[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will happen to all the content we share and read everyday?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: feel the universe.png (431KB, 471x470px) Image search: [Google]
feel the universe.png
431KB, 471x470px
What will happen to all the content we share and read everyday? Will everything we have ever known on the internet eventually fade out into the night?

Will anyone 1000 years from now know anything about the things we are talking about? Will the current Internet 'culture' be studied in the future by historians?
>>
>>57590703
nothing you do matters.
>>
>Will anyone 1000 years from now know anything about the things we are talking about?
Only if we come up with a better way of storing data.
>>
>>57590703

asteroids are USB sticks.
>>
>>57590742
>Giving your opinion knowing it doesn't matter
>>
>>57590703
>In 400 years anthropologist will write essays about the social movement called Pepe the Frog, trying to elucidate how it started and what did it really mean.
>>
>>57590703
It's much likely to be lost. To be able to read the contents of a digital file you have to

>have electrical power available (right voltage and sufficient amps)
>have a general purpose computing device capable of interoperating with the storage medium
>have the storage medium being intact and in functioning condition
>have an operating system on the computer installed which supports any software necessary to read off the medium in the first place (like drivers for the controller/bus, partition type and filesystem support etc.)
>have software available which can read the individual files in the storage device's file system and interpret as well as display their content

Now compare that to a book which is extremely durable (unless disasters like flood or fire strike) and merely needs to be grabbed and opened to be read.
>>
>>57591235
Modern paper isn't durable as medieval "paper" (leather, later cloth).
>>
>>57591235
>Now compare that to a book which is extremely durable
Nah, todays paper is far less durable than most kinds of paper before when in contact with oxygen.
>>
I have difficulty finding content from eight years ago, let alone one thousand.
>>
>>57591305
>>57591309
Well, then we're fucked even more.

Enjoy the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_dark_age
>>
>>57590703
I do believe that computers and the internet will be just as important in history books as the industrial revolution or gunpowder. We as humans have accomplished more in the last 100 years than in the last 10,000. In an attempt to replicate ourselves (through AI) we will actually create and extension of ourselves and expand our presence throughout the universe. We very well could be the first life form to do such a thing. We could even be the only life out there. We could even achieve immortality if we can copy our consciousness into a new body. I think that if future generations learn about us in their history books, we will be on the first page. The future will be amazing.
>>
>>57591346
That reeks a bit of the naive optimism found in the 1950 hopes for "flying cars and colonization of the solar system" which we should have had by now. All the while, the western civilization which is the source of nearly all of the last century's technological progress is being threatened by collapsing, and we're closer to a global armed confilict with possibly disastrous outcomes than we ever were in the past few decades.
>>
>>57591317
>Hrm. Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

I feel the pain.
>>
I think the real question is what happens when we the Technological Singularity occurs? Basically runaway growth of A.I.
>>
File: 1349899233456.png (222KB, 564x334px) Image search: [Google]
1349899233456.png
222KB, 564x334px
>>57590703
>You will be in a thesis of some faggot 1000 years into the future about ancient internet, memes and shitposting influence to the human race.
>>
>>57590703

>Will the current Internet 'culture' be studied in the future by historians?

I really hope not. Internet culture is trash.
>>
>>57591329
>muh digital dark age
>>57591537
>muh technological singularity

Great, the future doesn't seem to bright. Which one is worse? Which one is more probable to happen? Could both happen simultaneously?
>>
>>57591910
Yea. "African-American studies", "wymyn studies" or "transqueerbbq studies" sure are way more exciting.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.