[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 47

File: 1472819610890.jpg (57KB, 700x428px) Image search: [Google]
1472819610890.jpg
57KB, 700x428px
Stupid Questions Thread
>>
is it better to turn a secondary hdd off after 5 mins inactive or leave it running 24/7
>>
Why do I need a different user agent to use netflix on linux? I have all the right plugins and everything, how does pretending to be a mac make any difference?
>>
>>57596443
it depends on what you're optimizing for. keeping the platters spinning is theoretically better for longevity (the drive will probably fail while it's spinning up or spinning down, so try to avoid those actions), but there's a (probably negligible) energy cost to keeping them spinning. it depends on if you're paying for electricity or generating it from some tightly rationed source.
>>
>>57596454
chrome-stable, not chromium but the actual closed stable release, can access netflix w/o any workarounds.

i also learned recently that they made a nice lite deb for it too. 64 only tho
>>
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Cd9tJ

So I'm getting these over the span of 5-6 weeks. Should I get the GPU last?
>>
I saw an article about power generation from waves

but wouldn't resisting waves affect the moon's orbit around earth?
>>
Why is https://mega.nz/ so popular?
>>
>>57596593
I know I've already cucked myself by enabling DRM, but I'd still rather boycott chrome. I got it to work in firefox, which is good enough for me
>>
>>57596660
consider the pc building general (/pcbg/??) if you dont get an answer
>>
>1 year exp unrelated to IT
if ever i get a windows server 2012 certificate will emploeyers still hire me if im 25-26 years old?
>>
>>57596660
>Should I get the GPU last?

Depends if it's on any sort of sale really. If not buy it last.
>>
File: tag.png (110KB, 480x914px) Image search: [Google]
tag.png
110KB, 480x914px
(Windows 7)

>used ImageMagick to add an extra line of metadata to .png image
pic related: uploaded image to http://regex.info/exif.cgi , and the added line is visible.

How can I search a folder of images to check which files have the same line of metadata in them?

"Everything" did not list the file when the added string was queried.
I think my best bet might be to write a python script for Launchy (but I do not know exactly how), or search for existing software.
>>
So now that firefox is doo-doo, what's the best browser?
>>
>>57596906
forks of firefox
>>
>>57596694
50gb free
>>
How do I post on 4chan?
>>
>>57596941
What's the best fork of firefox though?

For me, it's got to be the McChicken.
>>
>>57596977
Is that it? Thanks.
>>
>>57596995
Install Gentoo
>>
Guys is there any relevant reason to prefer a mac over a windows (design apart)?
>>
>>57597027
mass file sharing
easy to hide links from bots
huge free storage size and large daily u/d limit
>>
>>57597050
personal preference and pretentiousness
>>
>>57597068
I mean is it true that "is better for editing" and why yes/no?
>>
>>57597098
no, same programs
do expensive shoes make you run faster? same plastic frame and cheap materials
t mac user
>>
File: Untitled.png (257KB, 1345x205px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
257KB, 1345x205px
I run Windows 10 and there are some icons in my notification are that started appearing blank maybe a week ago - they're missing pictures like in pic related. How do I fix them so they show properly?
>>
Do you think the world would be a better place if we all decided to throw away all of our technology and go back to living off the land like we are supposed to do?
>>
>>57597369
as someone living in the city, what land would I get to work it?
or do I have to share a plot with the 1 million other people?
>>
>>57597383
Obviously we tear down the cities, let the land return to its natural state.
>>
Is it dangerous to pull my own tooth? I have a bad toothache and can't really afford dental care right now. Thinking of just getting as drunk as I can and then yanking the fucker out with pliers. Anything else I should watch out for? Should I take some antibiotics after to avoid infection or is that not much of an issue here?
>>
video is flickering on mpchc, it blinks to black for a split second every minute or two
I've been using mpchc for over a year now, and this is the first time I've had this issue, so it's most likely a compatibility issue with this particular mkv file.
the blinks keep happening during the exact same frames though, so is there a fix for this or is the flaw within the mkv file itself
>>
>>57597578
Install Gentoo
>>
are there any kernel configuration guides or should i just toy with my config until im satisfied
>>
I have two spare routerrs, what can i do with them besides range extenders?
>>
>>57597696
*modem routers btw
>>
Can I do a chargeback on purchases I made in person using my credit card? I bought some shit that turned out to be bootleg and want my money back but when I called the credit card company they said they can't do anything about it because I entered and verified my pin during purchase.
>>
>>57597844
Obviously you should clear that up with the seller.
>>
>>57597844
through what site? TECHNOLOGY
>>
My GPU broke and I'm planning to buy a new one, if I switch from nVidia to AMD what do I need to do before I install the new card
>>
what's the difference between raid and sata ?
>>
>>57597902
just watch a video on how to remove something from a PCI slot
or ask a friend to show you in person
pci cards "just fit" in the slot, nothing special about it
also id recommend not getting anything lower than a RX 470
>>
File: 230658301516.png (85KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
230658301516.png
85KB, 1920x1080px
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

I desperately need to access a website, for... um... research! Yes.

Keep getting error 521, but other anons can access it easily
>>
>>57597934
No, I know that, I mean with stuff like drivers
>>
File: format disk.jpg (21KB, 364x174px) Image search: [Google]
format disk.jpg
21KB, 364x174px
I've lost way too much data because of this damn error message, is there a simple fix for it or are there multiple causes of this same problem? If so how do I toubleshoot?
>>
Is there any possible way you can disable cursor movement with a magic trackpad?

Let me explain: I have an old ass magic trackpad I'm using right now with hackintosh. While it's pretty good for certain gestures, I already have a perfectly good mouse that makes some things more comfortable to use.

So I decided to use both, one of them with each hand. Problem: I can't -only- use the trackpad for gestures. Meaning sometimes I accidentally move the goddamn mouse cursor. I have checked in bettertouchtool and the only thing you can do with that is to lower the sensitivity to really low values, but not 0.

