[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get i3 windows stacking functionality with the benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
How do I get i3 windows stacking functionality with the benefits of running a lightweight desktop environment ?

I love the way I can switch between windows in i3, it certainly increases my productivity but not using a desktop environment comes with the downside of having to spend 30minutes playing around with scripts and applications everytime you need to change something about your set up.
The things I like about desktop environments are:
A centralized settings GUI.
Easy way to change display resolution / output.
An easy to use interface for my audio instead of messing around with pulse audio/pavucontrol.
Out of the box notifications.
Easy way to change my keyboard layout.

Basically I want a desktop environment like xfce with the stacking window system that i3 has because I'm actually a productive human being and I can't/want spend an hour configuring config files.

Which is my most viable option /g/?
>>
>Easy way to change display resolution / output.
lxrandr

>Out of the box notifications.
dunst

>Easy way to change my keyboard layout.
setxkbmap

>An easy to use interface for my audio instead of messing around with pulse audio/pavucontrol.
ponymixer/media key shortcuts
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-06_07-03-49.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-06_07-03-49.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>
>>57419242
I know I can do everything a DE does by using separate applications, but I want all that to work out of the box and I want a GUI for it because I don't want to have to remember where are all my config files located and have to change them every time I plug to it another monitor or something.
Basically a DE but with the way i3 manages windows. I've read about i3+gnome but it looks like that project has no maintainer.
>>
>>57419674
you can run XFCE-session without the desktop under i3. But, tbqh, it sounds like you're not experienced enough to use or maintain what you want.

I'd highly recommend trying the I3 within XFCE, if you're spooked about using the i3-gnome because the upstream maintainer wants to quit.
>>
>>57419293
We get it, you're proud of your near stock ncmpcpp config... post it in relevant threads.
>>
>>57419293
> Start bar icons and text all odd sizes. No real spacing.

The fuck do people put up with this second rate shit in the year of Steve Jobs 2016?
>>
>>57419026
easy, grab any distro based on XFCE and then just install i3. Run i3, you'll get notifications, power management and everything else from the xfce install. You seem to not know shit because you are just asking about out of the box simple solutions. If you are going to use i3 or any other tiling manager, you end up at least once doing a lot of fine tunning to get all the normal functions you would get with something like gnome or kde, and that requires to know which programs to get to handle that (for example, dunst to handle notifications or rofi to launch programs) and their proper config files.
Start there and see how it goes.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.