[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real talk /g/, why is America so behind Northern Europe technology-wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 22

File: pew.gif (3MB, 293x361px) Image search: [Google]
pew.gif
3MB, 293x361px
Real talk /g/,

why is America so behind Northern Europe technology-wise?

USA is like Africa, at least 20 years behind
>>
>>57413284
In what way?
>>
Poor people.
>>
>>57413284
Who is this symbolically suicidal slut?
>>
How so? A lot of innovation happens in the US. The internet is much faster in Eastern Europe.

>we still use cash how primitive lol
>>
There's faster internet in Valhalla. outside of that, what the hell do you mean?
>>
>>57413374
>The internet is much faster in Eastern Europe.
Big deal, you're living in a commie shithole. I rather live with freedom than degenerate communists.
>>
>>57413462
I'm not living there. I don't know how Northern Europe is more advanced than the US.
>>
>>57413284
Give us credit. We have a lot going on, like running the planet.
>>
No niggers to pay for.
>>
>>57413502
you spelled ruin wrong
>>
>>57413529
Americucks BTFO
>>
>>57413284
>Post is about Europe being ahead of USA
>Image is a Euroslut who can't get a real gun (guns are a technology), and instead pretends to make a gun out of her fingers.

Basically, it's the same thing as the homeless guy at the end of the street hitting a cardboard box and making 'boop beep boop' sounds with his mouth talking about how his technology is so much better than anyone else's.
>>
>>57413529
>>57413550
Fuck off cucks. We invented the internet.
>>
>>57413284
Dear OP,

Please give your post more context. In its current form it appears stupid and unanswerable.

That said I will do what I can to help you.

In most cases the US is ahead. However when people often ask this type of question they are referring to things like infrastructure, in this case it is most likely the Internet infrastructure.

It is actually a very simple issue of scale. Japan and European countries are small compared to the US, so it is much easier to build a new nation wide network. Less land to cover means less work and lower cost. This also relates to why some cites have such good systems while small remote towns may just be getting off dial-up. It took time and money to reach that small town, and doing so is not that attracted of an investment unless you live in the town which likely can't pay for such a large project.

The other thing is in the US our culture focuses more on the individual, so community projects like a new highway or Internet cable are not as liked politically. A rebuttal I have heard sometimes it "if you don't like it go build your own", however me building a replacement for the nation's information infrastructure is a bit out of my scope given my current finances and lifespan. Thus while we could all benefit from such a project, we are very reluctant to pay for such a project. This is always a problem, but not as much in more collective cultures that recognize how everyone is part of something bigger.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Anonymous
>>
>>57413604
But Europe invented the world wide web.
>>
>>57413284
Real talk why are Europeans so obsessed with making baseless assumptions?
>>
>>57413585
>Guns are a Technology
The best guns are Made in germany, austria and belgium
>>
>>57413624

WWW without TCP/IP is literally nothing.
>>
>>57413636

And Italy too (Benelli). But that doesn't change the fact that Americans actually own those things, whereas Euros only export them.
>>
>>57413636
too bad you're a bunch of cucks who've had their right to defend themselves taken away, only the all knowing and wise government is allowed things like guns or allowing muslim rapists to invade your countries.
>>
>>57413624
WWW being beneficial to humanity is a coinflip on a good day.
>>
>>57413636
>germany
I like HK, but they're far from flawless. Remember the melting trunnion on the G36?
>austria
Glock is good, but certainly nowhere near the best. I'd actually put HK up as making some of the bess mass production handguns.
>belgium
FN makes nothing that is really that good. They tried resting on their laurels after the FAL, which is ironic because the FAL was a design failure.
>>
>>57413284
We have Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, The Linux Foundation, HP, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, Dell, Tesla, SolarCity, etc.

What are you talking about? We're at the forefront of technology.
>>
>>57413663
I rather live on a country where the most legal weapon is a knife than a country where everyone can have a gun
>>
we're not. Not by any metric.

/thread and saged for uninteresting bait
>>
>>57413842
Cuck, more guns means less crime.
>>
>>57413842
Ladies and gents, the words of an absolute cuck.
>>
>>57413842
Gun bans criminalize responsible, law-abiding gun owners. Criminals can still buy guns over the dark web, whether it be Tor onion sites or I2P.
>>
>>57413835
Nothing from them is made in USA
>>
>>57413462
>commie shithole
Well memed, did you live there?
>>
>why is America so behind Northern Europe technology-wise?