Is there any program that does this shit?
>>
I'm idle @ 4.5gb

Looking at my processes there's barely anything there, nothing out of the norm. I recently upgraded my memory to DDR4 and it's like twice as high.

Is this normal
>>
My boot screen lasts around 10 seconds before it starts loading windows. How do i shorten that time?
>>
>>57597944
that shouldnt be an issue
i remember switching from an old AMD card to nvidia and i just installed the nvidia drivers, no problems
>>
>>57597968
going to try and recover files with test disk and reformat to see if that helps, any input is appreciated
>>
Does anyone here know what a .kk file is?
And possibly how to read it
>>
>>57597968
it's not an error message.
what file system is the drive formatted with?
give more information what that drive is for and what you are trying to do.

format it to a windows known file system or remove it's drive letter if it's a not supported file system and you want to keep it like that.
>>
>>57598021
ok cool thx
>>
I have some games and some other stuff on a hard drive that's getting full (not my main drive). Can I just take everything on there and transfer it to a new hard drive, change the letter to be the same and expect everything to work properly?
>>
File: Xen_Server_Logo_original.png (9KB, 399x190px) Image search: [Google]
Xen_Server_Logo_original.png
9KB, 399x190px
What's the difference between XenServer ( http://xenserver.org/ ) and Citrix XenServer?
>>
>>57597968
Have you checked what Crystal Disk Info has to say about it ?

>>57597977
Depends on your OS, but I assume you have 16 GB of RAM. In which case this is perfectly normal if you're using Windows.
>>
>>57597977
what OS?
Unused RAM is useless, so most OSes cache programs/files you use a lot when it isn't used by anything actively running.
>>
>>57598012
msconfig > boot options > no GUI boot
check bios for "fast boot" options
install an SSD
>>
>>57598034
yes
>>
>>57596443
If your secondary HDD sleeps and you need to access it again, it will freeze the system.
>>
>>57598047
I was thinking of BIOS boot. I changed boot order to go from UEFI boot hard drive to just hard drive and it didnt want to boot. Should i place it 2nd in the order?
>>
What's a good laptop for shit like virtualization?
>>
>>57598031
This particular occasion its not my drive, its formatted as RAW and this message appears when simply trying to open the drive to view the files. I have been told that this time round they didn't try anything different with the drive just plugged it in and it gave this message.

Similar things have happened to me.
>>
>>57598098
its important, i think win8 and above NEED UEFI
check other options, most modern bios do have a "fast boot" option that lets you skip some bios procedures.
if you touch other stuff in the bios at least google what they do before changing options
>>
Weird problem, I'm hoping you guys can help with.

I want to order parts for a computer from the US and use a freight forwarder I have access to. Catch is I can only make a single order (I have a voucher for a free order under $200US shipping cost); as in, a single box. I get boned if I have to pay for shipping, which eats up the savings compared to buying domestically.

>Which vendor (Newegg, Amazon, et al) is cheapest on average?
>Do all vendors place multiple orders into one box?
>>
>>57598231
Some vendors have option to ship all at once (which takes a bit longer) and comes in 1 box
>>
>>57598231
there's no guarantee you only get one box.
if two items are in different warehouses, you'll get two packages.
>>
>>57598261
is it something I can ask them to do if I contact them?

>>57598262
that makes sense. cheers.

my plan is to buy GPU, CPU, RAM, motherboard and SSDs (the shit that gets Australia Tax on it the most and is mostly lightweight) and then buy the PSU and case locally.
>>
File: 1453038704984.gif (2MB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453038704984.gif
2MB, 400x600px
What's the process for installing a new GPU?
Do I just yank out the old one, plug in the new one and then update drivers?
>>
File: WHY.png (35KB, 662x729px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.png
35KB, 662x729px
>>57596127
ordered 4gb of ram, bios and windows recognise only 2gb but speccy and cpu-z see 4gb. I've reinstalled windows, changed to 64bit, and reflashed bios. what am i doing wrong.
>>
>>57598219
Hm, no fast boot option but now it has black screen after bios and before windows boot. How the hell do i get rid of it? I just worsened the situation.
>>
>>57598288
chyea pretty much

I'd suggest swapping your monitor to use whatever ports are on the motherboard while doing so
>>
>>57598288
yes.
if you change brands (amd, nvidia) use display driver uninstaller before you install the new driver.
>>
>>57598290
post speccy summary
>>
>>57598290
See if Linux recognizes it. No idea what's causing that, just a suggestion.
>>
>>57598288
Depends on the OS. On Linux the easiest procedure was to install the drivers before switching out the GPU. On Windows, you can usually use your new GPU with limited fuctionality (600x800 resolution), so you can install drivers after switching the GPU.
>>
how do i see how much internet my computer got on it
>>
>>57598301
Wow, after i turned off pc and started it again it had super fast boot. Literally 1 second windows boot because i changed options in bios to work on integrated graphics (i dont have dgpu) but then when restarted it took long time again. Not sure whats going on.
>>
>>57598369
settings -> network and internet -> data usage
>>
>>57598384
Yep, confirmed. When i start it, it boots in a second.
>>
>Posting from your ISP, IP range, or country has been blocked due to abuse.

