[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to Windows Phone? Did it just never attract enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Windows_Phone_logo[1].png (117KB, 7092x1667px) Image search: [Google]
Windows_Phone_logo[1].png
117KB, 7092x1667px
What happened to Windows Phone? Did it just never attract enough devs to make it viable, or was something else at work? The hardware/software was pretty good, especially on the budget end.

And is it true Microsoft is basically washing their hands of the whole thing?
>>
No one?
>>
The camaras were very good IMO. I think there were just no devs for it to get it moving.
>>
>>57459909
>Did it just never attract enough devs to make it viable
Pretty much this.
>was something else at work?
Google refusing to have anything to do with the platform didn't help. There was also the whole thing with the Microsoft YouTube app.
>>
They tried to reinvent the wheel as per anything else Microsoft does, it failed because they entered the market too late to gain any actual market share, so devs didn't bother making apps and the ecosystem because outdated and stagnant.
>>
>>57461120

I like what they did with the OS. It's refreshing compared to IOS or Android.
>>
>>57459909
when windows phone came out everyone was already using android and iOS
>>
File: CkH3YRqUUAA3h1B.jpg (39KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
CkH3YRqUUAA3h1B.jpg
39KB, 600x726px
I had a Lumia 520. It was almost good. The apps were almost as polished as the official ones, and had almost the same features.

Then they shipped WP10, which was almost production-ready. The system never left this "almost" state.
>>
>>57461620
I had a 520. Then a 635, then a 640. I love the 640 other than the app availability. It's a $20-40 phone with better specs than a typical $100+ Android phone.
>>
>>57459909
>entered the market too late
>never attracted enough devs
>no snapchat
>no gapps
>bing is just not as good
>cortana still not available globally
>too much focus on low end budget devices to build a poweruserbase
>last flagship was released over a year ago
>pulled the plug for consumers earlier this year
i actually liked WP, had a 925 and a 930, but microsoft never had the balls to boost it enough to compete with google and apple. switched to an 6P and never looked back.
>>
>>57459909
Too little too late. Poorly managed and not enough thought was put into a long term goal, it's why they keep rebranding and reinventing it. "Maybe this'll work this time!"

People just lost faith in it. Windows 10 Mobile will mostly be used for company phones. The closest analogue to Windows Phone would be the clusterfuck that is Google Hangouts/Duo/Allo/Messenger.
>>
>>57459909
Developers didn't support it so most people didn't want it. Pretty simple.

Also the UI is unintuitive.
>>
I probably would've looked into it if Square readers were supported in Windows. Bug they're not, so no use case for me.
>>
>>57463111

Nothing's supported in Windows Phone.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.