[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I use a macbook pro but I'm looking at changing to linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Unix_history-simple.svg.png (116KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Unix_history-simple.svg.png
116KB, 1024x683px
I use a macbook pro but I'm looking at changing to linux or BSD as part of my shift to a minimalist and low-cost lifestyle (planning for kids etc)

This image shows that linux isn't unix. Does that mean I'm fucked when I try to switch? What happens to my hdd's full of anime that are stored according to apple specs?
>>
>>57395155
http://lifehacker.com/5702815/the-complete-guide-to-sharing-your-data-across-multiple-operating-systems

Should work
>>
OpenBSD and FreeBSD are easy to use.
Apple's filesystem is known to be shit though, so you may have problems transferring it anywhere, really.
>kids
Just kill yourself, though.
>>
File: sweatingakari.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sweatingakari.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>57395283
Is there a problem with having two children?

>>57395273
Thanks.
>>
>>57395297
Yes, it means you're a Muslim.
>>
>>57395155
>planning for kids etc
But why? Does it mean you don't need a boy-waifu?
>linux isn't unix
Linux is a kernel of at least one UNIX operating system.
>What happens to my hdd's full of anime that are stored according to apple specs
You can expect it to be readable, but you can't be sure. Try a live-distribution to test whether they support your filesystem.
>>
>>57395347
Those are UNIX, not Unix.
>>
>>57395347
>Linux is a kernel of at least one UNIX operating system.
Why is there no line linking it in the image?
>>
>>57395353
If you want to hear that truth, your Unix has been dead from about the 5th edition.
>>57395389
What? You mean you searched through the strings of an (uncompressed) Linux image and didn't find "UNIX" or you want me to post a link to the proof of my claim?
>>
>>57395443
Dead from the fifth edition? But it was the seventh edition that was most popular.
>>
>>57395472
It wasn't pure. They started including code from BSD, Xenix, SunOS in the 4th edition.
>>
>>57395443
Why are linux and minix considered so separate in the OP image?
Is it because the image creator fucked up or they didn't have forebears?
>>
>>57395504
BSD didn't exist When Unix version 4 was out, retard.
>>
>>57395515
If I remember correctly, Minix was under a license that allowed only education use. Though, Linus acquired knowledge from reading the book and the listings in the book, Linux didn't share any code with Minix.
>>57395542
Well, I guess, you can call me 'retard' for knowing so many things, that I forgot trivial matters of history. However, I'm very content that my memory hasn't been wasted on it. What about you?
And for factual matters, yes, you're correct, since I've confused editions with versions of system v. Thompson installed the 4th edition Unix at berkeley in 1974. And yes, that makes the last 'true Unix' to be the 7th edition.
>>
>>57395645
No, the last Unix was 10th edition.
>>
>>57395321
>he hasn't grown up in family with bro or sis
Gee, I wonder why there's so many angry posters.
>>
>>57395657
Yes, I know this. Further versions wasn't 'true', because of code sharing and transfer of development to other body.
The point, that the last true Unix was the 7th edition, isn't mine - I've borrowed it from a historical introduction of a book on posix interface.
>>
>>57395689
I have a sister and two parents, and I dislike them since I'm not a religious fanatic like you.
>>
File: 1463436034479.jpg (55KB, 670x505px) Image search: [Google]
1463436034479.jpg
55KB, 670x505px
>>57395155
mactoddlerOS was never unix either
>>
File: Iseeyourhackinggnome.webm (888KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Iseeyourhackinggnome.webm
888KB, 720x404px
>>57395155
Don't be an autist OP.
OSX is quite comfy, especially if you've been using it for a while. That is why if you want to make that switch to *nix like/based system you should make it as painless as possible at the beginning.
Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mint are all good options for starters.

Regarding your anime stash, do yourself a favor and invest into NAS (Synology and QNAP are wel established trademarks, do google research to choose one in your price range). Also, some NAS models support BTRFS and ZFS.

I myself am a OSX user and currently in the process of switching to GNU/Linux as well, there are lots of great applications and tools I'm missing (little snitch, iterm2, divvy, etc...) but I'm sure I'll find an alternative to all of them sooner or later. That is why I've opted for moving to well-established distro (OpenSUSE) with well designed desktop environment (KDE5). Once I'm proficient enough I might move to something else. That is the beauty of open source, you can adjust things to your personal needs. But before you do that you should learn the basics and keep it simple enough to not be discouraged.

Just my advice, in the end you can do whatever DA FUUUUUUUCK YOU WANNA DOOO!!!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.