My country was blocked from posting here 3 years ago. Just discovered yesterday that I can now post again here. Can anyone tell me what happened?
>>
>>57598027
Also, what's an obb?
>>
>>57598447
Btw sorry for my poor engles. Im from a spanish country
>>
File: 14392376739260.jpg (65KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
14392376739260.jpg
65KB, 960x960px
I have a pretty old laptop, but I want to watch 1080p without sluttering.
So what player should I use?
As of now I am using CCCP with MPC yet playback is slow.
>>
I installed gentoo, but my dhcpcd is
1) not writing a nameserver to resolv.conf
2) not fetching correct IP and broadcast
and I have no idea how to fix it
help /g/
>>
File: IMG_20161115_230553.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161115_230553.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Whats faster, 1 or 2 ram bars? (adding up to same capacity)
Same for ssd:
1 ssd with os and applications on or a second ssd just for applications?
This always bothers me.
(Heres a pic of a pizza I made 3 days ago)
>>
On Windows, how would I go about backing up a certain folder that cannot be moved to cloud for online backup redundancy?
>>
File: exakyo.png (38KB, 695x519px) Image search: [Google]
exakyo.png
38KB, 695x519px
>>57598322
>>
>>57598635
two for dual channel.
SSD doesn't matter where something is on.
>>
>>57598637
Why can't the folder be cloud mirrored? If it's a system folder, mirroring is is not the brightest idea. Work with system images if you want to backup your installed os.
>>
File: 1478328496900.jpg (52KB, 540x536px) Image search: [Google]
1478328496900.jpg
52KB, 540x536px
Is it possible to bypass the "5 active threads at a time" limit without using proxies?
>>
>>57598662
ty
>>
LSX or Docker?
>>
I can get two brand new powercolor radeon hd 6870 x2 cards for free. (dual gpu cards)
Is it worth building a system around them? Would it be enough for the new doom in FullHD?
It would be a 4 gpu crossfire setup with insane power consumption. Thought about a 2011 sandy bridge cpu.
>>
>>57598273
You can ask them if they do that or not, explain the situation and they can help you if its possible. Use live chat or phone call.
>>
>>57598742
DOOM doesn't support crossfire/sli.

I'd generally avoid dual gpu setups, the support is mostly lacking or not present at all.
>>
>>57598742
probably be better to just build like a $300 dollar build than do all that stuff honestly, most games don't take advantage of a dual gpu setup let alone 4.
>>
File: quit_NEET.jpg (63KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
quit_NEET.jpg
63KB, 853x480px
As a useless NEET learning programming how do I convince someone to give me a job with no experience or references? How gud do I need to git, and how do I prove I've done it?

I've done some online courses and found them easy, but I assume that's not worth anything.
>>
Can you cut a segment from an mp3 without reencoding it?
>>
>>57598766
>>57598780
ok, didn't know multi gpu is memetier like that
Just got my boss to buy a 5k$ gaming rig with two pascal titan x's for vr though. Actually he wants to buy two of those rigs.
>>
>>57598665
okay here's another stupid question, how would I go about mirroring a folder?

and no it's not a system file
>>
>>57598874
I use
robocopy /mir

for all my mirror backups.
(winfag)
>>
File: 92fvoecaxpsx.png (558KB, 713x638px) Image search: [Google]
92fvoecaxpsx.png
558KB, 713x638px
I did something foolish recently. I was on Control Panel looking for programs i don't use anymore to uninstall, and saw multiple "Microsoft Visual C++ (insert year here)". At that time not knowing that every one of those packages had their importance i started uninstalling the "old" ones. I may have deleted 3 or 4 iirc. Now fast forward to today i wanted to edit a video with Adobe Premiere, but when i opened Premiere it gave me an error saying "Adobe Premiere Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again.". Now i tried updating the graphics drivers, i even uninstalled the driver and installed it again, it didn't work.

tl;dr How do i find which Microsoft Visual C ++ packages i'm missing and install them?
>>
>>57598907
reinstall premiere, it will look for missing packages and install them.
>>
What does Amazon actually pay for physical videogame disks? Like say it's a game that retails for $60, how much do they pay the developer for each copy? Obviously they cost hardly anything to manufacture, but curious what the wholesale prices are like. Markup must be pretty big if they can afford to give that 20% discount for every game right after release.
>>
>>57598923
Didn't think of that lol. Thanks dude i'll try right now.
>>
File: help.png (122KB, 1904x536px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
122KB, 1904x536px
I'm using chrome and recently 4chan stopped loading properly for me, can't see replies to a post and boards with ID's aren't coloured etc, yes I am retarded can anyone help me or tell me either why this is happening or how to fix it?
>>
>>57598973
did you disable javascript/4chanx/native extension?
>>
>>57596127
Where can I find an FPGA board with gigabit transceivers for under $100?
>>
>>57598981
>>57598981

I don't use any extensions and it's just regular chrome, should I just try reinstalling java? If I have turned it off somehow I have no idea how I've done it.
>>
>>57598789
Get some certifications
>>
>>57598981

Nevermind, I fucking disabled the native extension like a dumb cunt, thanks for getting me to check you've saved a moron some time.
>>
>>57598998
don't confuse java and javascript, they are not the same.
>>
>>57599017

Yeah I know next to nothing about coding of any kind, probably time I start to pick up some entry level reading material
>>
>>57598988
Alternatively can I use multiple IO pins of a low end fpga and get an external IC or something to drive one gigabit signal?
>>
>>57599002
Anything in particular? Preferably something faster than a degree. I guess anywhere credible is going to be expensive.
>>
Can't disable pocket and update helper here, any ideas? ff dev 51.0a2
>>
>>57599060
Depends on what you do,just take your pick:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/microsoft-certified-professional.aspx
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=39
https://aws.amazon.com/certification/certified-solutions-architect-associate/

And a few others more. Just look for associate levels for now. Some certifications are just bullshit "What is a computer stuff", just don't bother with those especially with no-named companies that provide those.
>>
I cant seem to print stream output in gdb,whenever i try to print stringstream or stringstream.str() it says incomplete type or that str method not defined.

i even tried install libstdc++-dbg no luck
>>
>>57599060
>>57599166
Also, just pirate the review books and go straight to the test right away. Any lecture isn't worth paying for more
>>
Why do old people hate standby? Every single old person I know can't abide a standby function. Both my grandfather and my father himself would NEVER press the off button on their TVs remote. they would ALWAYS get up and push the power button because else "the light would still glow"
>>
is it possible to ping a host name like it were an IP?
something-number.ispname.com

in this format.
>>
>>57599166
I was under the impression that things like Microsoft certification were specific to their technology and more IT oriented. Are they still useful if I want a programming job?

