[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of the surface 4? I mean if i have the money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 9

What does /g/ think of the surface 4?
I mean if i have the money for it why not right. Or is there something better
>>
File: 1475690932307.gif (1MB, 300x305px) Image search: [Google]
1475690932307.gif
1MB, 300x305px
Bump
>>
Also would it be a good linux pc
>>
>>57435983
it's ugly af senpai. I rather t420blazeit
>>
>>57436052
Yah no that shit looks gorgeous
>>
>>57436050
The keyboard doesn't work with linux out of the box
>>
>>57436071
it looks retarded, stay shilling pajeet
>>
>>57436128
Is there a way to get it to work
>>
It really depends on what you want. Do you want a tablet that can sometimes be a laptop? There is no right answer. I hear the XPS is a good laptop too.
>>
>>57436147
Yeah but it's more trouble than I care to go through.
>>
>>57435983
It's obsolete. We use the Surface Phone now.
>>
>>57435983
I'd get the surface book if you have the cash and don't need the super portablility. But the pro 4 is great too. Driver support for the pen is a bit iffy though. And it isn't always the greatest at detecting whether you want to use your hand or the pen when trying to write.
>>
>>57435983
The only way I could justify buying a surface is if I was a drawfag, otherwise just get a fucking laptop or a tablet.
>>
Had one, felt like a fag.. Sold it for more than i paid for it.
>>
>>57435983
Thought about getting a surface 3, but sprung for the thinkpad yoga 11e instead because linux support. Also I like these yoga stile convertibles better than detachables since I use them much more often as laptops than as tablets
>>
i don't understand who the target demographic for this is. if you're you're an artist, you're not going to want one because of n-trig and if you're not an artist, why not just get a normal laptop? the only use case i can see is for taking notes but at that price it doesn't seem justified.
>>
>>57438219
It's really good for when I want to get some work done outside the office, it's pretty much able to be used like it's a laptop
>>
>>57438579
why not just get a laptop?
>>
>>57438727
Because a surface is more readily portable
>>
>>57438219
Ntrig isn't that bad
>>
>>57438743
in what way?
>>
>>57438579
>It's really good for when I want to get some work done outside the office.

You sound shill as fuck.
>>
>>57438785
Smaller, lighter, battery lasts about as long as a macbooks

>>57438795
Right, I'm a shill

It's better than all the other tablet-type things that I tested for the things I want to do with it
>>
>>57438219
It's great for students. It's thin and light so it's easy to carry around. You can take notes during lectures. Digital notes are more convenient because you can easily switch colors, erase and rearrange stuff. Great for STEM where you have equations and graphs. You can do all your homework on it and it's just more convenient than writing on a college block where you have to turn the page instead of just writing on one huge page. Portrait mode is great for reading PDFs. With the Core-i CPUs and the nice keyboard it basically is a laptop so you can do all your serious work like with Visual Studio or Matlab on it too. It's just versatile. The 3:2 screen is amazing.
>>
>>57436028
THE BEST PART OF THAT GIF IS THE SETUP, WHEN YOU READ THE LABEL AT THE BEGINNING
>>
>>57438854
OP here nice. Im a student and this is exactly why i wanted to get one
>>
I have the SP3 and it's pretty much perfect. I'll upgrade to the SP5 when it comes out. The bets part was being able to use the accesories like new type covers and pens that came out for the SP4 on the SP3.
>>
SP1 here. Still going strong. No need to upgrade until it carks it. Having said that, I'm using Android in a VM more than Win10 host. Go figure
>>
File: bootery.png (327KB, 1440x2160px) Image search: [Google]
bootery.png
327KB, 1440x2160px
>>57438953
>>57438219
>>57438854
Love my Surface Pro 3
>>
>>57435983

Surface Pro 4 m3 128GB here.

Don't fall for this meme. I hate this fucking laptop so fucking much. And yes, it's a half-baked laptop - not a tablet or convertible or hybrid or whatever else. Its tablet functionality is non-existent. Nobody even needs a tablet really, especially this €1,100 """tablet""" that Micro$hit has conned me into buying.

