[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo /g/, I tried asking /mu/ this, but I was redirected here.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: dude I love bionicles.jpg (20KB, 468x375px) Image search: [Google]
dude I love bionicles.jpg
20KB, 468x375px
Yo /g/, I tried asking /mu/ this, but I was redirected here.

I'm a singer and I've only ever played live gigs, but I wanted to start recording my own material. Simple things for now such as youtube covers and colabs, eventually composing my own stuff when I have more time. I wanted to buy a microphone, but I'm not quite sure what to buy.

I had a look around and Yeti microphones are meant to be solid, decent price microphones. I don't mind shelling out a bit more for higher quality, but I was not wishing to exceed around 300 GBP (hopefully not over 200). Could you give me some advice? I'm not surw what to get

Thanks a lot friends.
>>
Audio Technica'ss boom mics

Yeti's are a meme
>>
>>57469529

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/wired_mics/mics_by_type.pl?product_type=Microphones%3A+Shotgun&lang=eng

you talking about these? They all look pretty expensive my dude... Maybe if I convert it to GBP it won't turn out to be so expensive.
>>
Yeti microphones are a waste of money.
If you want to buy a good equipment you might want to buy a good audio card for your computer (around 110£) and a quality microphone for about 50-60£. Of you want to cheapskate it, look up USB brehibger microphones. You could g away with spending about 60£
>>
>>57469517
Shure SM57. It's an industry standard and a great beginners mic, especially if you have used them live before (as I guarantee you have). You'll already be used to your voice through them. If you're paying more than 150 pounds for a new one you're a sucker.
>>
>>57469547
you can go alot cheaper and still get way better quality then yeti's

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/6dc0904d195f995e/index.html
>>
>>57469548

I unfortunately only have a (pretty decent overall but not for this purpose) laptop and I'm not about to dismantle it to mess around with internal components, but I was going to build a new desktop this June anyways, so I'll keep the audio card in mind, thanks dude.

>>57469568
Yeah, I think I used that in a studio a few times, actually. It wasn't bad, iirc.

>>57469576

That's pretty damn good, price-wise.

Thanks, I'm taking all this advice on board.
>>
AT or Shure, hands down. Fuck the meme mic's, you'll never see one in a studio for damn good reason, and if you do (and it's being used for anything other than sound reinforcement to add some different colour to the mix) you need to 360 right the fuck out of there. Play with the pro-tier shit at home if you can and you'll be +1 when you get into the studio. Even second hand AT/Shure condensers are usually a good deal, the capsules are solid as fuck by design, there's not much to break.

What's your vocal style?
>>
>>57469637

Clean voice, Bass-baritone, been described as "like a 40's singer" but I sing a variety of things. 2.5 octave range. I like show tunes, different subgenres of rock, some more esoteric things... I don't really have a "signature" style, but that's what my voice sounds like. I'd vocaroo a sample, but that's the point: shitty inbuilt lappy mic.
>>
>>57469598
Oh I was talking about external audio cards. The internal ones are not nearly as good and versatile. Look thomann website. The red ones are amazing :)
>>
File: shr-sm7b_2.jpg (90KB, 1215x984px) Image search: [Google]
shr-sm7b_2.jpg
90KB, 1215x984px
>>57469677
Nah, I catch what you're pitching. SM58 all day every day, if you can find a kidney to shift you could stretch to the Shure SM7B which is creamy as fuck behind a baritone and will reinforce that creamy style it sounds like you're into. You're next steps are Neumann "u" series mics, but that's a full crate of kidneys kinda price range right there..

I should be clear, I mentioned the SM57 above initially, but this is an instrument mic, when you go look at pics of each, you'll see the 58 has a ball head with built in plosive filter while the 57 is largely open grill.

As always, hop into a vox box (a lot of bigger pro a/v outlets have them for A/B mic comparisons) and see what represents your voice best. Happy hunting!
>>
File: hee hee.png (219KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hee hee.png
219KB, 640x480px
>>57469762

Thanks, I do have a generally "creamy" voice, so this sounds ideal. I'm gonna screenshot this post and I'll keep what you said in mind. Appreciate the help <3
>>
SM58
Spend the rest on some kind of audio treatment, assuming you have everything else you need.
>>
>>57469798
>>57469762

For now, SM58 it is. It'll do the job and I've heard samples of recordings with it and it sounds quite decent, actually. All I need now Is to buy a stand and I'm all set, thanks guys.

>>57469798
I don't have my own place yet (I'm a university student sharing a house we rented out with friends) but I'll take this into account.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (406KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
406KB, 3000x2250px
>>57469762
>You're
Embarrassing

>>57469786
No worries anon, I lurk /diy/ primarily and we have some pretty decent greybeards slider jocks over there as well. Come by anytime. If I see the cap posted I'll be sure to swing past.

>>57469798
Also this. Not a major concern for a baritone as bass doesn't reflect as much as treble, but considering how easily one can diy up a freestanding booth like pic related (or even treat a cupboard if you have clear enough wall area) you'd be a mug not to.
>>
>>57469822
And, before I shut up, it is amazing that you did not get this out of /mu/. I spent a few months there when it opened but it wasn't my thing, but there are lots of producers over there, surprised you got bounced here of all places. Meh.

>>57469817
Nice one.
>>
>>57469822

Good point. I've never tried DIY before, maybe I'll swing by. My dad is good with that sorta stuff so it'd be nice if we worked on somethin together. Thanks for the help anon!

>>57469829
idk man, /mu/ was like "use /mu/ to discuss music, /g/ will know about this stuff better than we do"
>>
>>57469568
This. Yeti's are youtuber memes, get a real microphone and a real interface that'll allow you more flexibility in the future.
>>
>>57469834
Should've asked in /prod/ to be fair. Although I imagine they get the same question 20 times a day considering how often it's bought up here.
>>
Listen OP never buy a USB mic over £30. They are all shit.

Buy a real mic and buy an audio interface and it will sound a billion times better.

You can get this for not much more than a Yeti

>sm58 everyones favourite starter mic or something equiv
>second hand audio interface from ebay

Later on just buy better equip when you have more money and you're more comfortable with the set up and what you need

You can literally youtube videos on what you need to set up for basic recording it's literally 2-3 items depending.
>>
>>57469568
Sm58 is for vocals
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.