>>57599212
Finding places to learn from doesn't seem to be a problem, just proving you've learned it.
>>
>>57599456
yes
>>
>>57599456
yes, it's it possible to ping it unless it's set to not reply to pings.
>>
>>57599479
but when I try it doesn't work, only the ip.
>>
>>57599489
that might be the case, I can ping the ip but it still gives 100% packet loss.
>>
>>57596127
Why is it so hard for you stupid fucking niggers to copy a post?
>>
>>57596127
What's the best bang/buck GPU?
>>
How can I make it so that 4chan stops loading images from is.4chan.org?
>>
>>57599465
Based from experience it does get noticed in your resume. But any real experienced IT company will still prefer experience more, don't expect any entitlement. They're not really job requirements.
The also look nice on your linkedin profile, the legit ones have their own section with badges and shit that look like achievements
>>
Is Newegg still a good place to order parts off of? It's either going to be Amazon or Newegg.
Total is $878 on Amazon due to $60 sales tax
Total is $832 on Newegg

Mostly wondering which corporation has better support for fucked up orders or anything. I don't have much experience with support claims.
>>
>>57599490
Maybe you got wrong hostname?
>>
>>57599576
Okay, thanks sempai.

>linkedin profile
Sounds scarily like social networking.
>>
>>57599622
>Sounds scarily like social networking.

That's because it is. You know what else is like social networking? Going to work and talking to people
>>
File: 1475376626029.png (78KB, 282x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475376626029.png
78KB, 282x300px
nVidia driver 375.95, is it safe to install?
>>
Should I get a 1050 Ti or a RX 470?
>>
File: 1474907104775.png (352KB, 1306x544px) Image search: [Google]
1474907104775.png
352KB, 1306x544px
How to disable this? God it's so annoying when it pops up when I'm in the catalog.
>>
a website is asking me to give them my phone number and download an app (which will leech a couple dollars a day) in order to complete my registration
any way i can get around this?
>>
>>57599736
is that some third party script? because it doesn't happen in vanilla 4chang
>>
>>57599805

Yeah it's 4chan x. It's a new update probably since it happened only today. I dunno how to disable this though.
>>
>>57599800
chances are whatever the site is it's probably a scan anyway. so even if you do get "around it", you'd be doing it for nothing.
>>
>>57599820
read the release notes, see what it's called, and figure out from there how to turn it off
>>
>>57596127
What´s the best website for me to buy bitcoins on?
>>
File: 1454072801714.jpg (74KB, 422x509px) Image search: [Google]
1454072801714.jpg
74KB, 422x509px
>>57599834

Welp turns out I all I have to do was just uncheck something in the settings. Thanks anyways
>>
How do i get rid of shiny keys on my laptop keyboard and how do I prevent it? I heard that it's oil from your fingers?
>>
>>57597844
Running a transaction as debit means you lose the buyer privileges like being able to charge back and credit card insurance addons. Which is why everyone tries to get you to do pin, plus pin is cheaper for the merchant as opposed to credit card transaction fees.

Always run as cc if you can to keep protections
>>
>>57599896
if you can't wipe it off it's wear and you'll need to replace the keys
>>
>>57599878
who would have thought that in order to change the way something works you'd have to go to the settings. craaazy!
>>
File: oo04-09_1247tt.0.png (849KB, 1020x677px) Image search: [Google]
oo04-09_1247tt.0.png
849KB, 1020x677px
I want a fast laptop for music production and maybe some video editing, I was thinking of getting the 2015 MBP now on black Friday since Logic Pro X is really good and cheap software. Is it a good idea?
>>
>>57596127
My professor has a bunch of audiotapes of psychotherapy sessions that need to be transcribed. He mentioned Dragon. How good is it, and what alternatives if any do you recommend?
>>
>>57599967
sure
>>
File: reverse-1270751973_trololo-guy.gif (2MB, 263x196px) Image search: [Google]
reverse-1270751973_trololo-guy.gif
2MB, 263x196px
>>57596127
When did Windows 7 updates start getting shady/shitty? I.e., Windows 10 upgrade popups, telemetry, etc. I'm going to reformat my Windows 7 drive, and I only want to update up to the point before the shittiness. This drive is 100% for gayming, so I'm not worried about security.
>>
>>57600034
install without any updates. it's the safest way.
>>
File: 1429705239542.jpg (54KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1429705239542.jpg
54KB, 600x480px
I've noticed that when my roommate visits a certain image posting website, my bandwidth is massively impacted. This cause a lot of lag when I'm trying to play my ASSFAGGOTS vidya.

What can I do to confirm this is true and how can I limit the amount of bandwidth that the router lets that computer use?
>>
>>57600062
Would I be missing out on anything important (besides security updates) by doing that? I'm going to restore from a Win7 image from late 2011 (when I first built my PC), anything useful in Windows updates between 2011 and early 2015? Performance improvements?
>>
>>57600064
>To limit
QoS settings on your router admin page.
>>
>>57597332
nuke the icon cache and reboot.
>>
Hi. My sound is occasionaly stutters on linux, in browser and audio/video player. How to fix it?
>>
>>57600234
If I had to guess, sound card
power saving. Try turning it off.
>>
>>57597578
Yes, take antibiotics, before doing the extraction.
>>
Best book/videos for learning C/C++.
Best book/videos for learning Java.
Best book/videos for learning C#.
>>
If feds think I am torrenting movies/games/etc., can that go to my ISP and get a list with stuff like

>http://torrentsite.com/newGame.html

that shows I was at the page?
>>
>>57600313
>If feds think I am torrenting movies/games/etc
The Feds don't give a shit about what you're torrenting, as long as it isn't blatantly illegal content (you know what I mean).