It never fucking works properly. For the first nine months of owning it it was a toss up whether it would turn back on at all after you put it to sleep without a hard reset. It's bluescreened on me dozens of times. I've reinstalled Windows 10 three times on the recommendation of Microsoft Support. Updates often fail to install. Its battery life is like 2.5 hours (stats on their website are a complete lie). Its kickstand thing is wobbly. It's not grounded properly so the touchscreen/touchpad goes absolutely haywire if used on certain surfaces, e.g. every desk at my university's library. Its build quality is god awful in general. The keyboard randomly "disconnects" and "reconnects" with no rhyme or reaon to it. The auto-brightness is fucking retarded and anything above the "darker" setting eats battery. Windows 10 sucks balls and the app store is a fucking desert.

My brother has the Surface Book and hates it just as much.

I've spent the past year wishing I bought a MacBook or something like a normal person.

>tl;dr don't fall for microsoft's tricks
>>
>>57440309

>WiFi off
>0% brightness
>Battery Saver: On

You know, some of us actually like to use our laptops.
>>
>>57440412
Wifi is on, just not connected, as is blue tooth

And what else would you be doing on it when taking notes in a dark lecture hall?
>>
>>57440390
As a SP4 owner I have a hard time believing this
>>
>>57438854
Is it really good for engineers?
>>
>>57440585
Yes
>>
>>57440522
Compiling Gentoo and uploading your freetard Source code with the screen at max brightness obviously
>>
>>57440590
You are an engineering student or just pajeey shilling it?
>>
Depends on the specs you get and the purpose really (I know, I know, a non-answer). I would get the m3 version, but I hear conflicting reports on whether it can handle line drawing in Photoshop without lag. The i5 version would probably be better, but that includes a fan that apparently gets quite noisy.
>>
It's a tablet posing as a laptop and it can't sit in your lap. It would also get confused when I set my palm on the tablet while drawing with the stylus.
>>
>>57440613
nah I'm a med tag, see
>>57440309

But my buddy who also browses /g/ is a 4th year engineering student uses an SP4 after seeing me with my SP3

>>57440640
It can sit on my lap just fine and the captive screen turns off when it detects the stylus
>>
>>57440656
I'm sure you can set it set it in your lap but it's wobbly and restricts your movement especially in bed
>>
>>57440665
I use mine in bed all the time, pop off the keyboard to watch Chinese cartoons
>>
File: firefox_2016-11-08_09-29-31.png (331KB, 1715x689px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-11-08_09-29-31.png
331KB, 1715x689px
>>57435983
>Or is there something better
The Surface Book.

If I had a blank check, I'd be getting the Book today, but it's really fucking expensive.

Thing is, there's no equivalent to it.
>>
>>57440522

>actually using the pen to take notes
>actually using the pen for anything

Never been able to successfully do this. There's just too much of a delay and my handwriting comes out terrible on it. It's like the last half-stroke of every letter fails to register or something.

My point was that the battery life shown in your screenshot is pretty disingenuous because few people use their laptops that way.

>>57440539

As a SP4 owner, likewise. If I wasn't so damn poor I'd have bought something else by now.
>>
>>57440679
Microsoft have really taken a dump on any and all competition lately. That being said, I wouldn't buy a Surface Book *just* yet since the SP4 had its issues on release.
>>
SP5 when?

>>57440390
>m3
Found your issue.
>>
>>57440706
The Book has been out for over a year now.
>>
>>57440688
I mean it's a device aimed at students so I can see a decent number If people using it like that

And even if you slash the battery life in half it'll still last an entire work or school day and then some
>>
I have one, 256 GB, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i7e, model. I use it for art and whatever else when I don't want to be at my desk. It's ok, bit overpriced, but I haven't had any issues with it.
>>
>>57440729

I was a student till 2 months ago and I fucking hated it. Writing a thesis on the bloody thing was hell on earth.

Battery life never lasted me a full day of college, wherein I basically used OneNote 2016 and nothing else. I only had 6 hours of lectures per week and it still couldn't handle even that.

And it's not like I didn't try to use its meme features like """note-taking""" using the pen and OneNote, it just never came close to rivalling a pen and paper.

>>57440717

If I wanted to pay €1,500 for a fan blaring and my """tablet""" sounding like a helicopter taking off, I would've bought a Dell from circa 2005.
>>
>>57440788
>Writing a thesis
you idiot

And the fan never spins up unless you open Chrome
>>
>>57440788
Anon I don't think you know her to use a computer
>>
>>57440811

Writing a thesis is a piece of piss when your keyboard doesn't randomly disconnect and reconnect, when your can use your machine in your university's library without it losing all touchscreen and touchpad functionality and when you don't need to camp by a plug for the entire college day. If the SP4 actually worked as advertised, it would be fine.

