[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'd like to start learning about computing. Where should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

So, I'd like to start learning about computing.
Where should I start ?
Why ?
Is "learn python the hard way" good to start ?
Why ?

>CTRL+F "SQT" gave no result today.
>>
Learn Python the Hard Way is outdated.
>>
>>57595651
Read SICP
>>
>>57595688
this desu
>>
>>57595688
Ok I'll check this thanks.

>>57595676
Why ? Are there new standards ? Is python 3 used now ?
>>
>>57596568
>Why ? Are there new standards ? Is python 3 used now ?
Yea, pretty much.

Try https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
>>
>>57595651
>learn about computing
>Is "learn python the hard way" good to start ?

No. Learn C then C++. Then branch out to higher level languages.
>>
>>57596629
try this
>>
Whatever you do, do no learn Python with the "Learn the hard way" book. I made the mistake of wasting time on it and it's atrocious. Use any other Python book.
Only after using a proper book, did I realize how bad the teaching methods of Learn the Hard Way are.

>here's this without explanation
>look it up on the internet
>here's this really advanced, niche thing to do, fuck learning a solid foundation first, lol
>>
>>57595651
Just don't learn from books by Zed Shaw.
>>
>>57596629
/thread
>>
>>57596568
Python 3 has superseded 2 for the longest time
>>
>>57595651
There's literally a tutorial on the Python site.

If you can't use the internet to find a good learning resource for literally anything, maybe programming isn't for you.
>>
>>57596629
This

It's designed to just get you writing shitty basic stuff, so you can learn from there. Much better approach imo.

One thing I would say is that the chapters on CSVs etc. are fine in theory, but in practice it's easier to just use Pandas
>>
>>57595651
OP you said you wanted to learn about computing,
to get an understatement of how computer actually work read this:
Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software
Then get a copy of K&R The C programming Language and other book on more high level languages(Like python, ruby, ECMAScript,...).
You need to understand how the machine works in order to program, and C does a nice job teaching it, as to do stuff you have to interface hardware and the operating system, while in more higher level languages the functionality is hidden in some built-in function.
>>
>>57595651
Learn C or Lisp both are great zo you don't become a code monkey
>>
>>57597385
Yep it really falls apart around the time you start learning about OOP and he's always getting you to write a damn game. However I'm somewhat glad I started with python 2 as it's useful to know.

Automate the boring stuff is good so far. I just got to web scraping.

Make sure to actively start thinking about your own projects with what you've learnt. I started writing a really simple file manager just to clear out my downloads folder and it ended up spiralling into a comprehensive tool which can carry out bulk/batch operations, select items by regex, work with archives and split single flac files as a bonus.

Right now it's just a hobby but I'd definitely like to learn more languages in the future and I'll probably use official documentation to do so. This has been a good introduction though.
>>
People suggest Automate the boring stuff a lot, what about Python crash course? I choose it because it seems more complete even if it is "more slow"
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.