[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thanks guys, fell for the thinkpad meme a long time ago and now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 13708-b2_1024x1024.jpg (73KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
13708-b2_1024x1024.jpg
73KB, 1024x768px
Thanks guys, fell for the thinkpad meme a long time ago and now it has gone to the point my desktop is becoming useless for me, I don't do gaymen really anymore these days and just use my computer for general use.

Few months ago I bought a dock too for my thinkpad and now i just mostly use the thinkpad on dock if i want a big monitor + kb&mouse, my desktop gets any use rarely

Fuck you guys, might as well sell the desktop or something
>>
OK
>>
File: i_know_that_feel_bro.png (541KB, 1280x1112px) Image search: [Google]
i_know_that_feel_bro.png
541KB, 1280x1112px
>it has gone to the point my desktop is becoming useless for me
>>
What model do you have?
>>
>>57414119
I bought several large hard drives for my desktop and it now sits in my basement running freenas. I use it as a torrent box, file server, plex server. Drives are so cheap now, and it's easy to set up, might as well put that hardware to good use.
>>
>>57414351
T420s if you meant the ThinkPad
>>
>>57414119

Same here OP. For the rare occasions I want to gayme I left my desktop in my basement and use the steam streaming shit. Works alright, but then an hour later I realize when I stopped gayming.
>>
>>57415118
Does that streaming shit actually work fine? I remember just trying it quickly a long time ago and it had pretty big latency for me. If I can just stream my games from my desktop when I (rarely) want then holy fuck that would be great, wouldn't need to swap cables from the dock to the desktop.

Can I for example play CSGO fine with it, or will there be too much latency, as its really the only thing I play really if I happen to play something
>>
>>57414119
Was this docking station a good purchase OP? I consider buying one myself.
>>
Just run your desktop as a server. Put ssh/rdp on it.
>>
>>57415314
latency. it's more for casual gaming
>>
>>57415374
>>57415314
RTS's work pretty well with it

Just don't try FPS's or driving games.
>>
File: 2016-11-06-11:19.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-06-11:19.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>57415314
Shit yeah it works.

>>57415374
The latency is fine for FPS.
>>
>>57415358
For 20€ which I paid for it, I'd say yes, specifically if you do use external monitor and kb + mouse etc.

Its convenient to just press a button and it lifts from the dock and is a laptop again, and when I want to use it like a desktop machine I just drop it to the dock and close the lid and it works like a desktop machine and charges too at the same time, nothing connected to the laptop itself, just connected to the dock. Also it's nice to use the laptop display as a secondary screen sometimes
>>
>>57414193
>>57414119
i use mine as a home server now. it was never really a gaming pc tho.
>>
>>57415421
Hi pissphone
>>
>>57415421
I need to check it out again then, would be great if I could just do everything on the laptop instead of connecting the monitor, kb, mouse and headphones to the desktop when I want to just play 1-2 matches of CSGO

Does resolution matter, i use low 4:3 resolution on CSGO, not 1080p, so would it somehow improve the latency when im not playing on high resolution?
>>
>>57415465
What improves latency is using NVENC to encode and VAAPI hardware to decode.
>>
>>57415492
My GPU is a 600 series GeForce, so looks like it should be able to use NVENC if I understood correctly when I googled it

My T420s uses NVS 4200m while its docked, should it be able to decode it with VAAPI then or something?
>>
>>57415598
Yeah I'm pretty sure vaapi can use vdpau to decode.

I have my NVS 5300m turned off and just use the Intel decoding. Encoding is done on a 750 ti.
>>
>>57415598
Just turn on the diagnostic crap thats in my screenshot and it will list what its using, as long as both are hardware and nvidia/intel you should be golden.
>>
>>57415626
>5300m
there is no such a thing, fampai
>>
>>57415670
typo
>>
>>57414119
Wow that's a big dongle.
>>
>>57415626
I'd probably use Intel too but im stuck with NVIDIA Optimus due to DVI port being connected to the NVIDIA gpu apparently in the laptop, must use the NVIDIA one for that
>>
>>57415684
so... 5200 or 5400?
>>
>>57415695
But thanks for the tips, will definitely look at it when i have time for it
>>
>>57415712
No prob.
If vaapi isn't working properly and the client laptop is running Linux you may need to delete steams libva libraries so that it uses your system ones.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.