[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do they use GNU/Linux in Europe? Do they even use Apple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 1479167058327.jpg (35KB, 380x390px) Image search: [Google]
1479167058327.jpg
35KB, 380x390px
Do they use GNU/Linux in Europe? Do they even use Apple computing devices?
>>
I'm from fucking roman(ia), and no. People here, and in our neighbour Bulgaria, are using Windows 7, sometimes 8,1, and some 10, because it updated by itself. Hell, I'm personally running XP right now.
Never seen somebody using apple computers - iPhones do enjoy some popularity, but the rest of the apple products? No.

Apparently GNU/Linux enjoys more popularity in Switzerland, Germany, the baltic states and the nordic countries. I don't know why it is so popular with people in those countries - but I'm glad.
>>
>>57525912
Frenchfag reporting.

As I suppose it is the case in the US, *nix is used by hacktivist teenagers and that's about it (except obviously for sysadmins)
Macs are used by the technology-impaired, the clueless, show-offs and the LGBT community in general (including designers, artists, etc)
Windows is used by normal people with normal jobs
>>
File: 1478351451727.jpg (242KB, 766x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478351451727.jpg
242KB, 766x758px
Mac are hipster thing in Poland
iPhones are more popular as in Romania, but still it's considered to be for rich
Aaaaand Linux (oh sorry GNU/LINUX) is not very popular. I can say it's not very liked though.
Everyone works on bangblows 7, 8.1 or 10 or even XP or Shitvista
NOBODY EVEN KNOWS WHO RICHARDO EVEN IS
Oh, and they hate anime
>>
>>57526163
there are also lots of developers with a GNU/Linux environment.
But overall, normies use Windows, some use Macs and that’s about it. I never personally met someone using something else on their own computer.

>>57526198
>Oh, and they hate anime
France is literally the second largest market in the world for anime and Japanese culture after Japan itself.
>>
>>57525912
>>>/pol/
>>
>>57525912

Linux is not common on desktop here in the Netherlands but android is the standard for mobile devices. iphones and ipads are usually owned by old people, girls and some others who call every tablet an ipad.
>>
>>57526240
It'd be better if the mods just deleted the picture, as there's potential in the thread.
>>
>>57525912
Where can i find the most linux user aside mom's basement?
>>
>>57526198
Macs are hipster thing in Poland but Linux is not hipster amongst IT people.
And normal people generally hate you for using something different than windows and point out literally any flaw they can spot, as if the sole idea of people not being forced by jews (or better americans) into using windows is hurting their free will.
Windows is like the big nazi/commie oppressor that literally everyone hates but people need it in order to stay miserable and have something to complain about.
So you have a casual normie no-name laptops running windows 7 with shittone of bloatware that people don't want to format (even with a fresh new windows) because they are "used to it" but every time they talk about this they say its slow and pissing them off.
Other people i know that like to say linux is hipster shit are gamers who cannot even connect a microphone without getting mad about something being wrong.
>>
Grande école CE student here. We use Fedora and almost exclusively FOSS (teachers all have Macbooks though). In the ENS (supreme elite universities for autistic future mathematicians/physicists) they use Debian.
>>
I know that apple computers are more popular in the UK than they are in the US
>>
>>57526803
> Britain
> Europe
>>
>>57525912
Im from east yurop
Some use XP, most use 7, there's a decent Linux community, but they're all programmers
Only rich people use Apple.
>>
>>57525912
We call it Linux here.
>>
>>57526836
kek
>>
>>57526836
Not yet, you son of a bitch. Also, what's up with
> this distance?
>>
File: 1478755344362.png (976KB, 710x967px) Image search: [Google]
1478755344362.png
976KB, 710x967px
We all use GNU/Linux here and make fun of winlosers.
>>
>>57525912
Germany has a pretty vivid and present free software scene. That said, only a few people actually use a free desktop. Most people use the preinstalled Windows with 2 trial versions of anti-virus software. Many young people (le born in le wrong generation) have transferred to Apple because they think it is cool. It's not, I have to use a MacBook at work and you can't even use LaTeX because the german apple keyboard doesn't even \{}
>>
>>57527094
just use Libreoffice (or Word but i hate it and the equasions look like shit) with CMU fonts, noone will tell the difference.
>>
>>57525912
A few hipsters, that's about it. There's no major benefit to it if you're not running a home server or a website. Normies who use Chrome and Office couldn't give less of a shit about what's running on their computer beneath it.
>>
Bump for Marine.
>>
Most PCs in Bosnia and Herzegovina run Windows 7 or Windows 10.
Apple devices are used by either degenerate rich kids or middle aged """"businessmen"""".
>>
>>57525912
No, they are banned
>>
>>57526046
>Never seen somebody using apple computers - iPhones do enjoy some popularity, but the rest of the apple products? No.
French here, pretty much this
>>
Ubuntu/gnome on all new computers in my uni in Paris, France. Old ones are dual boot Win7 and ubuntu/xfce.
>>
>>57526259
>>57526674
>>57526794
>>57526859
>>57526869