>>57440827

>SP4
>computer

The Surface Pro 4 is a giant compromise, not a computer.
>>
>>57440920
I've never experienced any of these problems, you just got a lemon and hare to much sand in your vagina to get a new one
>>
>>57441042

These are all common problems throughout the Surface line. You're just too cucked by Microsoft to admit they're absolute pieces of shit.
>>
>>57441165
> Common problems
>literally first time hearing about them

My God you're a whiny little bitch
>>
>>57441165
Why don't you return it or sell it if you hate it so much?
I'm a different anon and I haven't had those issues, either.
>>
>>57441181

www.google.com

>>57441196

They wouldn't take it back. I gave up with Microsoft Support tbqh.
>>
>>57441264
My sister smashed her Surface and even she got it replaced

I don't think you know how to computer
>>
>>57441309

How does the ineptitude of Microsoft's customer service have any bearing on my ability to use a computer? Complete non-sequitur.

I don't think you know how to think.
>>
>>57441309
If he's the anon that posted he wished he got a macbook instead, he's just a memeing apple shill.

t. someone who doesn't have a surface or macbook.
>>
>>57441334
I take that back, you don't knew how to interact with people
>>
>>57441337
>t. someone who doesn't have a surface or macbook.
Then how does anything you say hold any bearing on this discussion?
>>
>>57436128
All I had to do was install a driver to get Ubuntu working with my Surface Pro 3.
>>
>>57441354
Because I have no stakes in either race, so me calling anon an apple shill isn't because I'm interested in defending Microsoft or the Surface, it's just a cold hard observable fact.
>>
>>57441349

I do, but all they ever say is fucking re-install Windows.

>>57441337

I said

>I've spent the past year wishing I bought a MacBook or something like a normal person.
>a MacBook or something

Mentioning a competitor's product in passing is not shilling.

>t. someone who doesn't have a surface or macbook.

I had a MacBook Air before this SP4. I declined to buy another after it kicked the bucket because of irritating Apple bullshit and those complaints still stand, but it doesn't make my current machine any less irritating.

Truth be told I don't know what I'd buy if I were in the market for a new machine now.
>>
>>57441414
>Can't use a Macbook
>Can't use a Surface either
Yup, you belong on /g/
>>
File: AZ8gQTX.jpg (64KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
AZ8gQTX.jpg
64KB, 1024x640px
>>57440611
kek
>>
>>57441444

Does "using" any particular computer require putting up with it not working as advertised? Don't be daft son. Improve your reading comprehension.
>>
>>57438967
Get a 4 or wait for the 5?
>>
>>57441492
you're the only one here having problems using computers
>>
>>57441498

I'd wait for the 6 tbqh. It's the kind of thing that could be great a few iterations down the line, but just isn't there yet.
>>
>>57440788
not that guy but I have the top tier i7 SP4 and the fan is still very quiet. Even when rendering stuff and the CPU is 100% for like an hour it's still quieter than most laptops.
>>
>>57441547
It's been good for 2 years now, the first 2 were when you were supposed to wait
>>
I use mine pretty much exclusively for drawing, and it's good for that. The keyboard is nice but I try to stay away from typing too much on it anyhow since mechanical boards have trained me to destroy.

I did have to return the first one I got because there's a fairly common issue with their SSDs that doesn't show many apparent signs at the start but will eventually render the whole thing useless. Just be sure to run chkdsk first thing if you do get one. Just return it if errors come up - none of the fixes suggested online worked when I tried it, and the MS store swapped it for a new one without any trouble.
>>
>>57441444

>basic design flaws
>you're just using it wrong!

