[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >have a shitty PC from 2002 >Pi 3 is €32 >8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: 810px-Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png (87KB, 810x1024px) Image search: [Google]
810px-Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png
87KB, 810x1024px
>be me
>have a shitty PC from 2002
>Pi 3 is €32
>8 Operating Systems to choose from

Should I buy it, fa/g/s?
Does someone have experience with these?
>>
If you don't mind 1GB of RAM it should be okay.
>>
Considering your PC is 14 years old it might be a lot faster for tasks such as web browsing.

What specs exactly are we talking about?

I still don't think that rbpi makes a good replacement for a pc
>>
>>57618313
OP here,
I only need it for basic office functions (LibreOffice), browsing and watching videos.
My old PC has only 512 mb RAM and a more "recent" (around 2009) Processor.

>mfw it has no WiFi
>mfw it's slow as fuck and also loud
>>
>>57618250
Better to spend say 300 on a used i5/new i3 system.

>>57618282
The ram isnt the biggest limit, the cpu+gpu and the software is.

>>57618407
Browsing text pages is ok, but just youtube is super slow, and fullscreen buggy. This is on my rpi3.
>>
>>57618250
>8 operating systems to choose from
More like 8 billion
>>
>>57618415
You can just play the vids in mpv so it doesn't really matter
>>
>>57618250
You'll have to use Gnash on Mozilla for Flash playback and it doesn't work for every site. SD MPEG4 playback (non 10-bit) should play fine in software on VLC or SMPlayer. If you want to view 720p or 1080p you will need to use omxplayer as it is currently the only hardware accelerated video player and it's non window mode and closed source. If you're already running Linux, there shouldn't be any other surprises.
>>
>>57618407
>I only need it for basic office functions (LibreOffice), browsing and watching videos.
It should do just fine.

Try the dedicated rbpi debian distro first.

If you're comfortable with linux and have plenty of time you could always try compiling a customized gentoo installation to squeeze out every little bit from your limited resources/
>>
>>57618434
I could try but most Linux Distros need at least 512 mb of RAM, except for the 8 optimized ones listed on the Raspberry website and a few low-end distros like Puppy or DSL
>>
>>57618407
You'd do better to spend about €20 more and buy an old laptop, or some more RAM.

Not to say that Pis are bad, but they're at their best in a text environment.

For comparison I use a laptop with a 2007 processor (dual core 1.8ghz) and 2GB of RAM and that's fine.

Tell us your budget OP and we'll point you in better directions.
>>
>>57618476
Planning to use Raspbian. I want to buy an RPi because I need a reliable alternative to my Wangblows 10 Laptop and want to try Linux.
>>
>>57618554
I'm poor as fuck, so like €50 max, that's why I want to buy the RPi in the first place.
>>
I've used a pi for several things.

You're going to be disappointed with anything BUT the basic office functions. Most websites will load slow. They're not terrible, but if you're buying one, I suggest read up on over clocking and brace for that.

Also, wifi is a fucking chore on these things. or so it was for me. I recommend a line to it so you can avoid the hassle.

The default debian distribution isn't anything flashy, but it'll get the job done for what you're aiming for.

For $35 bucks you're not really losing anything, but I highly recommend reading up on them for dedicated computing BEFORE throwing your cash at it.

That said, they make decent emulator systems.
>>
If you are comfortable doing it, I've found that a fluxbox setup with opera is tolerable for most internet applications.
Get the fastest SD card you can. That is the real killer.
>>
File: 20161121_200456.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161121_200456.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
OP here,
My old Dinosaur.
GPU only has 128 mb
>>
As someone who tried to run a Pi as a desktop for a week let me be the first to say DON'T.

To quantify it, let me start from the begining. The Pi has next to no power so storage that is above the level of a pen drive or the SD card is out, and you'll burn through these in no time with all the writing that modern software does, so you'll need an external HDD with an external power supply (not USB powered). If you don't have one already you'll have to buy one. Copying the / directory across (the /boot directory MUST be on the card) is easy, as is changing fstab, but we're already getting in to a lot of work (and cost, if that's the case) for a "cheap" option.

Plus, even though it looks like a 1GHz quad core, the real-world speed is more like 400-500MHz. So you wont be doing anything fast. And the ethernet is on the same bus as the USB, which you'll have a mouse and keyboard in as well as your hard drive.

And that 1GB of RAM is shared with video, so have fun having about the same amount of RAM you have now, but much slower.

I could go on and on, mentioning things like the lacking repos, and how surprisingly simple things that aren't ported don't compile (which takes a million years), etc.

It was fun to have going while I had a laptop to use for normal things, but I'd never do it by choice.
>>
>>57618747
What's your RAM socket? Because that processor and VRAM should be plenty, so I'd just buy some more memory. You'll probably have change from your £60 as well if you shop smart.
>>
>>57618786
Plus install a Linux distro on it rather than XP. Either Xubuntu or Linux Mint MATE.
>>
>>57618747
CPU power wise that's a bit faster than a rpi3
>>
>>57618786
Ddr2 ram should be easy to find for free.
With that upgraded this will be more powerful than the rpi in every way other than power consumption
>>
>>57618866
The power bill isn't OP's worry, since he wouldn't save enough from buying the Pi to warrant its purchase.
>>
>>57618250
Make sure you get the official power supply and cable or one recommended on a wiki

>grab a random cable and a phone charger that's up to spec
>wifi won't work sometimes
>driver issue? no
>no display, can't check for power issues, have no HDMI displays or HDMI cables anyways
>works in one outlet, not another
>ends up being the power supply or cable, official crap works in all outlets
>>
Can you really not scrape together enough for a better system?
>>
>>57618915
Not much help to the German OP, but I've found some crazy shit on Gumtree for cheap.

Probably stolen but pay cash and don't ask questions and you'll be fine.
>>
>>57618786
I don't know my RAM socket.
>>
>>57619117
1. Turn computer off.
2. Take RAM out
3. Buy as much of that as you can afford.
>>
>>57619193
>buy 4GB of that

Fixed. OP likely only has a 32bit processor.
>>
>>57618250
Just get a used laptop or something. If your PC is from 2002 you clearly are not a person who could use anything but Windows.
>>
>>57618581
Shit if you were an American, I'd mail you a used laptop
>>
You can buy a used motherboard and psu from 2010-2011 laptop for 50 euro.
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57618747
get a real PC you hartz 4 tard
>>
>>57618434
all based on rewritten unix code

1 operating system to bind them all

sauron knows your system, sauron has a backdoor.
>>
>>57618250
thinkpad x60 = 50 bucks

thinkpad x220 = 120 bucks

both are better than a pi 3

you could also get a banana pi for 16 dorras
>>
A Pi can technically can be used for common desktop functions like Web browsing and text editing, but it's honestly not going to be as fast or functional as a conventional desktop made within the last two decades. Your current machine would likely outperform a Pi in every regard.

It's more of a hobbyist thing. They're nice devices for streaming media to your TV, seedboxing, or emulating retro video games. You could try using one as a desktop replacement, but the only tangible advantage over your desktop would be decreased power consumption and physical size.

Also bear in mind that you'll have to accessorize the thing to prepare it for said tasks. You can either rig an external HDD to it or attach an SD card. Do you need to read or write CDs or DVDs? Then you'll also have to attach an external optical drive.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.