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57525912
Windows 7 is the most used here. Nobody uses Applel either, for phones it's Android
>>
>>57527274
What?
I study in a french university, and the majority of students have either a chromebook or a macbook..
>>
Probably half my school (university in Germany) is on macs
>>
>>57527758
>Nobody uses Applel either
from that graph that looks like around 8% though

not much but hardly "nobody"
>>
we call it linux in here
some usage
I know russians are all hot for it
>>
>>57525912
>Do they even use Apple computing devices?
iOS comes in at about 40% market share against 55% Android in the United Kingdom. Well beyond even the United States.
>>
File: 1353612150001.png (40KB, 505x800px) Image search: [Google]
1353612150001.png
40KB, 505x800px
My completely meaningless observations: normalfags mostly use cheapo MSI or Asus laptops with Windows and typically don't own a desktop computer at all.
Devs tend to have ThinkPads or business line HPs with GNU/Linux though.
Appleshit aside from iPhones is rare.
>>
Thank god in Greece Linux is very well spread in Universities, but still the majority has windows cause muh games and just werks
>>
I'm from the Netherlands, specifically one of the 'remote' islands in the south.

Mac(book)s are a common sight at (web)design companies and educational institutes. Don't take my word as fact but I'd say about 20% of the laptops at my school are Apple devices.

GNU/Linux is only used by a fraction of people at my school, as you might expect they are almost exclusively from IT-related faculties. GNU/Linux is of course used extensively by server operators in all branches.

Unsurprisingly, most people still use Windows is for day-to-day desktop work.

Most people have android devices but Apple is very present on the mobile device market here.

I don't think we differ much from people across the atlantic.
>>
>>57525912
1) yes
2) significantly less than in states, particularly macinthoshes. iphones are more common, "I can afford" status symbol and all
>>
File: 1471201898332.jpg (100KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471201898332.jpg
100KB, 960x720px
>>57531665
Forgot to state location.
Same woodlands as >>57528225 and source land of this fun pic.
>>
Romania here, windows is the main OS used, some devs use linux mint at my work but they are very few and they still are multi booting with windows.

Apple products are mostly used here by hipsters from art schools or gipsyes that like to show off with them just bechause they cost more than other products.
>>
>>57525912
>Czech Republic
Most common OS nationalwide would be pirated Windows 7. Followed by various legit versions of Windows. I've yet to see somebody with Mac as a personal device (I don't hang around rich neighborhoods). iPhones are quite popular though even among the poorfags. Especially among the poorfags.

As for Linux, Ubuntu is pretty big in the country (dumbed down and comes translated). There's also considerable Fedora community (strongly encouraged by RedHat, who have big branch here).

Generally we just pirate everything because it's not illegal as long as you only download and don't upload (loose laws). We're not worried anybody would spy on us because we don't fucking matter as a country.
>>
>>57531868
>because it's not illegal as long as you only download and don't upload
not true, that is only for media (movies, music, et cetera). Software is not covered by this and is illegal to pirate for yourself. Not that a home user would ever come into trouble due to that, just businesses have to fear

>We're not worried anybody would spy on us because we don't fucking matter as a country.
I actually see tinfoil hats everywhere. Especially on abclinuxu.cz

>I've yet to see somebody with Mac as a personal device
two of my university classmates had them (it's like 5 years ago). One a a big older macbook pro, he was kinda fanboy I think. The other was some girl with the smaller plastic one.
>>
>>57525912
sent from my Mac in UK.

literally everyone at my university uses a macbook
>>
>>57525912
>Do they use GNU/Linux in Europe?
everywhere except Finland
>>
>>57527799
yeah this thread speaks more about the fact that the average /g/ user is a 17 year old who doesn't know what they're talking about because they have very limited experience than the technological make up of the country they're from.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.