Calm down Steve Jobs.
>>
>>57435983

All I do with a laptop is read email, visit websites, and watch some videos, I went with the Acer Chromebook R13 because it can do all of those as well as having touch screen to work with apps from the google app store.
>>
>>57441839
If you're the only one encountering these basic design flaws, chances are that you're using it wrong
>>
>>57435983
Not a replacement for laptops. Microsoft tablets do not have the appeal or iPad, has to do with design and marketing. Windows 10 is not an exciting platform for using apps.

iOS is superior in every way.
>>
>>57442000
Why would i use apps? Its a PC.
>>
>>57442000
>iOS is superior in every way.
lel
>>
>>57442029
It is a tablet with a detachable keyboard. Hence, it is a mobile device that runs apps.
>>
>>57442044
It is an x86_64 device that runs a full version of Windows
>>
>>57442044
>>57442107
btfo
>>
>>57435983
It doesn't run linux operating systems very well, so I wouldn't buy it.
That said, if you are a windows guy it looks pretty awesome as an ultrabook alternative. Maybe get a better keyboard than the shitty one that comes with the case. Price seems fair all things considered
>>
>>57435983
Get thinkpad you moron.
>>
>>57438854
I would imply shilling if I wasnt using one.
>>
>>57438579
Except if you want to use it on your lap, then you have to use it like a tablet.
>>
im typing from mine desu senpai

it's baller
>>
>>57445315
No you can use it on your lap just fine
>>
>>57436147
gentu
>>
>>57438219
I actually love drawing on my S3 because of how accurate the pen position is, great for line art. It sucks dogshit for writing though. Less lag than Wacom on my SP1.

>>57440640
I also tried out the iPad Pro for drawing and it has retarded palm-rejection, the way it works is that it automatically undo's your palm marks if it detects the pen shortly after. Surface just disables the touch digitizer when it detects the pen within 2cm from the screen.
>>
Is it better than a cintiq as a drawing tablet?
Are there programs to make it function like a drawing tablet?
>>
>>57446480
>Is it better than a cintiq as a drawing tablet?
No, there's no tilt or rotation on the pen. It's adequate for lineart, sketching and painting.

>Are there programs to make it function like a drawing tablet?
Yes, you can RDP into a more powerful computer and the pressure and position gets info sent. Or you can plug it into an external display (mirrored) and it acts like a normal tablet.
>>
I've been considering one, but the two usage situations that have been concerning me are in bed (on a soft, non-flat surface) and lap.
>>
>>57446505
Which one is more cost effective?
I've heard the response rate on the cintiq is somewhat slow compared to the standards these days, but it has tilt/rotation like you say
>>
>>57446579
>tilt/rotation
Meme shit like 2048 pressure levels
>>
>>57446579
Surface is more cost effective than a Cintiq. Yeah, Wacom has slightly more input lag compared to N-Trig.

If you're a professional, you would already have a Cintiq or Giant Intuos Pro at work, buying one for yourself is pure retardation and the "cheaper" small 13" ones suck balls.
>>
>>57435983
Can you install Linux on it?
>>
>>57447501
Read the thread
>>
File: 20161108_230120.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_230120.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Just copped mine last week from ebay.
Paid $680 used (it was owned by a girl who already had a mac as her everyday machine). It was basically new, not one scratch on the thing and even came with the keyboard which was a steal.

Great deal. Beautiful screen and performance. The keyboard is very impressive.
>>
>>57446459
>great for line art
>>
>>57448115
Doesn't happen when you draw properly. You're supposed to make quick and long strokes especially when doing line art.
>>
>>57448137
>it's a feature!
>you're holding it wrong!
sometimes you need to draw slow lines.
>>
I'm a STEM (engineering) student and want to buy something like the Surface Pro.

Is there a (viable) cheaper alternative in the ~500 price range?
>>
>>57438967
>The bets part was being able to use the accesories like new type covers and pens
I thought the new pens/nibs weren't compatible but now you have my attention.
>>
Can i install OS X on it ? It's time to retire my 5 years old MacBook Air ani i can't afford a rMBP

How's Thinkpad x260 ?
>>
>>57449133
no.
>>
Has anyone actually worked on it, you know, in the office? How's the performance?

I'm a web developer and I'm thinking about buying a new hardware for work. Right now I'm carrying my old heavy Lenovo with me, everyday, and it sucks as hell.

I was thinking about Macbook Pro, prices are similar to Surface Pro 4 in my country, but I don't know if I'll like the OS. Plus, I don't think I'd be using it outside work because of its form factor.

Now Surface Pro 4 - I'd carry it to work, plug a monitor and keyboard+mouse to it, and then unplug and use it as a tablet daily. Am I missing something here, or is it a fucking excellent hybrid produce/consume hardware?

