[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming evolution. Turbo Pascal -> C -> PHP ->

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12

File: 1474927684264.jpg (104KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474927684264.jpg
104KB, 1600x900px
Programming evolution.

Turbo Pascal -> C -> PHP -> JavaScript -> JAVA -> C#

What's yours?

Write your personal programming history / evolution.

You don't have to cover every single one just approx. what you remember
>>
>>57559642
it is regression not evolution
>>
>>57559736
>it's not haskell !!!
>it's useful in the real world and enterprise so it must be bad!!!
you neckbeards NEET amuse me
>>
>>57559642
objective c -> JS -> Swift but i still like JS its just i cant develop GUI applications with it
>>
>>57559642

Turbo Pascal -> 80x86 ASM -> Turbo C -> Visual C++ -> More and more Visual C++ -> Anger at STL and C++'s shitty error messages and the standard's committee's stupid obsession with cleverness and avoiding new keywords at any cost -> C#
>>
File: 14746511.jpg (234KB, 1249x757px) Image search: [Google]
14746511.jpg
234KB, 1249x757px
>>57559642
>evolution
>>
Moar like devolution lmao
>>
JS -> python -> perl
>>
>>57559776
>C#
master race brofist
last stage of evolution
>>
>>57559642

PHP -> Python -> Pascal (seriously) -> Java -> C#
>>
op must be too retarded to understand the simplicity of c. when you truly did c, there is no way to start another language, especially one that has layers and layers of abstractions.
what the fuck do you gain from your code being interpreted? are you mentally impaired??? stop flocking to corporate funded languages like java.
>>
>>57559878
> C#
Seems to be common to reach C# Super Saiyan Blue level in the end
>>
>>57559642
Haskell -> C -> java -> python/C++ (and occasionally some C)
>>
>>57559854
LOGO -> QBASIC -> Java -> Perl -> Python -> C -> Haskell
>>
>>57559897
Have you ever been employed as a programmer?
>>
>>57559897
i think that OP meant c++ not c that's probably why
>>
>>57559642
c# -> c++
not much of anything happened
>>
>>57559938
I get SSI and spend my time posting in /dpt/ threads. Does that count?
>>
Python ->
>>
>>57559953
Why not try to make something useful?
>>
>>57559985
If I was capable of making something useful, do you think I would be getting SSI?
>>
>>57559940
No, I meant C. I never implied that I mastered C. Just learned it to a sufficient degree and moved on. Are you guys seriously implying it's best to do everything in C? In that case, I have to laugh at you.
>>
>>57559996
What's the point of shilling for C if you can't make anything useful?

Try C#. Make a little game. You'll experience the joy of making something.

It's better than the autistic joy from rewriting fizzbuzz.c over and over again, I promise.
>>
>>57560019
no, of course not but js and php are garbage tier.
>>
attempt to learn something -> get distracted -> fear of failing and its too late -> repeat

the cycle never ends
>>
File: 1478371905687.jpg (17KB, 400x327px) Image search: [Google]
1478371905687.jpg
17KB, 400x327px
>>57560050
>make a game in c#
look up how many aaa games were made with c#. you guessed it none. and if you are that autistic to say unity, only the scripting layer is made in c#, the engine is written in c++
>>
>>57560241

You can make a game in pretty much any fucking language these days. Even slow as fuck python is fine for 2d games.

Choice of language is just something to argue about at this point. C++ elitists are silly.
>>
>>57560418
it´s not just something to argue about
it´s a relevant question if you want to have something that doesn´t run like shit
ie every game made in java
>>
File: 5312.jpg (7KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
5312.jpg
7KB, 195x195px
>>57560418
no one cares about indie/numale games. go play with your dragon dildo if you want something fancy and quirky.
c++ is the language that real hard working man use to create monuments of software that run at high performance.
>>
C -> Lua -> Python -> C -> Ruby -> Scheme -> Common Lisp
>>
>>57560507
which dialect of lisp should i learn if i want to grok lisp?
>>
>>57560241
Blizzard's Hearthstone was made in C#, it's a huge success, making the company many hundreds of millions of dollars from in-game purchases. Has many professional players making a living playing it. Isn't that successful?
>>
>>57560174
>>57560174
>no, of course not but js and php are garbage tier.
100% agree, both are garbage.
C# on the other hand, is very nice.
Java is not as elegant as C# but still decent.
>>
>>57560563
Its more implementation. They all adhere to the standard for the most part.

I recommend SBCL. Its the most used, heavily maintained and very fast.

