[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Powerline adapters with Wifi worth it? Have my router connected

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

Are Powerline adapters with Wifi worth it?

Have my router connected in the spare room and my TV and other shit in the livingroom at the other side of the house

Speed drops from 80Mb to around 10Mb over regular Wifi (tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz)

Would buying a Powerline adapter with Wifi make this better or should I just go for a regular Wifi booster plugged in somewhere in the middle of the house

House was build in 1970 so no fucking idea how decent this would be
>>
Also does the Wifi function just create a new hotspot right at the adapter or is it trying to create one from the signal directly from the router to where the adapter is placed?
>>
Powerline adapters have worked well for me, all the regular Wi-Fi boosters I've used have never worked reliably.

One thing worth checking is whether your entire house is wired up on one circuit. My parent's house was built over 200 years ago and the upstairs wiring was on a different circuit to the downstairs wiring (so the powerline adapters wouldn't work there). Although pretty much every house built within the last 50 years shouldn't have this issue.
>>
>>57465091

Yeah mines is a flat all on the same circuit ring, recently had my entire fuse box rewired

So does it basically create a brand new Wifi signal rather than it trying to make a hotspot out of the already poor signal where the adapter will be placed?
>>
They work for me, but some people have said it fucks up HF radio (if you even care). I've used it in a house built in the 60's with aluminum wiring and it worked fine. I guess if you're European with pre WW2 wiring it might be bad.
>>
>>57465176
It creates a full-strength access point wherever you plug it in. A lot of them also come with ethernet ports on the transmitting end so you can use it to get a cable connection too.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-11_02-51-56.png (9KB, 508x112px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-11_02-51-56.png
9KB, 508x112px
I'm connected to it now. Works OK for me.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-11_02-54-45.png (10KB, 504x107px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-11_02-54-45.png
10KB, 504x107px
>>57465560
OK, so the wall wifi adapter is ~3m away from me behind a wall in the room next to me.

I connected to my Linksys wifi router that is directly below me, around 3m away and through a floor.

Pic related are the results.

So there's a 10mbps difference in download, while there isn't much of a difference in upload.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.