[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OK, /g/. My dad wanted to get a new iMac for gaming. He�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (169KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
169KB, 1440x1080px
OK, /g/. My dad wanted to get a new iMac for gaming. He's a life-long Mac user, but I've finally been able to convince him that they are a ripoff and he wants me to build him a pc. I've never actually built a pc from scratch before (always got my brother's hand-me-down rig), so I could use some critiquing. Are these decent prices? Anything missing here? Is this a good combo of parts? Anything I should switch out? I assume I can just find a windows 10 key online for free rather than buying one, correct? I've gone with a 750w power supply because I'm going to give him my old 290x, which is much more power-hungry, and keep the 1070 for myself.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bcqsm8
>>
Also, picked up 3 sata cables and some thermal paste. I assume that is all I'll need as far as extras, correct?
>>
>>57406669
Just replace the heatsink with a AIO cooler and get rid of the meme hard drives and that meme SSD with a 2tb WD black and samsung evo 500gb and your good m8
>>
>>57406669
Also find a define r5 with the window
>>
meme hard drives? What is meme about them? I just want a reliable drive to store his data, another HDD for backup in raid, and then a small SSD for his system files. He only uses about 120gb on his current machine in total, so his storage needs aren't great. Can't really find any decent deals on larger, higher performance drives either. Know of any?
>>
>>57406669
>Long life a mac fagot.
Heres a guide on how to deal with your current situation.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7A19TPN_k
>>
>>57407251

I mean, he's 70 years old. I give him credit for being as good as he is with computers.
>>
>>57406669
Still a little confused why you need two drives, but you seem to have your reasons. Looks fine, I would prefer hgst, but whatever.
>>
>>57407932
Is this really for your 70 year old dad to "game"? Or are you convincing him to get a PC so you can use it to game? Also massive overkill with the PSU.
>>
>>57409053

I don't live with my dad. What PSU wattage should I get for a 290x and a 6600k? Tried the PSU calculator and got pretty close to 650 watts. Thought I'd bump it up to have a margin of safety and potential for upgrades.
>>
>>57407932
>he's 70 years old.
>for gaming.
Yeah, sure, your "dad" wanted all this.
>>
>>57409064
650w would be plenty, even with overclocking.
>>
>>57409071

He's always played vidya. I know this may shock you, but older people actually have hobbies. He also had a stroke, so he can't do a lot of the other things that he used to do. Vidya keeps him entertained.
>>
File: whenunut.png (205KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
whenunut.png
205KB, 360x640px
>>57406669
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qVMpr7

What do you guys think about my build?

In Canadia btw.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.