Citation needed. You made the statement, so it's your burden to support it.
>>
>>57413869
Wrong!
>>
>>57413284
Because the cost to upgrade is too expensive, and because liberalcucks are more concerned about " cyberbullying " and deleting emails, they don't have money to focus on upgrading the aging American infrastructure of magnetic stripe credit cards, Windows XP ATM's, government shit on 8-inch floppy drives, etc. They should model their ideology and government off their northern neighbours. Maybe then they'll be a developed country.
>>
>>57413842
The "most legal weapon" in EU so far is a lorry. Frog Bowling is cheap, requires no permit, and yields many lulz.

If the sandnigs figure out the massive destruction a single person with a bit of knowledge can do with basic hand tools you'll be begging for Sharia law to keep order.

All Hadji has to do is remove simple hardware on rail lines, pipe lines and electrical transmission towers. Bonus for wrecking a train into a chemical or gas plant traversed by power lines. OK, that would cost an evening using Google Earth to find but even Arabs can read.

BTW the Swiss are superbly armed, but because they are white they don't cause much trouble. Don't take my word for it, the demographics are a matter of record.
>>
>>57413950
Only the criminals and police have the guns. Law abiding citizens are at mercy to noggers.
>>
>>57413886
So what?
>>
>>57413915
>they don't have money to focus on upgrading the aging American infrastructure of magnetic stripe credit cards, Windows XP ATM's
That has literally nothing to do with government, thankfully.
>>
>>57413869
Funny joke my dude
>>
>>57413886
What from them is made in Northern Europe?
>>
>>57414117
>t. white guilt liberal cuckold
>>
File: Untitled.png (78KB, 944x759px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
78KB, 944x759px
>>57413895
>>57414117
There's no overlap whatsoever between these lists.
>>
>>57414220
>Countries and cities with more blacks have higher murder rates
>>
>>57414220
This is silly.
>>
>>57414242
>statistics are silly

>>57414239
That's the statistic you're not allowed to say out loud
>>
>>57414263
Of course some /pol/ shithead is the one dumb enough to try to correlate the murder rate of a country with whether or not guns are easy to own. How does it feel to be that stupid?
>>
>>57414289
>Countries with blacks and hispanics have considerably higher murder than white countries
>hurr durr it's just a /pol/tard leaking, pay no attention to the logic.
>>
>>57414289
>more guns means less crime
>not true

>look, all these countries with massive gun ownership are relatively peaceful while the ones with few guns are murderous shitholes

>g-go back to /pol/ you retard
>>
I wonder what the correlation between murder rates and broadband internet access looks like.
>>
>One country vs manu countries

Nice one fag
>>
>>57414345
More like the correlation between suicide rates and broadband internet access.
Them finn mongols got gigabit lines and still shoot themselves, but romanians don't.
>>
File: bb.png (31KB, 522x670px) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
31KB, 522x670px
>>57414345
There's a very strong correlation here.

Also holy shit I wonder who the 78 people who have high-speed Internet in Liberia are? How does an ISP like that even work?
>>
>>57414307
>>57414320
Did you people graduate high school? You're euro faggots aren't you?
>>
>>57414385
They are probably people in or around the presidents compound.
>>
>>57414385

Maybe it just serves the ruling party elite? I dunno.

I would guess that broadband availability is a better proxy for a country's development status than gun ownership, and that development is more closely tied to fewer murders than gun ownership is. Swedes and Canadians own a bunch of guns too, but you don't see high murder rates there.

Gun ownership rates are not very strongly correlated with murder rates as far as I can tell.
>>
>>57414423
Not either of those two but you're acting like a retarded liberal senpai

At least they're producing numbers to support their point instead of just trash talking

If they're really that stupid it should be no issue for you to shoot them down using facts
>>
>>57413835
Only because these companies can cuck American govt when it comes to taxes.
>>
>>57413632
>assumptions
Tech in the land of the free
>only proper cell coverage in large cities
>shit tier internet speeds and getting megacucked
>having to pay extra to use your phone as a hotspot
>using cash

Sure you have the vast majority of the large tech companies. Just a shame they've outsourced manufacturing to China and support to India
>>
less focus on masculinity
>>
>>57413895
>>57414117
>>57413842
Go get raped by achmed bruh
>>
>>57414518
If you had 2 brain cells to rub together you'd realize that something like the murder rate has many factors and isn't directly correlated to any one aspect of a society. The correlation between civilian gun ownership and the murder rate of a country is weak at best.
>>
Yuropoors mad they don't live in the land of the free
>>
>>57414649
>The correlation between civilian gun ownership and the murder rate of a country is weak at best.
This shits on every gun control argument ever
>>
File: speeds.png (847KB, 2601x1509px) Image search: [Google]
speeds.png
847KB, 2601x1509px
>>57414599

Debunked easily.

