[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Android studio is literally shit >programming >Get message

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: image04[1].png (123KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image04[1].png
123KB, 1024x1024px
Android studio is literally shit

>programming
>Get message saying I should update my IDE
>Decide not to, I like it the way it is
>apparently it decided to update for me
>80 errors after update
>cannot solve symbol R
>google it
>go through 5 pages of """""solutions"""""
>made it worse, I am not up to 200 errors
>Last ditch to completely remove android IDe and everything else
>reinstall, import project
>still has 200 errors

Jesus fucking christ, this is exactly why i didn't want to update, I had to modify it very carefully last time to prevent this.

>pic related, shittiest IDE for android, ever!
>>
Just use Xamarin.
>>
Use apache cordova or some shit, Java and the android dev environment is horrible in general
>>
>>57494382
Just block the software in the firewall , then it wont check for updates or be able to update
>>
Don't blame IntelliJ, but blame Google for adding bloat to it. The IDE is good, as far as IDEs go, but all the Android tools make it bad.
Welcome to Android development.
>>
>>57494389
>code in C# for android

wdf, are you high?? I am not gonna fucking code in C# for android.
>>
>>57494382
haha, you are an idiot. tried Build > Clean Project or Rebuild Project?
>>
>>57494441
>coding in Java
>for anything

Each to their own, I guess..
>>
>>57494904
This, had that R symbol error once, Clean project solved it.
>>
That symbol R shit is killer, I've spent many an hour fixing it before
>>
>Get message saying I should update my IDE
>Decide not to, I like it the way it is
>apparently it decided to update for me
>80 errors after update
>cannot solve symbol R
>google it
>go through 5 pages of """""solutions"""""
>made it worse, I am not up to 200 errors

FUCKING AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I feel your fucking pain my nigga.

And fucking gradle build issues.

Fuck android studio.

Eclipse was no better though.

I also wish they had visual studios debugger.

>pic related, shittiest IDE for android, ever!
Is there an alternative?

I hear good things about xamarin but been to busy to take a good look.
>>
>>57494973
What's wrong with Java?
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 335x178px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 335x178px
Android Studio is the most annoying shit ever. I can't even get the virtual device to load, I have to use my phone.

It's such a tedious piece of shit. All I REALLY want is a WYSIWYG Android application designer. I don't need all the fancy bloatware it installs.

Seriously. Why is programming so shitty? Why does it have to be this way? There's no pride in doing a bunch of tedious and difficult work just for the sake of it. Maybe others are more passionate than I am, but it always turns me off. I even remember Valve saying it too. That they had to redesign the developer tools so that the community can use them because programmers will put up with a lot of shit, but customers won't. Clearly it's a real issue.

I swear I'm just gonna do HTML/CSS "programming". Maybe a bit of Javascript. Say whatever you want, but at least it instantly works and there's no bullshit. Makes me happy.
>>
>>57494429
>>57494412
You haven't experienced "bad" until you developed for ios.
Holy shit is that a conglomerate of fuck ups
>>
C4droid is handsdown best one
>>
>not using Xamaring

Yu deserve this faglord. Even the most HC android fanboy devs. are using at least Visual Studio emulators for android. Based hyper-v.

If MS gets one things, it's the dev. environment. Unmatched before, unmatched now, unmatched in the foreseeable future. Just look at all the goodies VS "15" is bringing. Can't wait.
>>
>>57495193
Just learn C, anon.
>>
>>57494389
>>57495588
Xamarin viral advertising thread
>>
>>57495540
Get fucked XCode "Just Works(tm)"

Absolutely shits on AS.

I can get the same application to work on Xcode with swift in half the time it take me to do the same functions in AS with Android. And the emulators in XC are way faster and designing in XC is fucking drag drop could it get any easier?
>>
>>57495588
Yo can you educate me on VS emulators. How can I get it to work with my android app.
>>
>install updates
>downloads ALL archives at once into /tmp/
>then tries to extract them
>only when everything is extracted does it remove the archives
>this results in an update size requiring a minimum of twice the amount of free space that they claim it needs
>mvq trying to do this on a 24gig SSD on a laptop
>>
>>57496234
Maybe for your Hello world app. For more complex applications, I literally have not been able to make the layout the way I know I wanted it to be. It was just impossible without editing the xml (and the android xml is super clean, contains only the relevant stuff and is very readable. In xcode you rely on xcode understanding in relation to which element you want to position something. If xcode guesses wrong, well get fucked, you can't make it right.
What about having a text input with an auto complete drop down? Android: 5 lines of code plus a pre-made ui element that already works, follows design guidelines and is easy to implement. On xcode you have to do EVERYTHING yourself and follow the design guidelines. If you actually know what you want to do, xcode is a huge time killer. And swift is a literal meme language and it doesn't try to hide it. "stringByReplacingOccurrencesOfString". That is such an obvious troll by the designers of this language. I can hear them in their offices: "we gonna give it the most ridiculous name ever, and our fucking sheep will defend it! HILARIOUS"
>>
>>57494382
Use intellij with the android plugin. It's much cleaner. It's basically the same IDE but with separation of Android and the IDE.
>>
>>57497294
Edit: I meant the story board xml is unreadable garbage full of auto generated Ids that are referenced all over the place, while android is as clean an xml as you can make. So to achieve what I wanted, I'd just add 2 lines to that xml and be done. In xcode I would either rely on the autolayout garbage or work with that pile of shit xml ios uses. Plus, androids layout editor is better too
>>
>>57497332
I like android studio. I was talking about how shit xcode is. Didn't clarify that enough, I think
>>
>>57497352
I responded to OP though
>>
>>57494382
Haha what a cuck
>>
>>57494904
You missed the part where I went through 5 pages of google results try to "solutions" Also yes, Build > clean project and I even tried rebuild project, it was mentioned in every single fucking link I clicked on.

