[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate systemd? I don't like it because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1477725647311.jpg (255KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1477725647311.jpg
255KB, 1080x1920px
Why do people hate systemd? I don't like it because I find it confusing.
>>
>>57637447
It is turning Linux into something else, and fundamentally more similar to Windows. It was forced into the main distros by means of politics and deception rather than on technical merits. This is already bad enough, but it's nowhere the complete list of everything that's wrong with it. Too bad that Linus Torvalds didn't stand against it, he might have have prevented systemd's proliferation, but turned a blind eye instead.
>>
>>57637855
/thread
>>
>>57637855
What I mean is; what's wrong with it?
>>
>>57638950
Because it doesn't do its primary function nearly as well as it should (given that function's critical importance), tries to do too many secondary things, and then worms its way into having other projects depend on it, which is by no means necessary.
>>
>>57638950

>>57638545
>>
File: sysdshit.png (122KB, 1228x754px) Image search: [Google]
sysdshit.png
122KB, 1228x754px
>>57638950
systemd is just an init system!!!!!
>>
>>57637447
I will explain via an analogy:

Systemd is to Linux as ObamaCare is to the real world.
>>
>>57639794
but if we cut Obamacare Boogie2298 will die

captcha: ISIS SACHS
>>
>>57637855
so nothing, good
>>
Is this something that only effects developers because I never really cared about it. Maybe when I decide to get off my ass and learn more than just "Hello World" I will understand.
>>
I hate it because nobody actually knows what it is yet autists still sperg about it on /g/
>>
>>57640938
It's not something an average user interacts with much, and developers ideally should not need to interact with it much. However, if you call yourself an admin or claim you know something about UNIX internals and yet don't know this, you're full of shit.
Init system itself is the part that spawns your daemons (background services), and keeps them alive. It also boots and shuts down your system, mostly.
Systemd first claimed to be that, but by this point it's trying to be pretty much the entirety of low-level userspace stack, that is, basically govern as much of the internals as it can. See >>57639086
People don't like it because it's one piece of software to manage lots of different tasks of once, which is not the UNIX way. People don't like its creator, Lennart Poettering, and his team, they have a history of bad development practices. People don't like it because it for some reason tries to make lots of other software, which should have no dependency on it, dependent on it. People don't like it because it's more like something out of Windows proprietary ecosystem than the UNIX open ecosystem we're used to. Some even see it as an attack on the nature of Linux itself, trying to make it acquire shit parts of Windows, in hope that this way normies won't be able to distinguish between those.
The parts it governs are also extremely important, so if they're compromised or have shit security, you could wreck a lot of havoc with the control systemd will give to exploits. That's why both design decisions and the character of developers are considered really important for such a project, if it's a good idea at all. Unfortunately, those don't inspire much trust.
But everybody uses it now. It spread itself. And many either don't know or don't care, because it fulfils most of its tasks better than init system before it did, and they still think it's just a new fancy init system. Also, it has lots of functionality.
And switching from it is hard for users who want it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.