Many US states BTFO the fastest Yuro nations.
>>
>>57414649
I-it's a coincidence goyim!

Y-you don't need the right to defend yourself.
>>
>>57414686
I'm in the defense industry and actively push for the repeal of all major gun control legislation in America, but I'm not stupid enough to believe that weapons = murder rate.
>>
File: bk.gif (194KB, 228x160px) Image search: [Google]
bk.gif
194KB, 228x160px
>>57413869
>americunts actually believe this
>>
>>57413284
There's a couple reasons for what you're asking. Europe pretty much did what the USA did, they paid their phone companies to expand their networks and data capacities to rural areas because americans love going out to the middle of nowhere to live then want the government to subsidise their rural existance and these are the same people who say get goverment out of our lives, anyway, so a lot of people live in the rural US and had no access to phone lines, electricity, water or sanitation.

Government freaks out and creates something called the Rural Utilities Commission way back when flyover country still mattered, basically its a set of a laws that mandates that power companies, water companies, phone companies and what ever other regulated utility companies (public or private) must bring you service to your property line with no added costs to the resident, and the government would pay for said installation to the property line, in exchange the government got things like "Lifeline services" which is a basic phone line that anyone who is poor qualifies for, this is what americucks been calling "obama phones" here recently.

What has happened since then, in particular with phone companies, is that they basically have subsidized entire companies infrastructure in some rural areas, and since phone businesses only make sense at scale, that left very small companies unable to compete, add to that the legal system of bribery of local officials on a county/city basis to be the only company allowed to operate that particular service. That is how you end up with a single cable company and a single phone company in a town/county sometimes huge parts of the state because they bribed the local officials. They don't like the word bribe by the way, they prefer "Exclusive Franchise Agreements".

So all that is how you end up with the system they have today where in the city where I live for example, in 2007 the best DSL available was 3Mbps through ATT for almost $70.
>>
>>57414797
Really the amount of niggers in an area is more indicative of crime rate.
>>
Because Americans are afraid of the word "regulation", although it would solve 99% of all problems in the country.
>>
>>57414841
Kill self
>>
>>57414846
Why are Europeans so self righteous? If you like how your country is run, good. Stay over there. Mind your own business.
>>
>>57414220
>Canada
>1/3 of the population has guns

What.
>>
>>57414891
Michael Moore was equally shocked
>>
>>57413284

Also, considering that it is a subsidy and not a matter of government take over the company, the company is free to basically do what they want, which is what they have done, they have been paid handsomely to have expanded and upgraded networks in rural USA to allow and provide more bandwidth most but not all, took that money and did nothing.

Keep in mind that in flyover country, population levels are very low and the density level is really low, so you're talking about going somewhere where the houses are spread out every quarter of a mile lets say, and wire them all up for high speed internet. You'd have to use miles of cable to wire up 25 homes vs going to a flyover town and with the same cable wiring up 100 homes or businesses. Take that same cable and go outside of flyover to a metropolitan area and you wire up thousands of homes and businesses.

You're a private company for profit, there's no fucking charity, they're going to improve metro area lines and leave flyovers alone with their 3mbps access for another 10 years if they can.

2/2
>>
>>57414682
>averages

Do you understand what that means? It means that if you have google fiber and my only available access is dial up, we average 50mbps between the two of us.

What I'd like to see is capacity accessible on a map. That's what yuros don't understand, because they can live in the middle of fucking nowhere and have high speed internet, and we don't, if you live in the boonies here there's virtually no access or very slow access. Their high speed bandwidth penetration in rural areas is much much higher than ours.
>>
>>57415042
Because their rural areas are tiny.
>>
File: s.png (31KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
s.png
31KB, 300x135px
>>57415042

>Their high speed bandwidth penetration in rural areas is much much higher than ours.

Except it isn't. Speed data proves it
>>
File: r.png (25KB, 294x130px) Image search: [Google]
r.png
25KB, 294x130px
>>57415075

Some more rural Yuro speeds.
>>
>>57415075
>>57415090

You're just proving my point. We got a house in West Virginia, our only option for high speed is satellite internet or verizon broadband. If I could have even 1mbps DSL/Cable I would be so happy.
>>
Cash is king

Do you really want a log of every purchase you've ever made?
>>
>>57415226
Getting infrastructure into the NRQZ is not the easiest task.
>>
>>57415090
>tfw last year had 2mb/s down
>Now have ~4mb/s
Fucking sicc
>>
>>57415316
It's not in NRQZ. It's twenty miles south of the second largest city in the state (Huntington) and our only options for high speed are Hughesnet or Verizon Wireless broadband. Over $60 for 5GB of bandwitdh.
>>
>>57413614
Someone fell hard for the bait
>>
>>57413640
And where would we be without http?
>>
>>57415410

Better off. Usenet and FTP pre-eternal-summer was a utopia compared to what we have now.
>>
The whole "Europe has faster internet" shit is a perpetuated meme.

