

wew i did it
>>
>>57647255
>linux font rendering
>anything but disgusting SHIT

WEW
>>
>>57647255
If Linux is good, why there are over 9000 versions of it?
People don't have time to google whether they should install Fedora/Ubuntu/XYZ and just buy a safe bet - a Windows OS or MAC with pre-installed OS.

I blame Linux unpopularity on sheer number of distros, ordinary people are not stupid, they can tell that Linux devs can't really get along, thus Linux is not worth using.
>>
>>57647440
lots of indie games have linux support these days

http://store.steampowered.com/linux
>>
File: I-am-gay.jpg (30KB, 470x419px) Image search: [Google]
I-am-gay.jpg
30KB, 470x419px
>>57647255
>linux
>>
>>57659313
Windows font rendering is 90 times worse than any OS
>>
File: 1466422342777.jpg (246KB, 643x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466422342777.jpg
246KB, 643x960px
>>57659371
>Not Linux
>>
>>57659372
no it's the best, mac fonts are blurry for "muh accuracy" which is the only reason they're pushing the retina meme, to offset how shit it is

linux is just smeared all over the place, absolute garbage

cleartype is crisp on any resolution and has reasonable accuracy
>>
>>57659498
No it's absolutely vomit inducing. The walled garden of cleartype is boring and horrendous. Try installing another font and see how the whole rendering crumbles down. This is because windows' font rendering is poorly put together, ultimately becoming a piece of shit
>>
>>57659573
any font looks good
>>
Off the top of my head...

Popular programs that many people use are either not available on Linux without the use of ugly hacks like Wine, or are severely behind on updates compared to their OSX & Windows versions. The alternatives usually look like some neglected side-project.

Typically from the Linux community you'll find responses to this such as "You shouldn't use this program because freedoms" (self-explanatory). There's also the factor of low userbase making Linux a loss to develop & maintain for.

Hardware driver support is still far from where they are on Windows, even considering the messy transition between XP and Vista/7. Proprietary drivers also suffer from the pretentious "You shouldn't use this" ideal. Open-source drivers typically suffer from lack of developments or poor performance/reliability, or straight up don't support the devices they were written to support.

The probability that, regardless of if you install unvetted packages or you stick to built-in stable repos, at some point you will have a problem arise that will require going into the terminal to resolve. And the possibility that your system may brick itself after a kernel update.

The requirement of using the terminal to change anything but the simplest of system settings.

Systemd.

ALSA.

The fact that developers are only just replacing X, which in its current implementation is what, ten years old or something?

Many different core libraries for applications that depend on a variety of different things; think having to install libraries from entirely different graphics environments just to use one application.

[...]
>>
>>57659708
DWM is 10 years old this year, the problem is X was shit from day 1
>>
>>57659704
>any
You have to install a fucking 3rd party software to change explorer and window border fonts. Gives you an idea how little control windows gives you over your own PC
>>
>>57659708
Really, though, one thing that really hurts Linux is that the people who DO attempt to adopt it as their DD typically have to fight to get it into a state that they want. If it's any of the issues mentioned above, they either have to dig through poorly written or unnecessarily complex documentation, read through dozens of sites and forums to find one of many different possible "solutions", hoping that it works because diagnosing issues is a chore when almost everything is subject to possible regression over time.

If they can't find a solution to their problem they will ask, and more often than not they'll be met with hostility. "There's a search function, you know" is a typical response.

Linux isn't very welcoming to the average person. That's why it's not mainstream. I don't know why I wrote all this up just to say that, but that's all it boils down to.

Linux will never be mainstream. It's this way by design.
>>
>>57659708
>The requirement of using the terminal to change anything but the simplest of system settings.
Linux is pretty good at it.

Try making a batch install of softwares
>>
>>57659742
why would you want to change the font when segoe is great?

cleartype renders pretty much any text in any application, including the text tool in paint, any font looks good
>>
>>57647271
>bad battery life
This is a terrible statement. It could certainly be true in some cases but just as easily not.