I "solved" it by creating new project, and adding just theclasses and xml/necessary files I needed. Were all good now.

>>57494973
Since I've gotten some sleep I might try C# for android. I figured C# would be more bloat for android.
>>
Hit the gradle sync option
>>
>>57497294
>editing the xml
At that point you should have deleted the xib and just did the layout in code. Interface Builder saves time for basic things, but eventually you have to just do it yourself.

>On xcode you have to do EVERYTHING yourself and follow the design guidelines
I'm not sure what your point is. Android happened to provide a widget that does exactly what you want, iOS didn't. Either you find a third party View implementation, or you write your own, yeah. Regardless, it's not like you ever have to do it again. Correctly designed UIViews can be reused everywhere.

>>57497336
I'm wondering how complex your application actually was now, if you were still messing around with storyboards. I spent a day trying to get them to work for me before realising they're a ridiculous broken timesink. A combination of programmatic layout and occasional XIBs works perfectly.

I've written fairly complex apps for clients on both platforms. iOS has its own issues but it's a million miles better than developing for Android.
>>
Is netbeans with android plugin any better?
>>
>>57495089
what's wrong with c#?
>inb4 muh microsoft
>>
>>57498324
I wasn't aware you could do it without story boards. But still in android you get a pointy clicky wysiwyg editor that just generates easy to read and easy to edit xml. Why would you prefer a workflow that makes you start from scratch when you realize that the storyboard won't cut it? On Android you have the comfort to click everything together and if you realize that something doesn't lign up the way you want, you edit one or two lines in the xml and keep using the visual editor after that.

Android has pre-made widgets for most things you need for your apps. Apple doesn't even provide simple stuff like drop down menus, but for example multiple different text inputs (text input and search bar) that are so different in code, that some solutions for given problems (auto complete drop down for example) only work for one and need to be massively changed (wasted time again) to get to work with the other one.
I made a navigation app for pedestrians/public transport.
First time I ever used a mac too. Overall not a good experience
>>
>>57494382
>Android studio is literally shit
stopped reading there
>>
>>57495067
>Is there an alternative?
haskell
>>
>>57494389
>Xamarin
While I really like C#, it's the framework that gave me the most headaches.
>Shit stops working out of the blue
>Have to jump through ten hoops to make the template projects work
>Latest version is incompatible with other core packages
>>
>>57499269
Not everyone is running wangblows
>>
>>57495540
>>57496234
I hate both Android Studio and Xcode for different reasons. I think both are complete garbage but for different reasons. I hate developing on both platforms. I wish I had never got roped into the mobile development world at my current job.

I'm still sitting on Xcode 7.3.1 because I'm absolutely terrified to go to 8.1 because of all the reviews I read that 8.0 totally screwed up their apps. I need to move to 8.1 but I haven't worked up the nerve. Plus, I'm in limbo on deploying one of my apps due to the organizational legal dept. I'll wait until this app is published before upgrading, unless Apple forces an upgrade.

Yeah, I've spent many of hours/days fixing my Android Studio apps after upgrades too. I hate them both.
>>
>>57495193
Learn python, along with ren'py you can make some decent games.
>>
>>57494441
It's a much better experience, however all the problems created by Google are still there...
>>
>>57495067
>Is there an alternative?
* Working in plain old IntelliJ Idea if possible
* React Native
* Xamarin
* Corona SDK
* Flutter - http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/05/googles-dart-language-on-android-aims-for-java-free-120-fps-apps/
* [fakespoiler]Apache Cordova[/fakespoiler]
>>
>>57494429
IntelliJ is seriously the best IDE I have ever used.
It's the only commercial software that I have a legit license for; I like it that much.

Google has shown themselves to be almost entirely incompetent in the vast majority of their products. Android is bloated to hell and back and everything they touched in IntelliJ fucked it up.
I don't understand how they can have the best and brightest computer scientists and programmers in the world but completely fail to produce functional software.

My best guess is that all of the good ones are working in their research departments and the rest is headed up by Rajahs and Pajeet.
>>
>>57501181
* https://www.b4x.com/
* Qt
>>
>>57501148
This is reply after I woke up.>>57497553
>>
>>57494382
Just use eclipse with the plugin. Not that hard
>>
>>57495089
There's nothing wrong with java, it's just that android development in java sucks dick.
>>
>>57495540
meh. xcode is bloated and slow but not really horrible
>>
>>57502935
thought Eclipse support was axed?
>>
>>57494382
>not using Emacs and Android-CLI SDK tools
this is what you asked for
>>
>>57503149
stupid fuck, kill yourself, faggot
>>
Since people are talking Android, how's Ruboto? Anyone used it?
>>
>>57494382
Just keep using react native and embrace serenity!
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.