Lawyers employed by the creators of those movies/games, on the other hand......
>>
>>57600313
If you're in a cucked country, don't respond
to any letters from your ISP concerning
piracy. Use a VPN next time.
>>
>>57600255
Googled solutions after your hint and didn't help. Tired of this shit, suddenly started after kernel update.
>>
>>57600367
What kind of audio do you have?
>>
>>57599570
anyone?
>>
>>57600367
Then maybe the kernel is at fault.
Have you tried checking your distro's
bug tracker? For a quick fix, downgrade.
>>
What's the best program for combining video files with sub (.srt) files? There's a shitload of them out there but I wanted to know which one in the pile actually works.
>>
>>57600418
ffmpeg
>>
>>57600386
Some ancient realtek 298 or something like that.
>>57600410
It happened before, then i fixed it somehow with avialable solutions from google, now it's happening again and those solutions don't work anymore. Reintalled alsa and pulse, didn't help.
>>
File: 1478851526876.png (74KB, 307x299px) Image search: [Google]
1478851526876.png
74KB, 307x299px
>>57600034
>>57600062
>>57600119
Anyone have any more thoughts on this?
>>
>>57599354
I guess it's remnants from back when TVs would still fuck your electrical bill sideways even when on standby. Hell, even I do it sometimes out of habit.
>>
>>57600420
k thanks m8
>>
>>57600034
>Pic

SKOLOLOLOLOLO
LOLOLO
LOLOLO
HUHUHUHUHUUUH
>>
File: 1472578125849.gif (1MB, 446x252px) Image search: [Google]
1472578125849.gif
1MB, 446x252px
>>57600189
huh, that might help.
>>
>>57600476
You can try 'delaying' it by not installing
specific updates. But sooner or later you'll
have to upgrade when it reaches eol.
>>
>>57600504
Standby got to be using some power still. I turn my TV off before going to bed. If I am going to stand up and walk past the TV I may as press the power button on the way and turn the sucker off,
>>
Is it normal for best buy's website to not let you purchase refurbished items unless you live near a store for pick-up?
>>
If I write an e-mail in helvetica, which is proprietary Apple font, what does it show up as to the receiver who may or may not have the font installed?
>>
>>57600504
Yeah but these day what does it cost you to have your electronics on standby? 5bucks a year?

Of course now with the Internet of Shit it's kind of different. Where put shit on standby and it just keeps running in the background. Connected a Wii (the original thing) recently and found out that when you have a setting enabled called "WiiConnect24" the wii keeps being connected to the internet constantly in the hopes that it may receive some updates or messages. Discovered this because I wanted to put my wii somewhere else and the fucking thing was hot despite not having been used for 3 days. the best thing? They turned that fucking service off 3 years ago but of course didn't remove the feature.
>>
>>57600604
if your email program uses css and defines multiple alternative fonts then the first that the receiver has installed or fits best (as in a sans serif font).
otherwise the default email-client font.
>>
>>57600331
But the info is there, right? Whether they care or not avoids the question.
>>
>>57600632
Your ISP knows everything you do on the net son.
>>
>>57600650
Alright, thanks. I have heard of stuff like Comcast claiming "we don't monitor browsing history" so I was wondering how pirates get caught in the first place.
>>
What should I study if all that matters is my GPA?

I'm in a position where transferring from my 'okay' uni to the decent one across the street is a big deal.
Should I just do a bsc in bio for a semester?
>>
>>57600757
torrent is peer 2 peer, that means you connect to other people.
some of them are companies that write down all the ips that connect to them to sue the shit out of them.
>>
>>57597968
format fat32 not ntfs
>>
>>57600757
>"we don't monitor browsing history"
Actually they are required to record this data by law.
>>
When's Black Friday?
>>
>>57600877
Friday
>>
>>57600827
Source?
>>
>>57599529
Anybody?
>>
>>57600904
>>57599529
price range faggot
best is the one integrated on the cpu
as its free and provides excelent FPS/$ in that sense
>>
File: IMG_20161120_154730.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161120_154730.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
What is the exact type of the bulb on the right?
I bought the one on the left as a replacement but even through it is almost identical, the small plastic bit doesn't match and won't fit in.
>>
>>57596127
Formatted my HDD on accident when windows mistook my HDD as a flash drive for its installer program.

Long story short, best way to recover data from a formatted disk? I'd post a meme pic, but that was lost too :/
>>
>>57601048
I've used Recuva in the past (same faggots
who brought you CCleaner). It works provided
you didn't wrote anything on the cleared drive.
>>
Is it worth getting 8 core fx 8350 to upgrade from sandy bridge i3? Will there be a noticeable difference or should I wait for something better? I dont do any gaming just compile software and run vms mostly.
>>
>>57601048
Try a program called "Recuva". It's made by the same guys who make CCleaner, and I have used it successfully in the past to recover data I accidentally deleted on my computer/phone.
>>
Is it considered a medical emergency if one testicle has been destroyed by blunt trauma? The pain has mostly subsided and I don't see any sign of infection or anything, rather not pay for an emergency room visit if I don't have to.
>>
>>57601136
>I dont do any gaming just compile software and run vms mostly.

well you would definitly feel the difference of extra cores for VMs and compiling

but would wait for Zen, january launch, though maybe paper only
>>
File: IMG_20151231_095144.jpg (428KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151231_095144.jpg
428KB, 1944x2592px
>>57601162
>if one testicle has been destroyed by blunt trauma?
be more specific, what does destroyed mean?
>>
why the hell won't madvr install? I only get a black empty cmd window. I have gpu drivers installed, x86 mpc and I previously had it installed on this computer (fresh windows isntallation).
>>
>>57601187
Like it ripped apart, kind of hard to tell fully the extent without opening the scrotum but it definitely is not the same shape anymore.
>>
File: Servo.jpg (44KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
Servo.jpg
44KB, 180x180px
Could you post websites that are minimalistic but really neat and up to date?

