[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this thing became so popular? Is not even free, is propietary.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Discord_logo_svg.svg.png (4KB, 280x95px) Image search: [Google]
Discord_logo_svg.svg.png
4KB, 280x95px
How did this thing became so popular?
Is not even free, is propietary. Does it have a bigger advantage tan if I just used something mainstream like Skype?
>>
bate detected

sage
>>
Because they have lots of people meming about it.
>>
>>57486602
Because it's easy to use, and works well and doesn't cost anything. They get your gaming habits from you and that's about it.
>>
constant updates are neato
>>
>>57486745
>doesn't cost anything.
it costs your freedom and your 'private' conversations
>>
>>57486805
people like you should consider not using the internet, and meeting up with other paranoid idiots to discuss your inane conspiracy theories.
>>
>>
>>57486820
They're not conspiracy theories. They're facts that people don't care about. Does Discord, Google, Etc. sell your data? Yes. Do people care about it? Absolutely not, there you go.
>>
Teamspeak and mumble are proprietary as well, and no one complains about them either. Wouldn't use that as a pro/con.

The fact that discord has centralized servers is an issue though. Not only because you have no control over a possible Discord DDos, but you don't know what kind of data they collect, which any person who values their privacy should be a aware of.

The main reason why it became popular in the first place is the simplicity and ui; mumble/ts are pretty advanced in terms of features and look medicore at best.

A easy solution for your gaming community where privacy and reliability are secondary? sure.

Anything else? nope
>>
>>57487078
You just rely on other people to tell you what you want to hear, just like with any other software. Don't act like you audit everything yourself
>>
>>57486820
>>57487127
I don't understand you people, what the fuck? I don't understand why you would come onto a website full of people who care about these things when you yourself don't adhere to the same beliefs. It would be like a black liberal browsing /pol/

We already know that your data is sold by big companies and groups. The normalfags don't know it, but for you, who has been able to find his way here - why would you choose to be a part of the demographics whose information is being traded?
>>
>>57486602
>Is not even free, is propietary
This is completely irrelevant to 99.9% of users. Tiny pockets of freetards like /g/ are the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>57486602
>How did this thing became so popular?
massive chinese backing
for similar stories see: Opera
>>
>>57486820

>meeting up IRL

It's probably a trap.
>>
>>57487113
Mumble is FOSS.

Anyways, the reason I use it is because it's about as shit as Skype, but ever so slightly nicer to use. I still see it as a necessary evil. I would love to use something else but I have no choice what other people use.
>>
>>57486805
why would I care if people listen to my video game conversations with other nerds playing games? Half the time I'm streaming myself playing games anyways

With that being said, I always liked the simplicity of ventrilo, but discord offers a lot of extra shit and is really good for coordinating shit with a large group of people
>>
>>57486602
very easy to use and reliable, it also has a great iphone app which is also free

compared to ts where you had to install hamachi, servers being harder to join and an iphone app that cost £6 discord is much much better
>>
>>57487186
You know RMS started as a meme and we are ironically just shitposting here.

Majority here doesn't give a fuck about meme freedom here.
>>
>>57487797
That's where you are wrong kid, we just suck at it
>>
>>57487186
Not everyone on /g/ has something to hide like you
>>
Just installed that shit. Is there any decent conferention?
>>
I just wish they'd fucking add screen sharing and webcam support.
Is there any non-trash lightweight screen sharing sites that don't require you to download a bunch of shit?
>>
>>57487818
What if I wanted to harm you and got acces to your files?
Everyone has something to hide, it doesn't have to be ilegal, it just has to hurt your feelings.
>>
>>57487828
I think Skype has a web version. Also google hangouts.
>>
>>57486602
Shills everywhere and it's easy to use for retards who wouldn't know how to setup mumble.

>>57487828
What about VNC or even RDP?
>>
File: 1468978839037.jpg (59KB, 640x598px) Image search: [Google]
1468978839037.jpg
59KB, 640x598px
>>57487830
This why I am pro-surveillance. Bullies like you love to harass people like me and someday soon people that make threats about harming me will be prosecuted.
>>
File: nico_nico_nii.jpg (89KB, 960x796px) Image search: [Google]
nico_nico_nii.jpg
89KB, 960x796px
>>57487186
Fuck off back to /d/ retard
>>
>>57487872
mumble's audio is only on par and the text is vastly worse, also you're locked into using whatever voice server it's hosted on which can mean big problems for people.
>>
>>57486602
It annoys me. I join a game which already has a voice chat feature that works perfectly, yet everyone wants to use Discord for some stupid reason. So I have to change all of my key bindings to prevent echo and go out of the game to set it up.

Waste of fucking time.
>>
>>57487113
But we do know what kind of information it collects. Everything.
https://discordapp.com/privacy
>>57487127
What does that have to do with anything, retard?
>>57487828
meet.jit.si
>>
isn't this just an autismo gamer version of slack
>>
still on IRC, no reason to use anything else.
>>
>>57487935
Just rent a cheap vps and put murmur on it, I did that for my gayming group and had literally zero issues.
>>
>>57487935
>mumble's audio is only on par
Mumble have been using opus for a long time and discord doesn't even support positional audio in select games like mumble does.
Setting up murmur is piss easy plus it's even using encryption by default.
The text chat is indeed pretty bad but there's always IRC or steam if you don't care about your privacy anyway.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.