It takes me about 30 minutes off a fresh install to pull atleast 3 hours extra battery out of my SVP than id get in windows
>>
>>57659814
>it takes 30 minutes of fiddling by an expert to get good battery life

>this is supposed to be good
>>
>>57647271
>Bad Multi monitor support
Nigga even arch does "just weeks" multi monitor support straight out of the box.
>>
>>57659951
Its absolutely dependent on the hardware in question. The best thing normies can do to improve battery life is to install and use "powertop"

It will detect bad values (for battery life) and recommend adjustments, or apply them for you. Its in the fedora repos:

#sudo dnf install powertop -y
#sudo systemctl start powertop.service; sudo systemctl enable powertop.service

In most cases this will quite noticeably improve battery life
>>
>>57647255
the fact that it's buggy as shit and has problems all over when doing anything
>>
>>57647255

anyone who has used linux knows why it's not mainstream
>you have to read tutorials in order to install them
>something always doesn't work right
>buggy

fedora is the only distro i use because all other distros don't work the way i want them to. with opensuse, for example, i can't get mpv to work on it. i can't get japanese ime to work on manjaro
>>
>>57653339
>>running my nvidia card makes my laptop hot enough to fry an egg

Congratulations, same here three years ago with my hp pavilion. cantbelieve this is STILL a problemafter all this time. I feel you.

Why dont they jsut at least make a fucking desktop button to switch OFF the dedicated card if they cannot get the automatic switching right?
>>
>>57660053
Its not a thread about wether or not good battery life is possible on linux or not. Its a thread about that the average user DOES NOT WANT to deal with shit like that when they can just pay for an operating system which does it automatically.

Some people work for their living and some of them earn significantly more money in that 30 minutes than could ever be saved by doing it themselves.

also, implying this powertop shit even works which, as you admit yourself, in some cases, most i claim, does not and there is no real way of knowing up front.
>>
>>57647271
>composition sucks
It works fine. Give me an example to test.
>bad battery life
My XPS varies a lot, but I'd say 8 to 10 hours on normal usage.
>multi monitor support
Works just fine.
>no 3rd party support (photoshop, video editing, etc)
There's no etc, that's really it: adobe software and the best video editors. Even Spotify is available for Ubuntu.
>>
>>57660232
>People who make millions per minute don't care
Always the same argument. Just use whatever you want.
>most, I claim
No one cares what you claim because you've never used powertop in your life. I haven't found a system where it didn't work, just systems where the effect was less obvious.
>>
>>57655026
Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.
>>
>>57660384
I wouldn't have my college degree and my job if it weren't for Linux.
>>
>>57660130
>you have to read tutorials in order to install them
This is false. Most Linux distributions have an easy installation, just like any Windows OS. Obviously, you will have to look online on how to install an OS if you've never done it before.
>something always doesn't work right
All operating systems have this problem.
>buggy
All operating systems have this problem.
>>
>>57660383
i can point you to an ubuntuforums de thread where I desperately try to get my sandybridge to stop burning away my battery and the answer is pretty much
>lolno not compatible git fucked not for productive machines

>millions
not about millions a minute, just a regular, everyday income of normal people who need to supply family anyway.

My impression is, that the linux community got hooked by the whole no gaymes meme and desperately tried to increase gaming performance, while forgetting about the most basic things,compatibility, reliability, fail-safe, out-of-the-box solutions, etc.
>>
>>57658069
>>57658090
I mean that Linux doesn't have 3rd party software generally used in professional environments. I'm not saying there aren't any 3rd party software. I'm just saying the support is worse.

>>57660011
When I tested Fedora(Gnome3), Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Kubuntu only Ubuntu worked correctly when I had dual monitor setup where there is an external monitor over my laptop screen.

>>57660304
Take any distro without Compiz/Compton and you'll get tearing when watching Youtube videos. Compiz is a huge pile of shit that drains your battery in minutes. Compton is okay but has it's own problems when rendering GTK3 windows and it's almost too simple + it's not well integrated in any distro.
>>
>>57647255
Is that how font rendering on Ubuntu looks out of the box, or did you modify something?

REALLY need to know.
>>
>>57647306
>>57650135
every nigger stole an iphone from a rich guy
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.