[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, we can confirm now that "smart"watches are DOA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

So, we can confirm now that "smart"watches are DOA and were just a retarded fad like curved/3d screens?
>>
>>57605020
And who gives a fuck about you? we are talking about the market as a whole.
>>
>>57605036
He's part of that market faggot just like me. Shit's pretty useful for reading texts and changing music while cycling.
>>
File: CRWhuM2UwAI0len.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CRWhuM2UwAI0len.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
I never understood the point.
With a watch, it serves as a fashion accessory that doubles as a timepiece.
A smartwatch connects to your phone and shows you notifications from your phone and you still have to take the phone out of your pocket to respond to them, so what's the point?

They don't even look good, every smartwatch looks like a kids toy.
Here's a kids toy watch for comparison.
>>
>>57605055
>>57605074
Your reading comprehension needs some work.
>>
>>57604998
Well they're not DOA, they're actually selling. But as you said, they're a fad, aka "something that works for a time and then doesn't".

Now they'll eventually break through, but only the day they become fully usable devices, not just secondary, superfluous, slaved peripherals. The day we have wristphones, now that'll be a different story.

But right now most of the industry isn't ready to give up on phones and go full watch. I'm thinking this may come from unexpected actors in the field: Casio, Suunto, Timex, and other watch manufacturers that are slowly making their watches smarter, all the while making them function as a regular watch, and that have a much greater experience about those things that other don't, and actually manage to make them usable and practical and not just a gimmick, starting with their HUGE focus on battery life, contrary to everyone else.
>>
>>57605084
>they're actually selling
How come no one, NO ONE, is boasting sales numbers? not even Apple.
>>
>>57605055
Fuck you norm
>>
Smartwatch is absolutely useful tool if you receive a massive amount of incoming text information. For IT, that is server reports and e-mails. If you don't get any of that, it is indeed a waste and only a stupid toy. There's also no point in any modern smartwatch when the $60 ones from years ago can do the text based information fine.
>>
>>57605080
The point is owning something expensive so you can show you are better than someone else that can't afford it.
>>
>>57604998
Confirmed. They went the way of pet rocks, singing without auto tune and the horse-and-buggy.
>>
>>57605093
They're not complete failures is what I mean, but then they quickly end up in a drawer never to be touched again.

I'm actually seeing more and more iwatches around me. Which is scary, everytime it hurts to see someone fell for it and wasted a small fortune on a turd that'll be obsolete a year later. But really, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually sold well, not as well as iphones, but quite a lot still.
>>
>>57605109
Yes?
A watch serves that purpose quite well.
It also lasts a long time and looks good because it's literally male jewelry.

What does a smartwatch offer?
An apple watch will never be considered a status symbol like a rolex even though they cost the same.
>>
>>57605149
>But I've got preset replies on my pebble so I don't need to take my phone out?
>Besides, pulling a phone out is less convenient than glancing at your wrist if you're someone who gets a lot of notifications.

You're not that important.
>>
>>57605131
>an apple watch costs the same as a rolex

I think this confirms that you don't know that the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>57605197
You're right, it costs even MORE than a fucking rolex and still doesn't look like a fashion accessory unless your boyfriend's name is Chris and you suck dicks on the regular.
>>
File: 20160126_LAUGHINGimage-696x413.jpg (29KB, 696x413px) Image search: [Google]
20160126_LAUGHINGimage-696x413.jpg
29KB, 696x413px
>>57605235
>>
>>57605235
>t. Thai "person" who thinks his fake Rolex is the real deal
>>
>>57604998
they are only just taking off, as they've just gotten their first purposely designed SoCs, but they need to be around $150 or have a 5 year life cycle, as no one would be willing to upgrade their watch with their phones.
>>
>>57605093
apple never announces sales figures, they only announce units shipped, which everyone ends up taking as units sold.
>>
>>57605197
it's true though
>>
File: 27400940806_aa5d32365b_o.jpg (30KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
27400940806_aa5d32365b_o.jpg
30KB, 960x960px
This is as useful and expensive a smartwatch can get before it becomes useless and retarded, and even then it's mostly an activity tracker.
>>
>>57605625
i bought one of these. waiting for it to ship. for $30CDN its not a bad deal, looks cool 2
>>
File: sku_71488_1.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sku_71488_1.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
>>57605084
>Now they'll eventually break through, but only the day they become fully usable devices, not just secondary, superfluous, slaved peripherals. The day we have wristphones, now that'll be a different story.
But we've already had wristphones for many years, probably longer than the modern smartphones, just nobody bought them
>>
I'd quite like a Pebble Steel 2 for the novelty. But aside from that i'm not too interested.
>>
>>57605055
I'll also chime in here. Got a moto 360 for a birthday present and I've warn it every single day since April. The fucking thing runs better than my Nexus 6.

I wouldn't have bought it myself, maybe a pebble but the $400 price tag is insane.

Despite that, this is a fantastic device. I use it countless times every day and notice immediately when I'm not wearing it even for a short while.
>>
>>57606048
By that, I meant the same features as smartphones today, not a watch-sized Nokia 3310.

And battery life is a feature.
>>
>>57606096
worn* sorry been speaking not English continously for the last 3 months
>>
>>57605561
bling for poorfags
>>
File: 81B+B6KSA9L._SX522_.jpg (25KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
81B+B6KSA9L._SX522_.jpg
25KB, 522x522px
>>57606098
the watchphones were mostly produced several years ago, before smartphones were a thing and in the days of early android and first iphones. SO most "normal" phones used by the general population didn't have those feature either. There's nothing stopping manufactures today from making standalone watchphones with android - other than they don't think there's enough market for them. Pic related, a shitty underpowered chinese watchphone with android.
>>
>>57606204
At the time, not even smartphones were popular, social networks were in their infancy, and that was a time when many people didn't even want a mobile phone.

Things have changed big time.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.