[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /g/, dunno how to start this but here goes. I own a PC shop,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (23KB, 415x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 415x415px
Ok /g/, dunno how to start this but here goes.

I own a PC shop, and need to distribute arch Linux to some clients for home use and i basically need something with a task managing dock (like Mac) and a modern UI. I've tried many distros but keep coming across design problems that deter me from each one. Here are my past experiences:

>AntergOS (gnome)
Great distro but inconsistent application icons, alongside a broken numix-circle theme package (defaults to gnome icons)

>Manjaro (Deepin)
Version 16.06 was perfect, but any updates through pamac update the deepin desktop environment to the latest one which makes ear-rape level sounds on startup (no matter what volume), and fade animations of windows are gone, plus the clock will not switch from 24H to 12H, at all (they deliberately did this for the latest version). Telling my clients not to update this distros packages defeats the purpose of rolling release.

>Manjaro (Gnome)
Perfect in the works, but looks ugly as shit by default (yes you can change it by theming, but when someone makes a new user account, it will look ugly again)

>ApricityOS (Gnome)
Is literally perfect in the looks department (numix-circle/arc-theme hybrid), but breaks upon installing NVIDIA drivers, and has errors like "can not invoke external downloaded whilst doing a pamac upgrade. Also, takes about 2 minutes to boot up on a 7200RPM HDD, because it does start jobs on dhcpcd when the OS uses fucking network-manager.

Is there not one arch Linux distro that looks good by default for all new user accounts, is consistent in its icons and stable when doing mundane tasks such as booting and updating packages?

>inb4 hurr durr use Debian
Fuck off

Any help is appreciated

Btw I tried standard deepin (Debian) but it's loaded full of illegal or grey-area software (hacked crossover Linux licence, music piracy in music player)
>>
What the fuck? Why do you need arch for this? If these people are normies give them macs
>>
>>57470496
Ok well, if I sold my computers with Mac OS X, I'd get fucked in the ass by Apple. Plus I want to promote open source software but I'm just tryna look for the perfect distro.
>>
Why not ElementaryOS? It's not Arch, but it fits the other two requirements.
>>
If you are autismal enough to inflict Arch on clients because you like Arch (it has no virtues for just using a computer, which is why it's a toy instead of penetrating the business market) then you must be awesome enough to code a solution yourself by exploiting the awesomeness of Arch.

> it's loaded full of illegal or grey-area software

That doesn't matter since no one is coming to enforce compliance.

Ubuntu + Macbuntu are good enough for normies. Anyone not a normie installs and configures their own distro choice.

There is no perfect OS, let alone a perfect distro. I have a couple of normies who are quite happy with Xubuntu. You are ignoring SUCCESSFUL distros because autism. Choose between success and autism, because both ain't happening.
>>
>>57470559
Problem with xubuntu - the media controls and volume buttons don't work unless programmed for each user
>>
>>57470559
Also, macbuntu sure as hell will get me in a pickle with apple
>>
>>57470686
>Changing the appearance of a free operating system will "get you in a pickle"
>>
>>57470665
>Problem with xubuntu - the media controls and volume buttons don't work unless programmed for each user

Wat? I have several Xubuntu installs with no such problem.
>>
>>57470686
>Also, macbuntu sure as hell will get me in a pickle with apple

How are you running a business without bothering to learn very much? Restyling isn't IP infringement.
>>
>>57470347

Ubuntu. Plain ol' simple Ubuntu.

Why would you even consider installing anything else on regular consumer desktops?!
>>
>>57470775
Ubuntu is ugly looks straight outta 2012
>>
>>57470766
No but those logos in macbuntu are apples creation.
>>
>>57470347
>>57470512
>preinstalling arch
You better be trolling, retard
>>
>>57470800
>Ubuntu is ugly looks straight outta 2012

Because looks matter soooo much.

Grow the fuck up kid. Running a business is about your customers and making money. Normies don't want your ideology, they want what everyone else has. Those worthy of Linux will learn about and install it themselves. All you invite by selling Linux installs or machines is butthurt when you should be turning a profit, unless of course this is all for charity.