For example, ss64.com comes to mind. Simple, effective, uses CSS3 and HTML5.
>>
>>57601204
It's your cue to ditch that shit and use mpv.
>>
>>57601205
well then I do recommend immediate visit to an emergency room.
you should be back before Westworld starts
>>
>>57601162
go to the er you nigger
>>
>>57601162
post picture of your dick, I am a doctor seriously
>>
>>57601228
On windows?
>>
>>57601136
No.

Wait for new Zen or get a current gen intel CPU.
>>
File: Untitled.png (859KB, 1915x666px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
859KB, 1915x666px
What the fuck?
How could anyone ever think this is a good idea?
>>
>>57601165
>>57601354
Thanks Im going to wait then. I just found this. Says the zen is twice as fast as 8350
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-performance-double-fx-8350/
>>
>>57601431
well, if we are lucky it will be
my hope is that its intel ivy bridge level at least, the performance of single core I mean

then you have 8 cores, and 16 threads
will be awesome
>>
Ubuntu Mate has two taskbars, is there I way to change it so there's only one taskbar?
>>
File: 123.png (88KB, 193x200px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
88KB, 193x200px
>Get brand new mobo and i7 cpu
>Open Speccy
>Both idle at ~30c
>Try to play a game
>Both jump over 70c
>Try to render something in Vegas
>Both jump to +90c
>Try to use ffmpeg
>Both jump to +90c
Is this shit supposed to be normal? Are the parts gonna be damaged? I got like 3 fans active and left the case open for better air flow. Still gotta apply thermal paste to my CPU though.
>>
>>57601510
That's normal if you have shit cooling. My
pre-built desktop is like that.
>>
>>57601453
yes right click and select delete this panel. Then add the window list and workspace switcher to the top panel
>>
>>57601552
Fucking hell.

I'm using an intel heatsink/fan for me processor and I don't really wanna buy more shit than I already have. How long does it last on average in this setup?
>>
I know nothing about video cards. Whats the best I can get for $100?
>>
File: seriousmang.jpg (53KB, 480x473px) Image search: [Google]
seriousmang.jpg
53KB, 480x473px
>>57601510
>Still gotta apply thermal paste to my CPU though.
>>
>>57601600
Quite long if you're a normie and don't do
anything intensive. My advice, just get a better
cooling solution.
>>
>>57601623
gtx 1050
not the gtx1050ti
>>
>>57601600
I bought a $25 heatsink/fan like 7 years ago that kept my overclocked by 1Ghz processor under 60C at all times. If you're willing to pay 2 or 300 hundred for a processor I don't see why you can't pony up a little more to protect the investment. I wouldn't sleep at night if my processor was getting up to 90C
>>
>>57599896
>How do i get rid of shiny keys on my laptop keyboard
pry them off
>and how do I prevent it?
don't use them
>I heard that it's oil from your fingers?
no, it's worn down, the texture wears down to a flat surface
older keyboards last longer because they use a harder type of plastic
>>
>>57599896
Its both wear and oils from you skin. Wipe the keyboard down with alcohol.
>>
Did nvidia stop forcing telemetry with their drivers yet or they continue to do it?
>>
>>57596889
can you even call imagemagick through cli in windows?

if so, a powershell script to recursively check all files for the attribute might work. unsure about the syntax though
>>
>>57601029
G24q1
>>
>>57601718
What is the difference between intel and aftermarket heatsinks? Different metals/specific heat?
>>
>>57601868
This is a pretty complicated question, but the short version is: Copper heat pipes and more efficient heat distribution.

But your problem (if you're >>57601510
) is your thermal paste. That shit's not placebo.
>>
What's the difference, from an end users perspective, between Linux and BSD?
>>
Where can I buy some water to put in my water cooler?
>>
>>57601901
>But your problem is your thermal paste. That shit's not placebo.
Oh so I'm just retarded. Thanks mate, eased me off a little bit.

I didn't know it was that important. Heard somewhere that thermal paste was being phased out or something a few years ago but never bothered to check.

Just one more question though: Does the mobo heat up because the cpu isn't dissipating heat at a fast enough rate or is it its own heatsink that's borked or something?
>>
(warning: actually stupid question)

I bought a new TV and I fixed some of the problems I've been having with it. I enabled volume equalization to be able to hear the dialogue and not destroy my walls at the same time, and I also turned down sharpness to 0 (turns out everyone does this).

But now... I'm not sure whether I like how my color looks. It seems a bit cold and washed out, human faces look a bit pinker on my monitor. But maybe it's supposed to look that way and maybe I should just get used to it. If I just turn the color up it also bugs me - I keep thinking this isn't the "intended" way to watch movies and it distracts me from watching.

What do? I tried calibrating it with some pack of clips I downloaded, but those require a color lens to look at your TV from. I can't find any recommended calibration settings since it's a pretty obscure model (Hitachi 40HBT42).
>>
Anyone ever used phaser on their web server? How do you set it up? The tutorial just tells you how to find your web root and then ends.
>>
>>57601990
>Heard somewhere that thermal paste was being phased out or something a few years ago but never bothered to check

For OEMs, sure. Cheaper brands will use thermal pads because they're more cost effective albeit with worse heat dissipation. You're not an OEM though, and everyone uses some form of thermal compound in whatever form.

>Does the mobo heat up because the cpu isn't dissipating heat at a fast enough rate or is it its own heatsink that's borked or something?

There are several other components on your motherboard which generate heat, but they are passively cooled with your case's airflow. You may not have enough air flowing through the case, but you didn't list the temperatures.
>>
File: 1417270243919.png (230KB, 548x642px) Image search: [Google]
1417270243919.png
230KB, 548x642px
Is there any way to make pop up notification when a specific user tweets, on android? Without installing the twitter mobile app.

I saw something on github but it was for iOS made by some jap.
>>
>>57602019
>recommended calibration settings
that makes no sense
>>
Good public torrent for books?
>>
>>57602115
#bookz
>>
Where is the linux filesystem stored on windows 10? (bash on windows 10)

It was supposed to be in appdata but it isn't there anymore.
>>
>>57602180
here: https://cygwin.com/install.html
>>
>>57596127
is there a way to fully change W10's language to english? I have a shitty laptop and when somethings starts buffering and i click on the top window, it says not responding in my native language
>>
>>57602019
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/?

