[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a masters in Philosophy, and due to life's wonders,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: code-500x383.jpg (222KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
code-500x383.jpg
222KB, 500x383px
I have a masters in Philosophy, and due to life's wonders, I'm now leaving all of that behind me and I'm now moving towards being a Programmer.

One thing I noticed is how utterly elitist the community is. I've had nothing but disdain for almost everyone I've come across in this field.

Why is the elitist personality so widespread among them? Anyone has any insight or feels the same disconnect I do?
>>
>>57484344
Because they are mostly autistic and don't know how to communicate well with others.
>>
>>57484344
>I have a masters in Philosophy, and due to life's wonders, I'm now leaving all of that behind me and I'm now moving towards being a Programmer.

Don't do it anon. It's a shitty unrewarding field. Nobody ever respects programmers. Shitty wages and hours. It's a soul sucking job.
>>
All programmers are autistic. They sense your neurotypicality and scorn you.
>>
If they hate you it usually means they are half decent. Try to befriend them over the socially active macbook pro fuckbook faggot or god forbid women.
>>
>>57484363
/thread
>>
>>57484344
There's a likely SQL injection vulnerability in that picture.
>>
>>57484363
Oddly enough, they don't seem autistic, they really just seem elitist and sport a holier than thou attitude half of the time.

>>57484364
I don't know what else I could do.

>>57484390
The only decent ones were mostly women(very few however) or transfers like me.
>>
>>57484461
Asking questions in class is no indicator of competence.
>>
>>57484344
>I have a masters in Philosophy, and due to life's wonders, I'm now leaving all of that behind me and I'm now moving towards being a Programmer.

Why not law instead or something? It's closer to philosophy than programming and a lot more respectable.
>>
>>57484344
>One thing I noticed is how utterly elitist the community is.
You've just described programmers.
>>
What does this elitism you are speaking of even mean?
Maybe you are confusing your incompetence with their elitism?
Because mostly decent programmers are fed up by always having to answer the same old questions a thousand times, or hearing other stupid things, when there are enough resources everywhere to just learn by yourself.
You probably can't understand why the thing they do actually matters to them, and isn't just something they do to get a job.

Imagine how most philosophers would react if they had to hear things like:
"Hey guys, can someone explain Aristotele to me?"
or some ignorant remarks every fucking day.
One can see that these people just don't put in the time, and want everything handed to them.

This is why we are "elitist".
>>
>>57484344
>Liberal faggot who doesn't have a clue about the market or jobs is crying.
>>
>>57484344
You'll find elitists in any field. Its probably because of the school you goto that you are encountering them more. I'm going to a cheap "farmer" college and there are rarely any elitists or pajeets.
>>
>>57484344
Programming is awful.
Programmers are unhappy.
Unhappy people are rude.

Don't become a programmer. There's a reason they're called code-monkeys. It's horrible.

Having said that, as a hobby it's perfectly fine.
>>
I'm new to programming too. There are a lot of buzzwords in the field so it seems impenetrable to get into. Luckily I have a pure math degree and the 'hard' problems in CS are easier for me to understand given my training .

I found once I get pass the buzzwords programming is very learnable. I ignore the faggots that are on a high horse and luckily we live in a day and age where you can completely each yourself programming no matter what you level of understanding is.

Really, really, really learn the basics, learn some basic discrete math, learn your complexity and you'll be in great shape as you continue to learn. You'll probably end up better than the faggots that you're talking about.

I feel like some of them hide behind their buzzwords to hide their incompetence which you'll expose as you continue to learn.
>>
>>57484344
You fucked up either way.
Having a philo degree will lead to some complicated question when you apply for a programmer job and will be seen as a 5 year hole in your CV, which is a straight up job killer.
>>
>>57484659
There aren't too many buzzwords though.
Most words we throw around have actual meaning.
>>
>>57484344

>>57484630
>>57484363
>>57484364
>>57484368

These.

Also: Imagine you'd work on something with a couple of other people. Sometimes, some of those other people do something wrong or they due it in their way according to their taste.
Everytime that happened you would get kicked in the balls.

Bet you'd become elitist pretty fast.
>>
>>57484364
Not necessarily, but it's true that most people just don't appreciate the work of programmers and don't realize how much hours went into a product some jackass is going to use to send the picture of his penis to his whore.

This is easily rectified by disrespecting the users back tenfold, by ripping them off, installing adware, introducing some annoying features just to piss these asswipes off. It's pretty fun watching these fucknuts getting mad as fuck, because they can't use their favorite app any more they way they used to.
>>
>>57484804
>or they due
*do
>>
>>57484461
>I don't know what else I could do.
biggest problem IMO with the IT field in general
dumb hippies think its the best field to get into and then they are annoying as fuck

maybe kys?
>>
>>57484585
>I wasnt't like you before
>>
>>57485203
Maybe I was though?
The proper way to learn is sometimes to be coerced into doing the right things.
An example I can give:
The tutor of my CS 101 (more or less) class was like that.
We always had questions like:
"I don't understand pointers, please Help",
or:
"How does that work, I just don't get it".
In response he would tell us, that we should simply read the books.
To us he seemed incredibly elitist.
How dare he treats us like we are just dumb kids.
In reality, we only had those questions, because none of us had read the books.
We were acting like spoiled brats, who didn't want to spend the time.
Why were we angry then?
I don't know; It actually seems like something that is deeply ingrained into our psyche.
He just wanted to continue with actually important things in his lesson, and not be bothered by little things (which some wouldn't even understand after he gave in, and demonstrated how they work).

CS seems like one of the only fields where people can feel entitled to answers, even though they don't even understand the basics.
People who are at another stage, often just can't have any sympathy with such behavior anymore.
>>
>>57484344

stick to philosophy faggot.

You people disgust me. What made you think it was a good idea to learn about philosophy. Did you think "damn, I'm gonna be like Plato?"

pajeet has programming through a keyboard with only 2 binary keys on a computer he made from barbed wire since he was 5
>>
>>57484344
I'm in the same boat as you are. Art History student here. If you're lucky you meet someone nice but if you're like me you'll just be working with worthless faggots with every assignment.
>>
File: 1439337289081.jpg (40KB, 341x298px) Image search: [Google]
1439337289081.jpg
40KB, 341x298px
>>57485506
>nice:
>someone who does all the work for me

>worthless faggot:
>someone who doesn't do all the work for me

Go die in a fire.
>>
>>57484461
Insecurities. This field attracts the rejects,
>>
File: 1433859835926.jpg (193KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
1433859835926.jpg
193KB, 500x445px
>>57485557
If you are rejected by the rejects how worthless must you actually be?
>>
File: 1444422286375.png (568KB, 852x880px) Image search: [Google]
1444422286375.png
568KB, 852x880px
#shrekt
>>
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about, OP. I don't recognize this picture of elitism among programmers at all.

I do recognize a picture of strong opinions and not beating around the bush. But that's another matter entirely.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.