The only concern I'm having is the performance, that's why I asked for it as a first thing. I don't know how the i5 and i7 versions would work with, for example, node.js running in the background.
>>
If I had a disposable income I'd like to have the upcoming SP5 to do some drawing. Can't justify it right now.
>>
get a cube i9
>>
>>57435983
>is there something better
Yea like Surface Book
>>
>>57449214
>talks about performance
>considers a macbook pro
anon pls.

Just buy a newer Dell XPS or a newer thinkpad if you're worried about performance, since they don't use an undervolted processor
>>
>>57449296
>undervolted processor
you mean SP4 or the Macbook?
>>
They're memes. The entire surface line is a meme.

Source: Had a book for about 6 months, the tablet/touchscreen is a gimmick. Save your money, buy a cheap t420 or x220, use the rest on a nice desktop or savings.
>>
Got a cube i7 book. How bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>57449178

What's the difference between the SP4 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10/12?
Other than computational strength
>>
>>57449540
One is a phone, the other is a computer
>>
>>57449540
SP4 has x86_64 processor, and Galaxy Note has ARM procesor.

In other words, SP4 has full desktop Windows 10 on it, which means it's a normal computer, while Galaxy is running Android and can run only Android apps (and not all of them)
>>
>>57435983
Had surface pro 3 for 3 days, returned it about week ago.
Fucking shit.
Fan is loud as fuck.
>>
I need a device (with a pen) on which I can alter pdfs (as in adding comments, drawing, whatever else I need for STEM, etc) which isn't shit, is there something useful for $300-500?
>>
>>57449597
>Fan is loud as fuck.
how are tablets with fans still a thing in the current year?
>>
>>57436128
Not sure about the 4, but the Surface Pro 3 does on a proper distro that isn't Ubuntu. Fedora, OpenSUSE and Arch all work well on the Pro 3. The only thing that doesn't work properly is wireless, which requires a restart to function after waking from sleep.
>>
>12.3 inch screen
When will this meme end? I'm not a baby, I can carry a 15" laptop.
>>
Is there a known release window for the Surface 5 yet?
>>
>>57448176
>sometimes you need to draw slow lines.
maybe if you can't draw
>>
>>57448176
You really don't. Slow stroke lines look like shits even on real pencil/pen and paper.
>>
>>57449615
Surface 3
>>
>>57449375
>get a used chinkpad instead
Can't Beleive I fell for that meme
>>
>>57438219
for people that don't stay inside on /g/ all day
it's really portable
>>
>>57449639
>not carrying a 27"" AIO
Pussy
>>
>>57450035
of course the logo has to be shown off at all times
>>
>>57450021
Agree. Only when moving the pencil very lightly can you use them. Sketch first, then pencil over it, then ink. Try throwing some low-density lines down first.
>>
Thanks,

What are the benefits compared to similar devices if I may ask?
>>
>>57450064
the hardware is really well made and microsoft is always updating them
>>
>>57450017
>>57450021
this is wrong. you'll usually adjust the speed of a line roughly in proportion with its length. for example, assuming no extreme foreshortening, you probably shouldn't be moving your pencil at the same speed when drawing the contour of a finger as you would when drawing the contour of a leg.
>>
>>57450217
but you should have already sketched the contours before inking over anyways
>>
>>57450271
it doesn't matter how complete and precise your construction is, you'll still need to slow down for shorter lines and start using less elbow/shoulder and more wrist.
>>
>>57450460
It's irrelevant in digital drawing since you can just zoom in-out anyway.
>>
>>57450483
you might feel the need to do that in some cases but you shouldn't be forced to do it because of a shoddy drawing tool, especially not one that costs this much.
>>
>>57450560
Why on earth wouldn't you use one of the most basic features of drawing on a computer?
>>
>>57450785
i almost never feel the need to zoom in except for extremely fine detail, i can't imagine being forced to do it to avoid jitter.
>>
>>57435983
Eve V.
>>
>>57438854
I would normally call you a Pajeet if I wasn't posting from one.
>>
>>57452041
Forgot the specs.
>>
>>57448054
did you use recuva to see if it had n00dz?
>>
>>57452132
That's nice but how's the build quality?
>>
>>57453478
Ape Glass(tm)
Metalman Mesh Technology(tm)
Reflection-buster Proprietary Coating Technology(tm)
>>
>>57435983
It's shit. The company I work for buys these in place of laptops for executives and they're nothing but problem. We wish they'd quit blowing money on these things and just start giving these people laptops again.
>>
>>57448137
>quick, long strokes
That's what she said
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.