(Steel Bank Common Lisp)
>>
basic -> caml -> haskell -> caml
>>
>>57560563
Clojure
>>
>>57560596
>Hearthstone Engine Unity
>Unity Written in C, C++ (Runtime)
>>
>>57559642
>College
Python ---> Java ---> C++ ---> ASM
>Work
Java
>Personal Projects
Python, C
>>
Smalltalk --> x86asm --> C
>>
>>57560672
Well, yes, the engine is in C++
So?
The point of writing an engine is that you don't have to keep writing new fucking engines for every single game.
Because of Unity, C# is now very useful as a language for writing games.
Suck my dick elitist cockshit.
>>
>C#
All I know, but it got me a job so whatever. I have been meaning to work through K&R so I can be a leet C programmer and fit in here, but thus far I am too lazy after work to bother.
>>
Java -> Javascript -> C# -> OCaml
>>
>>57560748
Don't bother.
C# is all you need.
>>
>>57560760
oops, put C between Chashtag and ocaml
>>
>>57560781
>Chashtag
lol
>>
>>57560734
>writing games
all you do is write the script layer, are you that dense? you could even make the script layer in brainfuck or the heaviest language that you can find.
c++ does the heavy lifitng, c# is the little gay cousin that helps out.
point is you don't know jack shit about game programming if you don't know a low level language.
>>
>>57560775
Probably, I dunno. I'm making 45k with no degree and I've had the job for a year and a half. Seems comfy at the moment, but I am tempted to expand my horizons so I can get better pay. From talking to my co-workers it looks like the pay scale isn't great in our area (Texas) for C# devs, but maybe we're just shit. :D
>>
>>57560631
ok ty, i'll look into it
>>
File: feelsgoodman.jpg (48KB, 330x357px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman.jpg
48KB, 330x357px
>>57559642
C++ -> C++
>>
lua basics -> Java basics -> C++ basics -> Python basics -> Bash basics ->Python intermediate -> JS basics -> Java basics -> C++ intermediate/basics -> Java basics -> Bash decent ->Python rly gud -> C++ intermediate -> C basic/intermediate cuz cpp -> Go basics -> Go intermediate -> lua intermediate -> Python so gud
>>
>>57560830
Are you saying that all other aspects of a game are less important?

What makes games great isn't just the engine.

The graphic, the story, the game mechanic.
>>
VB -> Java -> C -> C++

Of course I don't only program in C++ these days though but I consider it to be my final major learning curve in the paradigms stuck to here. Still yet to read SICP and learn functional programming.
>>
Turing (teaching language in high schools here) > Java > Ruby > Python/C# depending on the project
>>
turbo pascal - C - delphi - java - c++ - c#
>>
BASIC -> QBASIC -> VB6 -> C# (+ Java later on, C# still primary)

with a side of HTML -> JS -> PHP
>>
>>57560477
>games
>monuments of software

lel. games are for kids. As for monuments of software, Linux is written in C
>>
>>57560477
is this post satire?
>>
>>57559642
python -> java -> {C, Perl, PHP, python 3, x86 asm}
not including shell languages btw
>>
Java -> HTML/CSS -> C + Python
>>
File: 1474924493948.png (176KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
1474924493948.png
176KB, 612x792px
lua - python - java(only as an introduction) - C(embedded software dev) - C++(as C with classes) - C++(the C++11/C++14 way)

I've also done a small amount of webdev inbetween but fuck that a million times. It still fucking baffles me that browsers have become such a huge thing considering how absolutely fucked the web ecosystem is (pic related).

I don't know why, but I really like to work with C++ as a language because it feels like more of a challenge compared to other languages since you generally have to be a lot more thoughtful and have to keep track of a lot more than in other languages.

Honestly, my ideal job would be C++/Embedded Linux development since I also have a huge boner for Linux.
>>
Ruby -> C# -> Java -> Perl -> C
I still prefer working with C# and Perl the most.
>>
File: 1290609765930.jpg (46KB, 400x497px) Image search: [Google]
1290609765930.jpg
46KB, 400x497px
>>57559642
object pascal (delphi) -> python -> c# -> javascript -> grails -> java -> c -> c++ -> lisp (kek)
>>
>>57559642
My story goes something like this:

>Le 13 yo hacker age
Python
>College age
-> Java -> Python
>Working at boring big corporation age
-> Java
>Working at hipster startup age
-> Javascript -> Ruby -> Go
>NEEThood age (current time)
-> Haskell -> Clojure -> C++
>>
>>57559642
C# -> Java -> Python -> Ruby
>>
>NEET --> OSS Contributor --> Driver Dev
Bash --> C --> ASM
>>
(NEET) Java -> C -> (Jr. Java Dev) Python -> C++ ->(Webdev) Ruby -> Javascript -> Go -> (Unemployed) Haskell -> Bash -> (Sysadmin) Powershell -> C# -> (Unemployed) Rust
>>
>>57561401
Hah, that's my journey in a nutshell too. Got into Linux through /g/ while NEET, got familiar with bash scripting because Autism, learned C because memes, got through a FOSS project I ran into on HN. I can't into assembly though so hat's off to you.
>>
File: 1454928038356.jpg (36KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
1454928038356.jpg
36KB, 500x494px
Python

||
||
V

Java ==> C#

||
||
V

C
>>
C++ --> C --> Java
But I only really use c++
>>
>>57559642
Notation -> APL -> Matlab/Go
>>
>>57559736
>>57559802
>>57559815
>implying evolution means better
>>57560418
>Even slow as fuck python is fine for 2d games.
>>
C -> Scheme -> Go
>>
>>57559642
this movie was alright
>>
Html -> Css -> Javascript
>>
JavaScript -> PHP -> Java -> Haskell
>>
C++ -> Java -> JavaScript -> Python -> C -> C# -> Scheme -> C++
>>
>>57561774
How old are you and when did you start?
>>
TI Basic -> C -> C# -> Java -> Python -> Ruby

The last four never really went away and get used at work quite a bit
>>
>>57560241
>>57560672
he said making a game, not making an engine. dumb fucking ape
>>
c -> asm -> C# -> Python
>>
>Learned order
Perl->Java->C->C++->Ruby
>Job Order
C++->Java->Java

Used to do all my personal stuff in Perl, after discovering Ruby (aka what Perl6 was supposed to be) I do all my scripting in Ruby both at work and at home. I use Java to make a living though. I wish I could just find a cushy sysadmin job. Java sucks.
>>
Python -> Java -> Javascript -> C++

Now a days, I use Python to run a couple commercial green houses in the area, i.e. water, lighting, shading systems, etc. I use Javascript w/ React to write my web apps, and now that I'm collaborating on an AI project, I've picked up a bit of C++.
>>
QBASIC -> Delphi -> C++ -> C -> x86 asm -> Forth
Plus various scripting languages along the way.
>>
Matlab -> Fortran -> C++ / Python
>>
>>57561118
HTML and CSS aren't really programming languages.
>>
PHP -> Javascript -> Python
>>
>>57562063
>>57565119
<3
>>
>>57559861

I don't even like C#, it's just less horrible than C++ became.
>>
File: 1477053548568.png (1MB, 840x469px) Image search: [Google]
1477053548568.png
1MB, 840x469px
>>57559642
C ---------------------------------> C
>>
Batch -> mIRC Script -> Java -> C++ -> ???
>>
File: 1479423454762.jpg (88KB, 911x492px) Image search: [Google]
1479423454762.jpg
88KB, 911x492px
>>
Pascal -> C -> Java -> Javascript

Ended up working as frontend dev. I fucked up bros. Don't be like me.
>>
I'm new to programming and I started C at uni two months ago
>>
ADA -> Java -> C++ -> PHP -> C#

Also used MATLAB. I hope I never have to use it again desu.
>>
Java -> C++ -> Actionscript 3 -> C# -> Ruby -> Lua -> Javascript
Starting with java was a mistake, i learning so many bad habits it took me years to drop them and got stuck with the oop mindset for a while. Ruby is awful for anything other than trivial scripts, same for javascript.
Now i'm mostly working with C# and C++ with a bit of lua if i need scripting.
>>
Java -> Groovy -> Scala -> C++

most of my work is in Java, Scala and C++. don't bother learning Groovy, it's ass
>>
Programmed as a hobby.
Graduated with master in civil engineering
No jobs, because thousands of laid off oil engineers in norway applying to same jobs as me.
After several hundred applications and many months : apply programming job
Work as programmer and don't use anything I learned in university
>>
Java -> C# -> C++ -> PHP(job) -> LISP(school) -> C++(school) -> Python(free time) -> LISP(teaching a class/project) with Python(also a project) and the occassional C++
>>
>>57568038
Also I use matlab since I'm a memematician
>>
>>57568015
Lol, similar situation here in Sweden. Ericsson is moving their development to Poland and China so there were hundreds of more experienced Engineers applying for all sorts of positions. I applied for Software Dev job and will start at December 1st.
>>
I'm not a programmer, but

Sinclair Basic > Pascal > C > C++ > Java > Clojure/cLisp / Haskell
>>
>>57559642
Started studying electrical engineering:
C -> C++ (but didn't understand it)
Dropped out and switched to CS:
C# -> Haskell -> attempts at learning AS3 and Haxe -> C++

Nowadays I only use C++ because I like it the most. C# is too high level for me. I know what I'm doing with my memory for fuck's sake, I don't need no GC.
Interested in learning Lua so I can integrate it into my games.
>>
>>57568240
Lua is pretty neat. It is prototype based, rather than having objects. It can also interface nicely with C.

