[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anybody know if the raspberry pi 3 can output 240p via its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

does anybody know if the raspberry pi 3 can output 240p via its 3.5mm composite/audio combo jack?
want to make a little emulation box and run it on an old crt tv via composite video. but if nes and other older game consoles are forced to run in 480i, I wont bother.
>>
It's pretty much like the old camcorders you use. I'm pretty sure you can with some easy configuration. Actually posting this on my pi 2 kek.
>>
yes it can! however dont get a composite cable without a filter.
you will hear this ungodly buzzing sound
get the cable that comes with the project chip
>>
>>57518703
does this buzzing sound come from the raspberry pi or your TV
>>
>>57518807
The cable
>>
>>57518431
You can buy 4 pole 3.5mm RCA cables on Amazon. The only issue you might have is one of the audio colors being video. The cable I bought had video coming out the red composite connector. Audio working fine on white and yellow.
>>
>>57519055
the type of cable and where to get it is already well known. its a question of the resolution. theres sparse information about it online as most people just use HDMI, or if they are using a pvm they get an hdmi to vga to bnc converter.
not many people use the composite out, and ever fewer understand what a pixel perfect display would mean for classic game consoles in emulationstation.
most threads on rpi forums are just people saying how its "supposed to be blurry" etc because "its crappy composite video"
>>
from what i've read, the composite output on the rpi only supports PAL or NTSC (576i/480i), the firmware that controls it is closed source

you can output 240p from the hdmi port though
>>
File: VGA-My_Pi_700.jpg (289KB, 700x435px) Image search: [Google]
VGA-My_Pi_700.jpg
289KB, 700x435px
>>57519490
Yeah this is what i've read too. Seems like people custom make boards for the gpio header that has vga out because the hdmi>vga>rgb conversion causes a bit of lag

So long story short you can never get 1 to 1 video emulation of older consoles using a raspberry Pi via composite cable.
>>
>>57519552
seems that way

inflexibility is typically what you get from closed source stuff
>>
>>57518431
What is 240p but 480p with pixels doubled? Set your NES emulator to use 2x2 pixels at 480p and you have 240p.

Well, there is a difference if your 240p is 60 FPS, but NES wasn't 60 FPS.
>>
>>57518431
WHAT

You can output video from the 3.5mm audio port?

Where do I find detailed info on this??

I just found out the other day the 3.5mm can output power as well. Holy shit I'm retarded.
>>
>>57520845
op is likely using a crt television, which typically don't support 480p, nor will the picture be the same between 240p and 480p
not to mention you can't do 480p over composite in the first place, you'd need at least component or SCART (RGBS)
also, the NES can do 60fps
>>
>>57521055
Whoops, I meant 480i. Composite out doesn't support 480p either. My point is you send the same thing for odd and even fields and you have 240p at 30 FPS.
>>
>>57521067
yes, at 30 fps it's /almost/ the same thing (motion does look different)
but many pre-5th generation video games are 60fps
>>
>>57520990
>3.5mm can output power as well.
How else do you think headphones worked?
>>
Sup, OP. I actually just went through this whole debacle myself. The pi forces 480i through composite and there isn't anything you can do about it unfortunately.

What I ended up doing was just getting a cheap optiplex and a 4850 with CRT_emu, then I take the VGA->RGB->Composite with a CXA1645. This is the same converter used in the PSX and Saturn so expect a picture quality similar to either of those.

http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/rgb2svid/
^ instructions on how to build one.
>>
>>57520990
3,5mm could really output most things, it could even be used as a USB port as long as it has 4 poles like headsets do. It's just a connector.

On the pi it just outputs the analog video signal much like a analog audio.

>>57521203
Headphones aren't powered. The elements run directly of the AC audio signal.
>>
>>57521274
>AC audio signal.
Unless I'm a retard who's missing something, isn't that "power"?
>>
>>57521274
>it could even be used as a USB port as long as it has 4 poles like headsets do
Some old iPod Shuffled did just that, using the headphone socket to connect to a dock to charge and transfer files.

>>57521295
It's not much power.
>>
>>57518431
I use the Zune cable and it works great.
>>
>>57521516
Merely "working great" isn't the point though. The native composite video support on the pi can't output the correct resolution for old console and arcade games.
As said before in order to get true 240p @15hz you need to have some kind of vga adapter to rgb or jamma board (for use in arcade cabs)

Its no doubt plugging any old $5 4 pole composite cable from amazon will produce video.
>>
>>57518686
Mind posting a pic of your Pi battlestation?
>>
>>57521295
Well, yes in a sense. Any signal including those going through your ethernet cable(without PoE) is power. But usually the destinction of signal for transmitting data(low power) and power(for transmitting the energy) is made. If you have something like noise is

>>57518431
What's wrong with just setting the resolution?
>>
>>57520845
>but NES wasn't 60 FPS.
Yes it was, (in the US and Japan at least) almost all NES games were 60 FPS unless there were too many sprites on the screen.
>>
>>57521653
even if there were 9001 sprites on screen the rendering was still 60fps
unless he's just being an assburger - the truth is that NTSC NES ran at 60.0988138974405 fps
>>
>>57518431
I can confirm, it worked perfectly when I turned my 240i 5" portable crt into a portable iMac style all in one. It was pretty sick too.
>>
>>57522384
the console outputs video at a constant rate, yes, but that's beside the point

what's being argued is the (unique) fps actually being rendered by the console, which the NES can do up to 60, except when over-taxed
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.