[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck come these resistors are considered to be in parallell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Capture.png (1KB, 309x130px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1KB, 309x130px
How the fuck come these resistors are considered to be in parallell instead of series?
>>
i'm a girl btw :)
>>
They aren't
>>
File: Capture.png (16KB, 841x275px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
16KB, 841x275px
>>57555889
wtf is this shit about then?
>>
>>57555910
Nothing in that says that the 667ohm and 3k ohm resistor are in parallel
>>
>>57555948
>what is 3k/(667+3k)
>>
>>57556003
A voltage divider of series resistors you retard
>>
>>57555910
It's saying 1k || 2k = 667. Are you missing an earlier diagram showing the less simplified network?
>>
>>57555910
The resistors (without the terminals' load) ARE in series.

What you have there is a voltage divider. As you go across a resistor, some voltage is "dropped". To find how much (the voltage at the terminals) you calculate what percentage of the total resistance is remaining (the second resistor)/(the total resistance shown in the circuit) times the total voltage (5v).

The equation says nothing about being in parallel.

Struggling with freshman level material is not a good sign anon :^)
>>
>>57555910
Because using the Vth method requires to calculate the resistance between 2 points assuming all Voltage Sources are equal to 0 V (short-circuit em).

Yes they are
>>
File: 1478450778759.jpg (70KB, 917x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1478450778759.jpg
70KB, 917x1186px
>>57556041
i might as well sudoku now
>>
File: Untitled.png (4KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4KB, 400x640px
>>57555861
3000 hours in gimp to draw the same circuit rearranged so your lame ass can see this clearly
>>
>>57556224
wtf here they are clearly in parallel while everyone else says the are in series
>>
>>57556164
It's ok, I had a hard time too when I was in school.
I recommend actually creating circuits on a bread board or finding circuit design software that you can test examples on.

The best way to learn is by doing!

Make me proud anon, I'm cheering for you :o)
>>
>>57556236
No anon. Both ends of the resistors must have no other components between them to be in parallel. They have to literally be able to be redrawn in parallel
>>
>>57556246
any simple software for that?
maybe for linux?
>>
>>57556298
Does your school not have any in a lab available to you? We used multisim. Can google "circuit design software" and find something I bet. Also you may get student versions of good software if you check your school's software catalog

I am doubtful that you'll find something for Linux. Best of luck though.
>>
>>57555910
looking at those values, I would guess the 667 ohm resistor is really a 1k parallel with a 2k resistor.
>>
Damn it, I watched Walter Lewin's lecture on this and I don't remember shit.
>>
>>57555910
That's voltage division to find Voc. Rth is always the top one in Thevenin and that is in series because you're adding them regularly when doing voltage division.

It would be in parallel, if the 687 was on the right side and didn't look like a thevanin circuit.
>>
>>57555861
thats series... 667 has to be connected directly to the + and - of the battery (just like the 3k) to make the system considered parallel.
>>
>>57556298
Microcap
Proteus

Also, if you are struggling with this, just know it gets much, MUCH worse.

Anyway, unis in USA seemed easy so you might actually do well after some study
>>
>>57556224
They do not share any leads fuckwad
>>
>>57559492
yes they do you fuckwad
>>
>>57559609
I'm trying to confuse OP here shut the fuck up
>>
>>57559609
Shut up, OP they don't share any leads. Trust me.
>>
File: parallel.png (12KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
parallel.png
12KB, 1152x648px
>>57556236
>>57556267
Not the original drawguy but here. Here is an example of parallel I drew real quick using the same values.

think of it this way at least in this scenario:

both the resistors are "seeing" the same voltage at their respective "same" end. Top on both gets 5V bottom is 0V because it's directly tied to "ground." so they are in parallel because both resistors have the same voltage across them.

in series you lose voltage across the first resistor. ...IN SERIES....When measured in reference to ground, the first resistor would have 5V at the "first" terminal, then some smaller fraction at the second, the second resistor would have that same voltage on its "first" terminal, then it would have 0 volts on its second because we assume ground in this case is 0 volts. The voltage across resistor 1 and resistor 2 would equal 5 volts in an ideal circuit.

Make sense?

I always liked digital better....
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.