[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how -to-merge-folders-on-mac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/
>The Finder on Mac OS X isn’t so smart. By default, it just offers two options — Stop or Replace. Stop doesn’t do anything, while Replace replaces the old folder with the new folder.
But wait!
>Mac OS X 10.7 Lion — released in 2011 — added a hidden Merge option. To access it, you have to hold down the Option key as you drag-and-drop a folder into the same location.
>Problems arise when you have files with the same name in each folder. Mac OS X will offer one option to help you manage this — a “Keep Newer” button that overwrites the older versions of the all files with the same name with the newer ones. There’s no way to skip these conflicts or keep the older files, and there’s no helpful tool that will let you compare sizes and other information. It’s all-or-nothing.

>Perhaps the Merge option is so well hidden because it doesn’t work very well. It’s kind of embarrassing.

This hasn't been fixed in macOS Sierra, I tested it today. Every Windows since XP at the very least had this. Every Linux file manager since for-fucking-ever had this. What kind of a rinky-dink OS in 2016 can't properly merge a folder?
>>
It's not about that it doesn't have it, it doesn't have it *on purpose*.

This is apple's solution to problems. They just chop the functionality out. You are forced to be as retarded as the lowest common denominator that they found. Windows 10 is doing the same thing when you come from 7, just not as extreme.

Only the computer and software fields are like this. Nothing else.

>Ummm I can't figure out how this car works, dumb it down just for me!
>No. Fuck off.
>Ummm I can't figure out how these power tools work. Only have one use per tool so I can figure it out.
>No. Fuck off.
>Ummm I can't figure out this software! Make it so it only has 1-2 functions tops.
>We shall do so.

there is such a bad thing as too much ease of use because then you breed an entire psuedo ecosystem of shits like this who when running into just a tiny little barrier, they don't look it up, give up, and start screaming. Everything has to be one or two buttons. Having three buttons is not an option.
>>
Just use the command line retard
>>
ever since they switched to base10 for filesizes in finder I can take that OS serious anymore.
>>
>>57462475
What happened to muh UI design? Hm?
>>
>>57462484
CAN'T.
derp.
>>
>>57462459
>Ummm I can't figure out this software! Make it so it only has 1-2 functions tops.
If only we had that.
>>
>>57462459
If you don't pander you lose. Software is a lot easier to develop and ship than a car or power tool is, if you don't pander software for people someone else will
>>
>>57462577
But has anyone ever been confused by the merge option in Windows? Has anyone ever thought "ugh why doesn't this just delete all my stuff by default instead making sense"?
>>
File: 1451652614777.jpg (213KB, 489x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451652614777.jpg
213KB, 489x500px
>>57462408
MACTARDS

ALWAYS

CÙCKED
>>
Finder will error out on large transfers over network as well.

Just use the terminal you dumb fuck.
>>
>>57462484
>I can't take an is that follows standards seriously

You realize how retarded this makes you sound right?
>>
>>57464389
>all standards make sense
Quoting you: "You realize how retarded this makes you sound right?"
>>
>>57462408
Why are you still pushing this meme when I proved that it's not a real behavior on several occasions?
>>
>>57464441
Are you literally calling the metric system nonsensical?
>>
>>57464466
Strawman, typical macfag non-argument. The metric system uses base 10, does not mean any criticism of a system using base 10 is a criticism of the metric system. Computers use memory blocks organized in powers of 2, not 10.

>>57464446
>it's not real!
>just sometimes!
Go ahead and post proof.
>>
>>57464446
On Linux it's not a problem on any occasiom ;) #justwerks
>>
>>57464685
Nah, you've seen the proof. I never said it happens sometimes. I cannot replicate this bug, period.
>>
>>57464811
>I can't post proof of my claims, but we both know I'm right!
>btw it's a bug even though it checks out with Apple's own documentation
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22185?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Better luck next time!
>>
MACTARDS

ALWAYS

CÙCKED
>>
>>57462408
How the fuck do people use MacOS?

Jesus christ what a pos

I knew nu mac was bad but this is fucking retarded
>>
>>57464685
Using metric prefixes in a non-metric manor isn't very clever.
It's very similar to calling the foot a 'kiloinch'.

Using a 2^x number system is fine, but calling 1024 kilo or mega isn't. It really should use its own prefix, like the already standard kibi or mebi.
>>
>>57462459
>Ummm I can't figure out how this car works, dumb it down just for me!
>Ummm I can't figure out how these power tools work. Only have one use per tool so I can figure it out.
That's literally how power-tools and cars work though.

What kind of alternate universe do you live in where software is actually well designed and intended to be used for a single purpose instead of built out of a shell of a web-browser with email functionality and a hand-rolled config file parser, holy shit man. I hope this is a parody post.
>>
ayylmao
>>
>>57465347
>I knew nu mac was bad
It does have a system-wide spelling checker.
>>
>>57465553
>I hope this is a parody post.
Nope. It's a poorly thought-out troll.
Hard to tell, isn't it?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.