[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /g/ i'm thinking about majoring in computer science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: computer-science-banner.jpg (48KB, 764x324px) Image search: [Google]
computer-science-banner.jpg
48KB, 764x324px
hello /g/

i'm thinking about majoring in computer science and I just wanted to know what to expect

will it be hard ?
>>
>>57442031
only if your ass isn't loose
>>
>>57442031
Depends. I'm a college junior doing CS. What do you consider hard?
>>
>>57442193
well back in high school I was never really good at math
>>
>>57442260
We know, Anon.
>>
>>57442031
I'm not OP but I was wondering the same thing... I always was shit at physics but math is somewhat okay... how much physics do you need for compsci?
>>
Average math bro here, below average even.

In grade 10 there was one fuck triggering me, which potentially contributed to my retardation. But, the point is I ended grade 10 with a 58 in math. At this point you split off between applied math (where the retards dropping it go) or academic (where the smart kids go). I chose academic, subsequently resulting in being called down to the guidance counsellor going "are you sure m8? You got a 58..."

Fuck that bitch, I ended up getting 70's the rest of the way through gr11, and gr12 functions and calc.

Now years later I have conquered calc 1-3, linear algebra, numerical analysis, image analysis, probability and statistics, discrete 1-2, graph theory. I have my CS degree and math minor.

I'm pretty retarded imo. If you use the internet you can learn anything. My goto guy was patrickJMT and occasionally Sal Khan.
>>
>>57442316
Some unis require it, so be aware of which program you go into.

>>57442260
You only really need discrete math, which is more theory than just rote algebra.
>>
File: Serious-fish-SpongeBob-MAYMAY.jpg (69KB, 536x509px) Image search: [Google]
Serious-fish-SpongeBob-MAYMAY.jpg
69KB, 536x509px
>>57442316
>physics
>compsci

there are shitloads of pajeets/code monkeys that dont have a clue about physics, even math.
obviously you want to stand out, so you have to understand algorithmic complexity by using math.
physics is only important in circuit design, simulation kind of memes
>>
>>57442031
If you are serious enough, it won't be.
Go for it.
>>
>>57442031
Depends on where you end up studying it.

At a good university it's basically one of these two alternatives:

A: It's basically an applied maths degree. Lot's of pure math, computing theory, algorithms, language theory and some actual programming strewn in here and there. If you suck at maths this will ether require you to up your game on that front or just suffer.

B: It's basically Computer Engineering (what I actually studied), which is a pretty good all-round degree with a whole lot of math, specially on the undergraduate level, but considerably more actual engineering with loads of programming and computer hardware courses.

At a bad university on the other hand it's basically just software engineering with a different title. It's pretty much all code monkey programming with next to no math and theory. It's great if you just want to code, less so if you want to be designing bigger systems and not just implementing other peoples' designs.
>>
>>57442031
Computer Science as undergraduate study is literally a formalized self study group. Everything taught there could be learned by yourself at home. Perhaps the only useful thing you'll learn there is implementation and choosing the language to work with, but with a bit of googling and website like this : http://www.wfplsiu.com/ and also shit tons of self-learning website, that too would be of no value. Should've gone into an engineering major like computer engineering or some shit.
>>
>>57442031
if you have a negative disposition for math, maybe
>>
>>57442316
>how much physics do you need for compsci?
None.
>>
>>57442031
if you are bad at arithmetic, don't worry about your math skills.
if 'bad at math' means conceptualizing patterns and quantities is hard for you, dont expect computer science to come naturally.
>>
>>57442031
>will it be hard?
Depends entirely on how good the school is and how good you are at math and programming.
>>
>>57442478
I don't know if you're still in this thread, but thank you for your answer. The order of academic math subjects and the recommendations for math (JMT and Khan) were helpful.
>>
>>57442260
One guy failing in a discreet class. He wants to make games. I doubt either of you will get a degree.
>>
What about cyber security
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.