[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do my fellow sysadmins do in a normal day? Just got my first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: sysadmin1-300x227[1].jpg (24KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
sysadmin1-300x227[1].jpg
24KB, 300x227px
What do my fellow sysadmins do in a normal day?
Just got my first tech job as a Sysadmin for a small bank. Feel like they might catch on that I don't do much when there are only 30 desktops and before I arrived they outsourced their support to a vendor that they still wont get rid of because they support their ecommerce.
>>
>>57643315
how much do you get paid?
>>
>>57643384
$18/hr I just find it hard to fill an 8 hour day it feels. I'm so used to busting my ass doing construction working inside just feels really lazy. I've been reading compliance manuals to make sure the department is up to date but we only have 2 servers
>>
>>57643437
You're doing well, work hard while you still have the motivation. Then learn to enjoy dicking around while looking busy when your supervisor walks by.
>>
>>57643462
Oh man, I thought all the stories were lucky situations but this can't really be it. My desk is inside the server room so its the only one without a camera or windows.
>>
>>57643487
Here's a tip: watch what you eat/drink.
Since you've been working construction, you've been burning a lot of calories while at work, this is no longer the case, if you don't watch yourself you'll blow up like a blimp.
>>
I guess all you have to do is not get fired.. I'm honestly looking for a job like that, it seems like a dream.

How soon can you just work remotely?
>>
>>57643541
I haven't even thought of that... I think if I do that too soon they'll be able to discern that I do nothing that their existing support didn't already do. They had one of their guys come onsite my first day to help me replace their switches and one server and I guess he gave me a really good recommendation before he left so hopefully that'll get me far.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something really obvious every sysadmin did to fill their time.

>>57643487
I definitely will, thank you. I think I already need to start actually running after work to keep this fat off but its been raining a lot lately.
>>
>>57643315
Post in /net/ la >>57600617
>>
I just applied for a sys admin job today. I'm not sure I'm qualified. It said I need to know how to "manage day to day system administration of Windows Server environments".

What exactly are day to day system administration tasks?
>>
>>57643718
Thats pretty much what I was wondering too. For me that is making sure our backups got done and the daily tapes are exchanged, fixing individual user problems like resetting passwords if needed. and making sure no errors popup. As long as their system is setup properly its not hands on at all. If you have an interview I would just say that you are familiar with all the tools that are used in windows server. and maybe flaunt knowledge of all microsoft products because people who have been using word for 20 years still don't know how to select all or alt-click
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.