Some good calibration images here. As far as tint/hue I wouldn't fuck with this unless it's noticeably off, usually this is close enough out of the box and you just make it worse trying to fuck with it.
>>
Since Black Friday is coming up, I'm looking to buy a new TV, and I don't want to pay more for useless features that don't add anything, one done a bit of research but I'd like to hear your guys opinions

>Curved TVs
>Quantum dot display
>High Dynamic Range
>SUHD

Also would like to know which brands are the better ones, thanks for the help
>>
>>57602091
>list the temperatures.
How can I do that? HWMonitor?
>>
>>57596127
What's the difference between forking and cloning besides being able to push to a remote repo assuming you don't want to push upstream?
>>
>>57602301
I didn't realize it was a hypothetical question. Yes, HWMonitor can be used to do so provided the mobo has a sensor for it, but if it's not a problem you're currently encountering then don't worry about it.
>>
>>57602299
Those features are actually all ok. LG and Samsung are currently best buys for TV panels and features. I would personally recommend an LG (because I have one) just because of the magic remote (google it).
>>
What should I buy first?
1TB SSD and two 4TB HDD´s
or
a Sony A/V Receiver, a pair of b652 air and a center channel

Currently I have a 120gb ssd, 3tb of hdd´s and a pair of b652 and a lepai amp
>>
>>57602299
>>57602366
also, do get a 4K for future proofing, they're really not expensive at all nowadays.

>>57602386
that really just depends on what you want and like/need, anon
>>
File: 1452316252288.jpg (9KB, 340x191px) Image search: [Google]
1452316252288.jpg
9KB, 340x191px
What's a good resource for reading up on how different devices for different ports, as well as the ports themselves, interact with the OS?
>>
How the fuck should I backup my shit before attempting to install another OS as dual boot? Should I make a full system image or just copy over my files?
>>
>>57602104
Maybe try IFTTT?
>>
File: 78.png (52KB, 1245x648px) Image search: [Google]
78.png
52KB, 1245x648px
>>57602337
>if it's not a problem you're currently encountering then don't worry about it.
Well, mine does heat up in an unusual way. Sometimes it goes up to ~60 while the processor remains at 30-40 while performing some tasks, but most of the time both heat up to ~70 when under load.

Left is idling, right is under load (using ffmpeg to render a 2-hour movie with subtitles)
>>
just uninstalled 4chanx and now 4chan doesnt work
no update button, no reply window, no backlinks, no hover preview etc
how to fix it?
>>
>>57602547
TMPIN3 is above average, but acceptable (VRMs can run @ 80~115C depending on quality). SYSTIN doesn't seem right, might be a bug in the BIOS duplicating the value.
>>
>>57602644
>might be a bug in the BIOS duplicating the value.
Would updating the BIOS solve it?

Now that I think about it, I haven't updated my BIOS with the latest version on ASUS' website, I'm worried it might brick the board or something.
>>
>>57602711
I don't know. Depends on the model. I'm not entirely sure what SYSTIN represents either, i.e. whether it's just an average of all TMPIN values (and only one is reporting for that board).

Doesn't really matter if it's just a visual bug anyway.
>>
Are 2.5" hard drives any less reliable than 3.5 ones?
>>
>>57596127
Apparently when I change my machine's MAC-address to the MAC-address in use by the default gateway on a network, all traffice gets routed to my machine.

Why is my machine favoured over the actual default gateway? We both have the same MAC-address, right? Or does half of the traffic go to my machine and the other half to the default gateway?
>>
I remember moving and ever since then my desktop's clock is out of sync.
I have to use internet to set it back but what could be the problem?
hardware? router?
i've reset and done the IP config stuff, I thought it was plex due to losing connection when I stream for more than an hour but i still don't know why this happens
>>
>>57602524
Well, if you fuck up your dual-boot installation, you're going to have to reinstall your current OS. You can do that by using the image, or just do a fresh install and copy the files you backed up on it.

I only have a few folders that are important on my computer: school related stuff, my music collection and some random files. So I just put them all in a folder and copy that to a USB-stick as a backup.
>>
What screen size is the best for 1440p? 24 inch, 27 inch or something else? I want to get a 100% sRGB IPS monitor for photo and video editing but I'm not sure if I should fall for the 4k meme yet.
>>
>>57602824
your internal clock is not being updated for whatever reason. fix it in your bios
>>
>>57602839
is this problem caused or causing
"Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid IP configuration
cuz i lose time sync and then eventually that internet error
>>
>>57602835
27"~30" would be ideal imo.

are there even 10-bit 1440p displays out?

re: 4k, wait a few years, unless you absolutely need the screen retail
>>
>>57602628
enable native extension on the site
>>
>>57602855
I'm just a hobbyist, I just need something that has more accurate colors than my old 1080p Benq gaymen monitor.
>>
>>57602386
Probably 1st.
>>
How i can create a Windows recovery partition like OEMs do?
>>
File: ANSI.png (16KB, 673x636px) Image search: [Google]
ANSI.png
16KB, 673x636px
>>57596127
It's basically saying it will save by default on ANSI whenever I type any special character(á,ã,í,ñ etc) and try to save.

How I am supposed to change the encoding to unicode and make it as default?
>>
>>57602260
You should be able to change Windows language to English. But other software may be installed in your native language.

