[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is his end game here? What's his logic behind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

What exactly is his end game here? What's his logic behind not supporting commercial software? Why shouldn't data be valued, developers have to eat too and their skills are valuable. Hell, software development is one of the few ways the truly poor and broken can change their circumstances. Is it some kinda delusion resource based ideology that doesn't factor effort and work as a resource to be paid for?
>>
Free as in freedom, not free as in beer. You can sell 'free' software, you just also have to provide the source code to those you sell it to.
>>
>>57496104
Does stallman use any open source software that isn't readily available without payment?
>>
>>57496122
Does any such software actually exist? Open source developers usually have no interest in that model and for a software development firm it makes no sense, your customers are mostly other businesses who probably don't care and it opens doors for your technology to be stolen.

I can think of some things that come close, Qt and CPP-CMS for example, but they have "free for open source use" tiers.
>>
>>57496164
So basically his ideology perfectly overlaps with a destructive ideology
>>
>>57496088

Essentially he probably believes that data cannot be owned in any real sense.

Basically if you paint something it's your painting but what you painted isn't owned by you. That's his philosophy.

It's an ideology that's borderline extinct now, especially in the computing world. It's the idea that although you could own physical objects eg. HDD, data could not inherently be owned and it was essentially free and open to everyone because otherwise muh government or muh corporations could own my life etc.

I mean honestly if they ever stop printing birth certificates and degrees etc then possibly yes it could happen. However the law more or less forces most people to give out important records on paper for this reason.

Microsoft's monopoly on computing OS' has legitimately held back computing. We will never know what the world would look like if the resources that had been pumped into Microsoft in the 90's - 2010 had been diverted to a *nix system. Mac is just as bad for pretty much the same reasons.

It's an inefficient af timeline, in most industries no one company ever gets a complete patent lockdown on all ideas. If some company managed to patent the steering wheel then it's entirely possible we'd all be driving the equivalent of 1950s cars now.

Industry only really accelerates if there's strong competition and Microsoft really fucked that up. Most people these days wouldn't see things that way though. They're either blindly screeching "fuck da man etc" or they blindly believe that any way of making money should be protected completely by law.

Very few people realize that there's an optimal way to make money while improving industry/society. They either go for Stallman and believe that no company should ever place profit in front of anything else, or they believe the inverse that profit can come at the expense of anything.
>>
>>57496164

Yes, a lot of Red Hat stuff is open source but you have to pay for it essentially
>>
I like the idea and use the term "free software" instead of "open source" but I'd rather go with professional proprietary dev job + free software developer in the free time. Only this can be practical. There is commercial software and hacker software. Rarely it's possible to make free software profitable, this may happen when some government or institution funds the project (see GNU Octave).
>>
>>57496479

You rarely need to sell software period. There's a finite need really.

Once the perfect open-source library book management software is out there then you can't really sell software for library management anymore.

Software dev jobs really only exists because some systems need to be closed source for security reasons. That and bespoke systems.

Honestly most jobs these days are just heaping code into a big codebase and keeping a product 'upto-date'
>>
>>57496088
>What's his logic behind not supporting commercial software

You misunderstood something. FSF wanted us to poison me with AGPL but dude, it's time for the GPL software to rise and be professional.
>>
>>57496651
Video games are probably the biggest software industry right now and there will always be a need to "sell" them.
What you wrote is what Stallman would like to have in this world, but it's not exactly the case.
There will always be a huge demand for "software products", meaning software sold like products in a shop.
>>
>>57496684

Yeh but it's super rare that anyone other than indie devs actually code in games. Minecraft is probably the biggest recent game I can think of that involved heavy coding.

Everything else is based off an engine, derived from this engine, that was derived from this engine, etc. Most coding is done with GPU libs and pipelines etc

Minecraft is honestly a super rare example of a software dev being able to sit down and start to finish code a game. Most others use tools etc.

The way I see most cycles going is a company releases a proprietary software product, it gets a good response. Eventually demand reaches the open-source community and an open-source alternative is created.

I'll grant you there are still a TON of products in the first stage of just having enough demand to make people buy them, but eventually everything will have an open-source alternative in my opinion with the exception of bespoke software like games.

Honestly the most interesting question at this point is can we create open-source studios who's sole purpose is to churn out an open-source version of some piece of software for a company that needs greater access than proprietary software can give
>>
>>57496793
Free Software does not have a practical business model and Stallman ignores this issue completely.
This is a problem.
>>
A kid actually turned this in, for a grade, at a real school.
>>
>>57496088
How does he even make money? He travels latin america on what income?
>>
Every time BSD shills start a thread trying to tell people they should use BSD and 15 people who already fell for the BSD meme show up testifying what utter garbage BSD is a a desktop os, the BSD shill will respond with 15 threads with personal attacks on Richard Stallman.
Butthurt. It's an ugly, ugly thing.
>>
No, he doesn't endorse pedophilia.
>pasting one sentence taken out of context without his followup comments about children being too easily coerced to give consent proves nothing
Yes, he did let a parrot have sex with his hand, and enjoyed it.
>although he didn't know it was sex at the time.
And yes, apparently he did eat things off his feet.
Yes, you can sell free as in speech software
>parted magic
>>
>>57496437
Nice post anon.
Not OP but feel a little more informed for once.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.