[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to buy a chromebook. Does anyone have any experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

I'm looking to buy a chromebook. Does anyone have any experiences with them? I'm starting some internships next week so I want something portable, fast and sturdy.

I've narrowed a few options down to the Toshiba Chromebook 2 or the Dell Chromebook 11. The only problem is that I live in Australia and I'm trying to figure out which American websites will deliver here. Anyone know the best websites to import from?

Cheeeers
>>
We use these for school and I dislike them. If you're using them for work and you like small things then it's okay.
>>
>>57546678
I only really browse the internet so I thought one would be good for me.
>>
>>57546678
Not opie but isn't a chromebook better than a shitty netbook with W10 if you only need it for studying or doing simple work?
>>
File: asus-eeebook-x205ta.jpg (137KB, 1000x591px) Image search: [Google]
asus-eeebook-x205ta.jpg
137KB, 1000x591px
I got one of these used as new for 120€. Takes Win10 to home edition, I upgraded to pro.

Fast and snappy. Long lasting battery, 4core meme atom
>>
>>57546788
I'd rather have a laptop with W10.

Just my opinion.
>>
File: that guy rainbow.png (102KB, 803x805px) Image search: [Google]
that guy rainbow.png
102KB, 803x805px
>>57546651
>Get a $300 Acer one, 4 GB RAM and 32 GB hard drive
>Install Xubuntu with Crouton script
>Have a nice laptop with an actual Linux OS for cheap
>>
Office works actually sells a few models. My local one sells a few models not listed on the website too.
>>
>>57546865
My dad says to go with HP but I don't know which way to go. I don't need anything too powerful. I just want something that has a ton of battery and won't lag.
>>
>>57546845
same, got the acer chromebook 14 for $200 on sale (normally 300) and tossed a minimal ubuntu install with i3 on there.

it was cheap but doesn't feel like it
>>
>>57546651
I have an itch to buy a chromebook
They sound like neat little linux machines
>>
>>57546651
toshiba CB2 is dope.

if you want more out of it, you can use crouton to install full linux DE. you can also use ARC to run android apps on it, though chromeOS will very soon fully support the play store.

it does NOT have to always be online. it all depends on the app you are using. even the basic google ones all cache on the disk until you have a connection.

battery life is outstanding. easily 10hrs, more or less depending on what youre doing.

the CB2 has a model with 4GB of RAM and a 1080p IPS screen. i feel like 13.3" is really the lowest screen size possible to still be productive.

slap an SD card in it for extra storage.

enjoy.
>>
>>57546897
I had a Toshiba one that lasted 12 hours without a push. I would say the HP 14 wouldn't be too much different since the battery size is similar and have the exact same CPU. But regardless you won't be disappointed, mine booted up in under 5 seconds and everything was very snappy. Got mine from Dicksmith just before they closed up. I would head towards the Acer one at officeworks though, felt a little more well made.
>>
>>57546975
I'll see if officeworks has one of the HP 14s.
>>
File: 1478829980735.jpg (146KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478829980735.jpg
146KB, 640x640px
>>57546923
Not OP, but hows the battery life running a linux distro? Do you still get your 10 hours using linux?
I'm on a samsung 3 chromebook, by the way.
>>
>>57547504
If you run linux ontop of chromeOS no
replace? maybe if you do the same lightweight tasks and not ffmpeg and youtube-dl
>>
>>57547504
Not the same poster but have owned a CB2. I used Xubuntu and it puts much more load on it just browsing. I was down to about 6 hours. Most of the time I found myself just using ChromeOS anyway as it was more than enough functionality 90% of the time. Obviously use cases vary. Could never find any drivers to get the touchpad working under Windows.
>>
The pixel is one of the only good looking Chromebooks and they gave up with that.
Sure there are other ones that look decent but that fucking icon in the top left is cancer.
>>
>>57547610
The pixel is to god damn expensive, expecially for a chromebook. the average user wouldn't need those kind of specs.
I-I like the logo but I have a sticker over it
>>
Anyone used the HP Chromebook 14? How is it? I can't get the Toshiba CB2 or the Dell CB 13 in Australia.

I heard the Dell 11 has a noisy fan so I am cautious about it.
>>
>>57547809
It's fine. If you're in Sydney check on Gumtree as well. There's a heap near my area for $200 brand new (although older models).
>>
I went to an officeworks and tried out the HP 14. It was pretty gross and a bit too big.

I'm now thinking of this.

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/hp-116-celeron-4gb-ram-32gb-ssd-chromebook-g5-x8y04aa-hp/
>>
>>57548243
That's way way too much for a chrome book. That would be a silly choice. They used to sell the Toshiba ones for $250 with the same specs and they were much better quality than the HP's. Look on eBay or consider the Acer that's still around in some stores.
>>
>>57548450
http://m.ebay.com/itm/401124198673

?
>>
>>57548577
That's not bad. Better than a $500 HP if you don't like it.
>>
My friend has one and loves it. It performs better than a $1000+ laptop for normie desktop applications.

If everything you need can be done online they're wonderful
>>
>>57548450
Dude, but it has a 16 GHz Celeron!!
>>
>>57546651
I use the Dell 13. This thing is on par with a MacBook in terms of quality. Speed is not noticeably different. I'd recommend not cheaping out on something that is already fairly well priced.
>>
Using an Asus C200 Chromebook at the moment, everything is alright, and if you have decent connection, you can play 1080p 60fps video. The display is alright, colors are accurate, but it's really a Facebook machine. I'd recommend you install/dual boot Linux.
>>
>>57546651
I bought one thinking it would become my primary "casual browsing" machine, but the limits of the operating system, plus all the Google data slurping that can't be disabled, turned me off completely.

If you really want one, I recommend a model compatible with Gallium:
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
>>
>>57548734
>macbook
>quality
>>
>>57548652
I like the look and the reviews of the Toshiba but I'm worried about buying refurbished. Hmmm
>>
Make sure you get one that is on the support list for Google Play support. Otherwise you're fucked
>>
>>57548785
[TRIGGERED]
>>
>>57549195
What's that? And why?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.