[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a guest over who isn't really an acquaintance,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 12.jpg (103KB, 276x699px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
103KB, 276x699px
I've got a guest over who isn't really an acquaintance, he's more of a family member's acquaintance, but he insisted on a wired lan connection (he's staying in the house for free) and basically he's a bandwidth whore. Last night he basically ate 95% of the allocated and even text sites have trouble loading.

I know this because when I disconnect the cable the net goes back to normal. Now, today it's something different. Today I can't even download stuff off steam, I have no access to the steam cloud, and battlenet won't login. The weird thing is when I speedtest, I get normal numbers and the net is still usable. So I do the cable thing (we only learn when we experiment) and lo and behold, Battlenet works again, and Steam can download again.

Am I just being paranoid or is my internet getting hijacked?
>>
>>57619954
QoS
>>
>>57619954
Set him a quota.
>>
>he hasn't been preparing to move out for months

enjoy always being inconvenienced by the actions of other people
>>
Just freaking stand up and tell him/her to stop being a data hog - better yet block their MAC Address and tell them you aren't sure why their laptop isn't working...it will drive them nuts and you can RPG your heart out.
>>
>>57619986
Seconded
>>
Your router has a configuration webpage, if it's a good router it will have an option to limit the bandwidth to a certain extent.

Limit his bandwidth to about 75% of your max bandwidth, for example of you have 100Mb/s DL speeds, limit him to somewhere around 75Mb/s.

This will allow everyone to freely do normal tasks requiring internet.

tfw decent router running OpenWRT, DOCSIS3 modem, cat6 ethernet cables, everything has gigabit NICs.

I don't know that feel.
>>
>>57619999

>enjoy always being inconvenienced by the actions of other people

So like american laws?
>>
I'm really sorry I know I'm invading a different forum, but I'm at my wit's end.

I don't have a router, this is just the stock modem that the isp provided. The settings are pretty barebones, and they haven't been altered and it's a question of decorum, or otherwise I would have confronted him already.

Steam won't download shit, and Battlenet won't even log me in so I can see my friends list, but when I remove the his cable, everything works. I can even play with no lag. (it used to be 300 ping but now the damned thing is unusable)

I can still browse fine, and shit loads, hell even 4chan loads now (which is nice considering it didn't used to yesterday)

I was fine sharing the internet but if I don't get to fucking use it for the thing I'm paying it for, well what's the point of having internet then.
>>
>>57619986
>>57620155
>>57620036
This. QoS that NEET "guest". Most routers have basic QoS options, use them. Alternatively man up and tell the parasite to behave or not get to use it at all. The leech is probably torrenting or something with a program that has bandwidth limit options he/she could enable.

Keep in mind that the more comfy you make the NEETs life the longer it will stay. QoS to 5% of your bandwidth is probably the best option.
>>
>>57620288
Sometimes you need to get into the "admin" page. Google your router name and many forums may have the site address (eg 192.168.1.254/XYZ) and the credentials for login for advanced settings.
>>
>>57620288
>I don't have a router, this is just the stock modem that the isp provided.

That's a modem/router combo, not just a modem.

You probably don't even understand how to get to the settings.
>>
>>57620471
No I can get to the admin page just fine, its just that there's nothing there really. Firewall settings and basic wifi shit. There's a mac filter, but that's about it.
>>
>>57620511
MAC filter, use it
>>
>>57620511
You have two options:

Ask him politely to limit the amount of bandwidth his bittorrent client uses to [about 75% of your max bandwidth].

or

Buy a decent router, limit his bandwidth through that.
>>
I think I have enough to go on. Thanks gents. You've been most helpful.
>>
>>57619954
>I've got a guest over
>isn't really an acquaintance
>more of a family member's acquaintance
>he's staying in the house for free

What the fuck is wrong with you, kick the motherfuck outta the house or charge rent
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.