>Yuropoor with 2Mbps connection
>>
>>57415429
Back then, you could have an actual conversation on the internet without some meme spewing faggot or shitposter ruining it.
>>
>>57413284
Africa is over 50 years behind, not 20. America is far behind society-wise as well.
>>
File: speedtest.png (176KB, 1200x338px) Image search: [Google]
speedtest.png
176KB, 1200x338px
>USA
>Small rural farming town 3 hours from large city

I cannot complain.
>>
>>57415487
That sounds remarkably idyllic anon. Good on you. Rural life = best life.
>>
>>57415442
Get a non-cuck ISP then. I'm paying 30€ for 100Mbps.
>>
File: google test .png (107KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
google test .png
107KB, 1366x768px
>>57415487
Where are you located.
>>
File: was google wrong.png (32KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
was google wrong.png
32KB, 300x135px
>>57415539
Funny, Speedtest tells me 13, google says 5.
>>
File: Produtos Banais.png (37KB, 465x640px) Image search: [Google]
Produtos Banais.png
37KB, 465x640px
>>57414815
A great post that encapsulates it even better then mine, yet the anon gets no replies.

Why is this?
If we don't reward good posts we will lose them.
>>
>>57415539
how do u do that
>>
>>57415561
Google has fewer and more sparsely located speed test servers. In San Diego, I get 110/12 on speedtest (it's connecting to a local server), 40/12 on Google (it's connecting to some server in Los Angeles).
>>
>>57415539

Eastern Washington State.

It's actually a 1Gbps connection but my cable modem is only 16 channel so it caps out around 600Mbps. I don't even use the 600Mbps to it's full capacity so no sense in buying a $150 32 channel modem to get the full 1Gbps.

>>57415509

It's awesome. I even have a tech job out here. I was born and raised in a major city, and would never go back.
>>
File: 1474568453907.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1474568453907.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>57415487
>37 ms
>12 mbps up

lmao
>>
>>57415594
please explain pic related
>>
>>57413886
exactly, they create all of the the technology that you use and pay europoors and other third-world folks like you to build it, so they're also providing jobs to the needy :^)
>>
>>57415597
I wrote speedtest on google search, it was first result above speedtest.net

>>57415594
Thanks, but that reply is probably more a sign of my autism than the want to have "real talk" from the rest of /g/
>>
>>57413284
Because waging war in Iraq brings more revenue to senators and CEOs than it is to set up a new land line. You already have yout 5mbps line for only $50 a month, what are you complaining for?
>>
>>57413343
yeah I don't get it either

northern europe's single greatest tech company, Nokia, was sold off and strip mined and now basically they have nothing

maybe Siemens but Siemens is fucked in the long term, they've been hiring rapefugees and overall all german product quality has declined as their country's gone into the shitter
>>
>>57415633
>Eastern Washington State.

Seriosuly? What the fuck dude, you can't compare washington state with flyover country. You are in one of the most populated areas in the entire country I don't care that you're 3 hours away from a city.
>>
>>57413624
>American man working with American computer uses American NextStep to make something that is even today American dominated, while sitting in Europe.

(((Europe))) didn't invent the WWW, that's just feelgoods from your socialist educators.

John Moses Browning moved to Belgium and invented firearms there, did "Europe" invent them?

Fucking shallow ass mother fucker.
>>
>>57415706

Not him, but while WA is a populated state, it's all on the coast. Once you're inland, it's pretty sparse. This distance from, say, Seattle to eastern WA is pretty close to the distance between the middle of Iowa and Chicago.
>>
>>57415678
>muh piracy
it's enough bandwidth anon

enough to run a whole University in the 1990s
>>
>>57415678
>paying over $10 for 5MBps
What are you talking about?
>>
>>57415787
you only get that rate if you're on welfare
>>
>>57414220
This is one of the most retarded comparisons I've ever seen on this site, congratulations.

Also that Montserrat statistic.
>>
File: pops.png (113KB, 350x390px) Image search: [Google]
pops.png
113KB, 350x390px
>>57415729
You can't compare, a state with 7million and one of the greatest economic outputs in the country population with a state with 4 million population with the ten poorest counties of the country.

You can't take rich states and put them on the same level in comparisons of infrastructure with the poorest states in the country. You can't compare east/west coasts with flyover country.

