[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is gnome the only good DE? i used others such as budgie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

why is gnome the only good DE?

i used others such as budgie and the windows manager it comes with is so fucking ugly. gnome looks simple and neat. you don't have all this unnecessary shit all over the windows manager.
>>
>>57544425
gnome is ugly as shit. are you blind?
>>
>using the GUI No One Might Enjoy™

http://tuomov.bitcheese.net/b/archives/2006/12/08/T18_20_23
>>
File: spoop.gif (79KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
spoop.gif
79KB, 312x312px
>>57544425
Just give up now, KDE Neon will be the one to bring about the Year of the Linux Desktop.
>>
>>57544702
>Not ricing it
>>
>>57544781
2017, the year of the Linux desktop at last!
>>
>>57544425
Gnome is ok, but there is much room and little hope for improvement.
They got vsync, dynamic workspaces, search in menu and nautilus right,
but the top panel could be much much better, also the notification area (or tray i don't know how they call it) should just be moved to right top, as an expandable icon.
More things that are wrong:
>mutter should allow corner snapping
>the left top "hot corner" should be just window/workspace view, there should be just a simple search menu as click able/shortcut, something like whisker would be sufficient imo.
>user should be able to easily change the top bar size with gnome-tweak-tool or in gnome-settings
>acceleration profile should be flat by default, changegable in mouse settings not gnome-tweak-tool
>top bar should have global menu like unity ,not this weird icon-button, or the application tray, you really shouldn't need to click something for access to either of those.
>the alt-tab switcher should be not-grouped miniatures with icons by default. I don't know anyone sane who would like it the way it is and i don't wanna know such people.
>>
>>57545595
*search in nautilus right, nautilus itself is pretty horrible and slow, but lets say it works.
Oh and by the way i forgot:
>Fix the fucking icon layout on desktop, like holy fuck what is this atrocity in 2016, pcmanfm does this milions time better.
>>
>>57544425
>i used others such as budgie and the windows manager
>budgie

Another solus shill. This is the next-level shilling adopted by solusfags. They name-drop solus or budgie while listing other Linux distributions or DEs to give solus/budgie legitimacy and make it appear as a popular distro.

Another example of shilling would be:
>Ubuntu is really the best distro, I don't know why people bother with Arch, Solus, Debian, Fedora or any of the others.

Please ignore solus shilling threads.
>>
>>57545628
desu the more shit solus threads i see the more i want retards to get memed into using it. The same way it was with elementary and mint.
>>
>>57545628
>>>/x/
>>
>>57545663
>the more i want retards to get memed into using it
why? so we could have more solus threads?
>>
>>57545675
Why do you care if you can just filter those. Anon don't tell me you want retards using Your Distro Of Choice™ if they can't choose it on their own but need some kevin shilling.
>>
>>57545595
>but the top panel could be much much better, also the notification area (or tray i don't know how they call it) should just be moved to right top, as an expandable icon.

you can do all of that with 1 minute of customization, which requires no scripting or other knowledge beyond pointing and clicking
>>
File: Mageia.png (545KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Mageia.png
545KB, 1024x768px
>>57544425
Cinnamon is the only answer.
>>
>>57545785
Its really the one minute of customization you just shouldn't do. Its the same with mouse settings, grouping by default in the switcher, things that anyone sane will hate out of the box. Im not saying that "waah its not that way on muh windooze and I'm too much of a crybaby to fix it myself" but really if you force something different than every other Linux DE on people you should just make it super one-clicky to change, not making people download extensions. Especially if those are super minor changes.
>>
>>57545803
Cinnamon has something about it i can't quite put my finger on. I like the menus , i like the configuration, I like the shortcuts and the interface ,yet i dislike cinnamon ,and it does not feel familiar no matter how long i use it, while gnome, unity or xfce ,even kde feels familiar after 2-3 days.
>>
>>57544781
>kde
hot garbage, kill you're self
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.