[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>graduated from community college 2years ago >at job that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 21321312.jpg (24KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
21321312.jpg
24KB, 385x385px
>graduated from community college 2years ago
>at job that isn't teaching me a whole lot with mediocre at best pay
>stagnating feeling starting to settle in
>would like to eventually get into systems or network admin work
How do I get back on track?
>>
>>57472506
What is your current job? What was your CC degree?
>>
>>57472511
It was a 3 year program that was basically a bit of everything. Networking, programming, security, databases. My current job is a mix of help desk and junior admin work
>>
>>57472506
At least you have a job

I've been unemployed for 2 years, failed every interview and have practically no skills

Why havent I killed myself yet?
>>
>>57472575
Because you lived to see Trump Make America Great Again.
>>
>>57472571
What region are you from and do you mind moving?

After school I looked only for local jobs in Upstate NY and found basically nothing of value for entry level sort of positions, so I was forced to move if I really wanted to fast-track my advancement.

Sysadmin positions aren't difficult to find, and they rely more heavily on pragmatism and experience than theoretical knowledge or degrees. You may find some value in certs, but the field changes at a staggering pace at companies that are even barely trying to stay competitive.

I suggest you learn at least one language decently well for automation and for interacting with cloud services like AWS (EC2 and S3 libraries for instance).

I know of some places looking in Central Florida but honestly we in this field are benefitted by being able to find positions almost anywhere, but you'll need to compromise on location for something truly great until remote work becomes the norm rather than the exception.
>>
>>57472853
I'm in Canada
>>
File: 1473222969872.jpg (890KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473222969872.jpg
890KB, 1920x1080px
>>57473348
I don't really know what the industry is like but my trajectory started with a 4 year degree, then I spent 2 years at a run of the mill Linux sysadmin job and then I transitioned to a pretty well paying job at a massive tech company in the US.

Just keep learning and always keep checking linkedin/indeedn/stackoverflow careers/remoteok etc.

You can do it anon.
>>
>>57473759
What the industry is like in Canada*
>>
>finally got a job as a c++ dev
>they assign me to do django webdev shit
>learned nothing since started 1 month ago
>pay is great
>people are shit

I don't know what to feel anymore.
>>
>>57476336
>finally got a job
>learned nothing since started 1 month ago
>pay is great

that's more than I have
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.