[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get the systemd hate. Especially "it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: flyingwitch (1).jpg (487KB, 651x1126px) Image search: [Google]
flyingwitch (1).jpg
487KB, 651x1126px
I don't get the systemd hate. Especially "it's not the UNIX way" part and I fail to see the logic in not wanting a unified init.

Do people really hate systemd because it'll eventually kill distros (or turn them into config files)? What is the underlying reason for this amount of butthurt?
>>
This looks like bait, but on the off chance it's not:

- Bloat. Systemd is bleeding all over the system of Linux, even encroaching on the kernel.
- Compliance. Systemd breaks Posix compliance. This isn't a huge deal if you don't agree with Posix, but you need to mitigate the detriment of not having such a strong standard.
- Security. Homogeneity and feature creep make potential bugs not only more likely to exist, but make the exploitation of these bugs catastrophic.
>>
File: attack_the_block.gif (98KB, 640x180px) Image search: [Google]
attack_the_block.gif
98KB, 640x180px
>>57467675
I like systemd just fine. It works better than the bug ridden collection of ancient shell scripts we had before. It's easy to write a service file to start daemons at boot and automatically get features like auto-restarting crashed processes. You don't need 100 lines of boilerplate like in an init script.

People who don't like it are either (1) old and opposed to any change, or (2) easily influenced by propaganda. Obviously the people doing the actual development work like systemd, or they wouldn't have integrated it into our distros.
>>
>>57467772
FUCKING SOLUS SHILLS GTFO
>>
File: 2016-11-11-005244_247x24_scrot.png (2KB, 247x24px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-11-005244_247x24_scrot.png
2KB, 247x24px
pic related are 3 of my favourite use flags
>>
File: 1465512658573.png (195KB, 508x514px) Image search: [Google]
1465512658573.png
195KB, 508x514px
>>57467675
>tfw chinatsu will never be your daughter
>>
>>57467675

Hating what's popular makes you special, and if it's something involving technology it makes you knowledgeable. No matter what it is, just say that it's shit and you'll feel like a tech guru soon enough.
>>
Because it does more than one thing at once. The Unix philosophy protects traditional Unix values
>>
>>57468218
what font does this gentooman use
>>
>>57469012
Not really, what's popular is rarely the best option
>>
>>57471001
hermit
>>
>>57467675
It's about choice.

The problem isn't systemd, the problem is arbitrary pieces of software depending on it for no good reason.
>>
>>57469001
>tfw chinatsu will never be your cumdumpster
>>
File: lennart.jpg (230KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
lennart.jpg
230KB, 1024x1024px
This is why.

Lennart Poettering.

If anyone else had done the exact same thing, it wouldn't have gotten nearly the shit that it did.

Partly that's because people hate him. Partly that's because people perceive what he's doing to be making mainstream Linux into a 'one true way' monoculture that benefits Red Hat, and systemd as a means unto that end.

I actually like systemd, but I understand why, because Lennart really is the kind of total cunt that gives open source a bad name, like the legendary NSA/Goldman Sachs employee Ulrich Drepper.
>>
Too much danger of depending on it and the developers can come out with a hidden agenda to make RedHat and a few selected companies to control over a cascade of dependency which you can't escape if they decide to put a backdoor in the end.

TL;DR: is a vendor lock-in nightmare in the coming.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.