>somethings starts buffering
Sounds like you're talking about something in a browser. Change your browser's language settings.
>>
>>57602854
Doubt it, unless Windows is retarded and reverts to a different timezone on NTP failure
>>
>>57602732
I see, thanks.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161120-134409.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161120-134409.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
KASPERSKY ($17.99) or ESET ($39.99)

on sale Black Friday Canada
>>
File: 1244924208822.jpg (16KB, 235x262px) Image search: [Google]
1244924208822.jpg
16KB, 235x262px
>>57603036
>installing a russian botnet AV when Common Sense 2017: Deluxe Edition exists
>>
/g/, some weeks ago I linked to a YouTube account in a SQT. Now that account is gone. What is this faggotry?
>>
>>57603036
If you think you need anti-virus you probably already have at least seven boot kits installed.

Just run Malwarebytes every week, it's free.
>>
>>57603036
Just use linux + common sense.
>>
>>57603036
L I N U X
>>
>>57603036
Malwarebytes.
>>
>>57603036
Common Sense Anti Virus 2016 SE Edition + Malwarebytes + Adwcleaner
>>
File: 4chanx_.png (40KB, 301x323px) Image search: [Google]
4chanx_.png
40KB, 301x323px
how do i revert this retarded "feature" in the catalog that just got implemented in 4chanX
>>
>>57597929
RAID is for multiple hard drives. You can't have one drive in RAID, but you can have one single SATA drive (and, in fact, you probably do).
>>
>>57603307
Double click it.
>>
>>57598789
Make an app or a game.
>>
File: hardthumb.png (523KB, 468x487px) Image search: [Google]
hardthumb.png
523KB, 468x487px
>>57603328
Thanks!
>>
Can some onepost the ghouls bash script thanks
>>
>>57596127
What can you typically delete off your C: drive assuming that you dont exactly need it?
Trying to free up space so it runs faster.
Already optimized the drives
>>
>>57600263
http://programming-motherfucker.com

But if you can't even write full sentences to ask for help, you probably won't read them and should just kill you are self instead.
>>
>>57603417
generally syswow64 and users are ok to delete
>>
>>57603442
>t. Zed A. Shaw
>>
Where do I go for info on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Computer Parts + Peripherals?

This is my first black friday with a large disposable income.
>>
how do I let firefox use more RAM?

I have 16gb of ram but when I have a ton of tabs open it starts chugging at 1.5gb of RAM usage.
>>
>>57603417
system32
>>
NVIDIA QUADRO K620 or GTX 1060 3GB for video render?
Or what else for a similar price?
>>
>>57603073
They probably closed their account normally. They probably don't even give a fuck what you did.

Once, I discovered a load of awesome European dance music from the 1990s, which wasn't uploaded anywhere else, and I took it upon myself to track it down and identify it. I asked in the comments section of one of the best songs, and a week later that song had been removed. None of the songs had videos, none of the uploads had comments, and I had never heard any of it before despite really enjoying 1990s dance music and knowing a fair amount about it.

It turns out the music I liked was actually Eurobeat, and I have no idea why the song I commented on got removed. It was probably just a coincidence. Coincidences happen. It's back up now anyway.
>>
my shitty 2nd hand ASUS laptop cant install win7 for whatever reason (BSOD with default BIOS settings, doesnt show hard drives if it even gets past the intial loading of the install program).
is it possible to install winXP from a usb ?
>>
>>57603775
Does your laptop not have a CD/DVD drive?
>>
>>57603794
yes but i dont collect obsolete media so i dont have any CDs around
the thing is im in the hospital right now so i cant really go out to buy one
>>
my speakers start crackling whenever i change the youtube volume
would a dedicated dac fix tis?
>>
>>57603546
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/set-ram-cache-firefox-41282.html
>>
>>57603862
>visiting 4chan over the hospital internet

Boy you 'bout to get the plug pulled on ya. Hope you've had a good run.
>>
does anyone know how to change the color of messages you send in hexchat?
Right now the background color i have set it very close to the gray color it gives your messages, and I don't see any way to change it in the color menu.
>>
>>57603919
nigga this hospital doesnt even have wifi
i had to "borrow" some external wifi, its such a shit
>>
>>57597935
Is that cp?
>>
Should I buy a new graphics card for Christmas or upgrade my chinkpad?

GPU is a powercolour 7870
chinkpad is a T410 with integrated graphics

I can only do one
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 1920x355px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 1920x355px
How can I get rid of the space at the bottom of the page where the click bait ads sometimes appear? Like, a Ublock filter of CSS or something maybe.
>>
just got my raspberry pi up and running, now what? can anyone give me a general direction on what is good to learn/do first?
>>
>>57604104
They have their own programming language (I think it's called Scratch), but really, they can't do anything you can't do already with something else.

Maybe see if you can get a free keyboard and monitor from somewhere so you don't have to dismantle your desktop computer just to use your meme device.
>>
Any recommendations for tv boxes to play Kodi and YouTube?

I want to get one as a Christmas gift and the Nvidia shield is overkill.
>>
>>57604265
I can SSH in or use VNC if I need visuals.
>>
File: 1429130345954.png (5KB, 601x695px) Image search: [Google]
1429130345954.png
5KB, 601x695px
if I go for i3-6300/1050ti in about three months, will I end up regretting it?

I have little interest in recent games, but not zero interest
>>
>>57604104
https://pi-hole.net/
https://www.raspbian.org/
>>
>>57604358
yes
get an i5
hell even a FX-8350 will give a better experience

>buying a 1050 Ti instead of a 1060
if you could buy 10 oranges for 2€ or 2 orangees for 1€ would you stick to the 1€ package ?
>>
Went to Best Buy and bought a TV, guy offered 4k HDMI cables, said that they allow more bandwidth to pass through for a better picture, I declined

Are those a ripoff?
>>
File: average g user.jpg (229KB, 1200x1081px) Image search: [Google]
average g user.jpg
229KB, 1200x1081px
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

>>57604527
>>57604527
>>57604527
>>
>>57603328
>>57603307
ugh every time i click it reactivates how the fuck do i permanently disable this gay shit
>>
>>57604358
3rd gen i5 + rx470 will push a lot more
>>
>>57604695
uncheck Catalog Hover Toggle
>>
Is there a chart of what ear buds are worth getting?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.