Sell Windows, sell Macs, sell hardware. Get motherfucking PAID. Anything you do that doesn't make money towards your fucking retirement is a waste of time.
>>
Ubuntu is pretty much your best fucking choice. Do you think people are really gonna purchase what you are gonna sell? Not a lot of people have even heard about Linux. Listen to this anon
>>57470844 Nobody wants Linux besides us on /g/
>>
>>57470844
>caring about money
it's just paper that gets thrown around a system. If I really wanted money I'd just get it through less than legal means. Only reason I run a business is I don't know what the fuck else to do with my life.
>>
>>57470347
Is this some stupid bait?
>>
>>57470870
If I can sell the benefits of Linux - i can make it happen, especially if I have a good marketing campaign. I like open source and I think if I even bring Linux remotely anywhere into the mainstream, it will further create more reason for people to develop. People want beautiful desktops but not everyone wants to fork out $2K for a Mac (AUD at least).

As for my success rate, I just don't give a fuck. I could die any day, so Imma do what Imma do. If I don't succeed, who cares? Imma just keep moving on with life. Not tryna sound like some edgy cunt but tbqh I could just kill myself right now without a second thought and none of this would matter. My point I'm tryna say is that I don't need success or money to make me happy. As long as I can do what I wanna do, life's good for me.
>>
>>57470844
It's pretty obvious this fucktard is just looking for a way to not buy OEM licenses for Windows and knows precisely dick about GNU/Linux. He claims that it's about free software, but wants to pre install a distro with nonfree software readily available in the default repositories and says "fuck off" to debian. That's all I needed to see to know this is a failure of a business model, and most likely a retarded troll thread.
>>
>>57470897
Yeah famalam, I tried all these distros for a meme

Fuck outta here boy
>>
>>57470968
You're right. I want Microsoft to get their dick out me and my customers ass's with these licence fees and automatic updates - don't forget the privacy policy.

Only peice of proprietary software seen on my OEM setup will be chrome, because people use extensions and omnibar. If flash worked natively in chromium I'd have that installed instead.
>>
>>57470347
>tfw using Gnome
Is this bait? Do you need a DE or a distro? In vanilla arch you could have every fucking DE and then you would just have to decide.
>>
>>57470347
Cairo
>>
>>57470966
Do you anon! Godspeed. I hope sucess comes your way because you have a good mindset.
>>
Use Solus, then... If you want something beautiful and simple https://solus-project.com/
>>
>>57470966
why dont you sell art then

you don't need it to adhere to a standard if its just art + you can only sell art you like if you want

nah just kidding you're pretty stuck man
i think you need to realise that unless you make your own OS or accept that ubuntu is the only standardised, noob-ready distro then you'd be better off hawking pretty crap instead of 'beautiful desktops'
>>
>>57471987
>accept that ubuntu is the only standardised, noob-ready distro

mint as well
>>
Godspeed Anon, Godspeed
>>
File: 1470816072546.gif (295KB, 700x704px) Image search: [Google]
1470816072546.gif
295KB, 700x704px
>If I really wanted money I'd just get it through less than legal means. Only reason I run a business is I don't know what the fuck else to do with my life.
>>
>>57470347
You can spin your own distro with Arch (Apricity or Manjaro) with your own themes and icons, OP.
SUSE Linux has it as well but not to that extent.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-create-your-own-manjaro-spin-with-manjaro-tools/1355
/thread
>>
>>57473481
and delete all your themes and put your own theme in /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons

done
>>
>>57470347
>arch Linux
On consumer computers? You're ready to go out of business, aren't you....

No average user wants to use Arch. It's a massive pain in the ass to do simple tasks.
>>
File: Cr7lrUyUAAANQxf.jpg (134KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
Cr7lrUyUAAANQxf.jpg
134KB, 1200x750px
A few of the Anons in this thread made some good points, but in general I do agree that putting Linux on the computers you sell is a generally 'good' thing to do, especially if the customers are more than happy to comply.

Like that other Anon said, money is just paper being thrown around in a system. Don't throw it towards Microsoft.

Now, on to the facts. Arch is one of the worst distributions you could give to a person who would just have willingly used Windows had you sold it pre-installed. You want something that is stable, bug-free, has great hardware support, and looks great (in your opinion, that seems to be like macOS) out of the box.

Your *only* option is elementaryOS. It's perfect for your needs. Based on Ubuntu, with their custom Pantheon DE. It's everything you need.

You're doing good, OP.

https://elementary.io

They're kinda greedy, so just click the 'custom' box and type in $0 to download it without paying. It's free and open source, obviously, but they follow in Apple's footsteps both in design and money-grubbing.

Pic related is eOS.
>>
>>57470347
>arch
>not debain
Its like you want them to have problems
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.