You're going to have much better resources in rural washington that you will in rural kentucky where I live.
>>
>>57415653
It is a neat visual tool for doing math, more commonly taught in Asia.

I thought one interesting post deserved another, even if it was off topic a bit.

Wish some showed me this back when I was in school. So many alternative teaching methods, yet my teacher all=ways picked the one that made no sense to me.

>>57415665
fair enough
>>
File: Produtos Banais noted.png (20KB, 465x640px) Image search: [Google]
Produtos Banais noted.png
20KB, 465x640px
>>57415665
>>57415909
forgot my explanation pic I just made

hope that helps
>>
>>57413284

>why is America so behind Northern Europe technology-wise?

What are you even on about?

Most european scientists leave for the US since they get a fuckload of money there because the money flows different there. It's called "brain drain", look it up..
>>
>>57415651
Most Euroshit plans are like that, anyway. I saw some Euro with 500/1.
>>
>>57415813
Kek, amerifats cucked by their ISPs. You get ten times that speed in Europe for $50 or less.
>>
>>57415992
If you pay for 1 Gbps you get 1000/500 at least

I have 4000/1000 and I live rural...
>>
>>57416165
>If you pay for 1 Gbps you get 1000/500 at least
Not everywhere is where you live. I've seen very few symmetrical connections on here and most are far worse than a 2:1 ratio.
>I have 4000/1000
Bullshit.
>>
File: 5777143162.png (31KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
5777143162.png
31KB, 300x135px
>>57416188
They offer 10 Gbit/s as well, but that's targetted towards small business owners
>>
>>57415706
>>57415877

I actually have faster internet speeds than most people in Western Washington except say metro Seattle or Bellevue. The federal government handed out a bunch of grants a few years ago to lay all new lines in our county. All those suburbs and stuff in Western Washington are still stuck with coaxial cable that was laid in the 70's and 80's. They can't push the same speeds across those old lines.
>>
>>57416263
So they provide you with 10Gbit equipment or what? That can't be cheap.
>>
File: 5777156276.png (31KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
5777156276.png
31KB, 300x135px
>>57416263
nice, I'll switching to symmetric 1Gbps soon. Right now I'm stuck with this.
>>
>>57416305
They run the fiber from the nearest AT station (not sure what the Amerifat term is) to your building, you purchase any other equipment.
>>
>>57413284
>real talk
More like real bait.

Get the fuck out.
>>
>>57416303
So are those new lines owned and operated by the city government or are they private? how much are you paying a month?
>>
>>57416366
Not particularly surprised. I can't imagine many sign up since 10Gbit gear is not cheap.
>>
>>57416419
Try running an IT business in 2016 without it.
>>
>>57416686
I don't know what that has to do with residential connections, so I guess you were just trying to look smart.
>>
>>57416883
And you tried being smart, but failed.

>>57416263
>small business owners

You're probably an American, so you don't even know how they lay fiber in the first place, do you?
>>
>>57417037
Is English your first language or is there some reason you're an incoherent retard?
>>
>>57413835
BTFO
>>
>>57416394

Private, but I do not know all the details. It was just in the news a few years back that the broadband company got a bunch of grants to run lines to residents in our county. I pay $70/month for unlimited data. You can get 1Gbps with a 2TB cap for $50/month.
>>
>>57418679
>traffic quotas
Ugh.
>>
>>57413624
No.... A Britt, at CERN invented the web. Which was an extension on a previous markup system known as gopher. It was basically, gopher plus images, to play with the fact his new NeXT box had an awesome GUI. And when I say awesome, it was a boxy, but functionally identical OSX, at a time when windows hadn't even released 3.11 yet.

Anyway, Europe as a whole did nothing to "invent" the web, other than occasionally try and defund the lab where it was invented.
>>
>>57415727
berners-lee is english you stupid fuck
>>
>>57415932
what is this method called?
>>
Whats the fastest ISP in the UK, any brits know the answer? Virgin is like 200/idk, BT is 79/20 haven't seen anything faster than that desu
>>
>>57414891
High suicide rating
>>
>>57413284
>Africa
>at least 20 years behind
Try 100
>>
File: favicon.png (1KB, 32x32px) Image search: [Google]
favicon.png
1KB, 32x32px
>>57415393
fuck you faggot, that was good discourse and we're all smarter for reading it, unlike your post which gave me cancer
>>
File: Selection_649.png (17KB, 781x120px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_649.png
17KB, 781x120px
>>57423970
>>
>>57413891
Not him but eastern europe is a shithole.
>>
>>57413284
Who is this fine lady?!
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.