I'd recommend it.
>>
>>57568330
Any advice on how to integrate it into a C++ game engine as a scripting language?
>>
>>57559642
Python -> Java -> Python -> bash -> c
>>
QBasic -> Turing -> Visual Basic -> Java -> PHP -> JavaScript -> VBA -> ActionScript -> C#
>>
BASIC => C++ => Java => PHP

It all whent downhill after C++ imo. Now I work in law and do programing as a hobby.

My goals are to keep informed enough to understand what the hell the IT guys are talking about when I represent them...
>>
I use Python, Haskell, C and C#.
Depends on the job but I still use them all.
>>
>>57568532
> My goals are to keep informed enough to understand what the hell the IT guys are talking about when I represent them...
You do the nice job, anon
>>
freePascal ------> C++
|
Java <----------> C# ---> Python --->JS
>>
>>57559642

Cold Fusion > quit programming
>>
>>57559642
I believe in understanding the underlying technology rather than stacking potentially useless high-level knowledge

When the need arises to learn a new language it should be a trivial thing to do
>>
Pascal -> C++ -> C# -> Java -> Python
Currently still doing Java at work.
>>
File: maths2.jpg (19KB, 480x244px) Image search: [Google]
maths2.jpg
19KB, 480x244px
>>57559642
Java->Python->C->C++
inb4 pajeet
I do live in a third world country though.
>>
Torquescript -> Ruby -> Java -> C/C++

I use Java, C and C++ mostly. I only use Ruby for odd jobs now
>>
File: 1476519799868.jpg (66KB, 600x810px) Image search: [Google]
1476519799868.jpg
66KB, 600x810px
Python - >
>>
>>57559642
My programming history so far
(self-taught) BATCH -> (self-taught) VBscript -> BASIC -> C# -> (self-taught) TypeScript -> Java

>inb4 pajeet
>>
>>57562521
8 year process.
>>
Python (high school) -> Java (uni) -> C (NEET) -> C#/F# (contract work)

I'm thinking the next step in my evolution might be scala because it looks like F# for JVM.
>>
Visual Basic -> C -> C++ -> Java -> fuck this bloat -> Pascal + C
>>
>>57568015
Did the same thing in the US. Petrol Engineering grad when the oil market tanked. Went crazy into depression for a year then a friend told me I should program since I could into logic. Haven't used a damn thing from uni. Wish I could get those years of my life back. Oh well.
>>
Visual Basic -> Actionscript -> C++ -> C# -> functional language circlejerk -> Python -> C++11

I'm surprised I can hold down a SE job with those first two. Newgrounds, man.
>>
BASIC -----> C++ ------> ActionScript 3.0 ------> Java -----> Matlab ----->Various libraries & frameworks in Java and Matlab

Thanks for reminding me actionscript. Those where fun times.
>>
>>57566968
>mfw when D, Eiffel, Modula and Oberon are missing
>>
Taught myself Ruby after working 9 years as a long-haul trucker. Picked up bits and pieces of other languages since then but never had to learn anything else well. I could probably slot into a Python or Java position without too much trouble, but I like working with startups.
>>
>>57568472
Use a scripting language with a C++ implementation + API like AngelScript/ChaiScript instead.
>>
>>57559642
C64 BASIC -> Simons' Basic (c64) -> Turbo Pascal -> C/Free Pascal/Assembly (x86) -> C++ -> lot of other languages I found which worth a try or worth learning. Java/C# was among them, but I try not to use them anymore, I had to use Java a for a job though. I learned enough other stuff like Lua/Python/Bash/JS/PHP/etc. to be able to use (or at least read) them when I need to. Did a bit of Common Lisp too: the theoretical implications behind it which many programmers don't get that easily, especially those who did something like Java in all their lives, regarding computer science is more important than the language though.-> Now learning D and I'm also thinking of using Free Pascal again.

This is a rough approximation. It would be better to make a tree instead of this list. Like whether you learned lang X5 after lang X3, etc, showing a progression.

>>57561038
Maybe (I respect your opinion even though I know it's the usual bait), but the technology behind it is certainly not for kids.
>>57560418
>C++ elitists are silly.
For high-performance stuff something with similar capabilities to C++ is very good. Knowing the cost of your abstractions and having your code run on bare-metal is essential for making cache and pipeline friendly code. Data oriented programming is an architectural decision which helps with this.

For most indie titles you probably don't need to worry about this and you can always use an existing engine. If you need something of your own which scales well in various different gameplay scenarios (like large areas with many actors + good AI in 3D + competent graphics) and can do all kinds of stuff then you need to worry about this. You can probably do a medium complexity engine without being John Carmack with a few friends though.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.