[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't OEMs just put stock firmware on their phones?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Fugly.jpg (163KB, 1007x595px) Image search: [Google]
Fugly.jpg
163KB, 1007x595px
Why don't OEMs just put stock firmware on their phones? Even from the company's POV they are cutting costs by not having to employ a large team of software devs. And they get software made by one of the largest corporations on the planet for free. Why not put all your resources into the hardware, stick with the aggressive pricing, and make a shit load of profit?
This frustrates me so much. I would love to buy these phones but skitty OEM skins are horrendous and the sole reason I'll never purchase their phones.
Most average folks (who aren't tech savvy) purchasing Android phones only ever talk about "cameras" or "screen quality" or "how fast it is." I don't think I've ever heard someone say they have purchased a LG phone for it's "LG UX", or a Xiaomi phone for it's "MIUI", or a Samsung phone for its "Touchwiz". Hell, most average folks don't even know what the ROMs are called.
Why not differentiate themselves in the market through their hardware and jaw dropping prices. I'm sure if they downsized their software dev team they could price the phones even lower which is good.
Ps. They would also be able to provide lightning fast updates if they use stock software.
What am I missing here? Why is every fucking OEM hell bent on doing a half arsed job of putting their shitty skin onto Android, butt fucking the ecosystem with fragmentation, and making it a pile of massive diseased rat shit?
You wanna add software features? Sure, throw them on a fucking app in the Playstore and give the user a choice on whether they want it or not! Do these fucking firms honestly think they can do a better job of making firmware than Google?
inb4 Rooting, Flashing, BOTNET and so on.
>>
retention. people who get used to touchwiz will end up buying touchwiz phones.
>>
>>57384112
quality shitpost
>>
its getting to the point where I wont buy a phone if it doesnt have CM support.
>>
>>57384129
>Retention
U wot. Touchwiz changes it's settings app every fucking generation and confuses the living fuck out of Sammy users. They are forced to find shit they knew in their old phone anyways. And they have been trying to reduce the bloat and make it light weight since a few iterations now. Why not just speed up the fucking process and use AOSP instead?
>>
>>57384167
I don't want to have to root and flash my phone man. I'm sure it's a straight forward process but why should I pay the company for the fucking software if I'm going to download a firmware made by Pajeet in Mumbai anyways? I want these fucking OEMs to get out of the delusion that their software is somehow the reason that sells their phones. It doesn't. The only app they should infact make is the camera app because Google's camera app is dog shit. But everything else is pointless and pulling Android behind.
>>
>>57384112

Jesus christ Anon. Format your fucking posts.

They do it to differentiate themselves. Racing to the bottom on price is not going to work when you're fighting Chinese companies. Phones are all pretty much same same at this point.

True or not OEMs think that their launcher is the differentiating feature.
>>
>>57384682
I think their hardware should be their differentiating factor and I believe companies also think that it is. Look at all the ads for any Android Flagship. It highlights their "beautiful phone design", "cutting edge camera technology", "fast charging" and what not. They don't dare to slap a screenshot of their doodle-tier skin that they know for a fact is a massive fucking joke. It's more like a formality at this point and this practice needs to fucking die a horrible death.

No windows manufacturer is going around anally molesting Windows with their own skin? And it's a pretty fucking healthy market as far as I can tell. Why can't these retarded Android OEMs understand this?
>>
>>57384112
>>57384741
Your IQ doesn't appear high so I'm not gonna bother.
>>
one of the rules from google to use android is that it has to be different from the others & stock.
>>
>>57384129
That hasn't been the case, though. It's been several years since the first TouchWiz phone and none of its users qualifies it as a feature they're looking for when buying a Samsung phone.
>>
>>57386011
I'm not him but you responding to a well asked question with an answer like that makes me think you can't come up with an answer and that you're the one with a low IQ
>>
Bad decisions by the marketing departments

They literally don't know what goes into a good phone
>>
>>57387693
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1rXqD6M614
>>
>>57384741
>I think their hardware should be their differentiating factor
Not every company is samsung and can afford R&D to make their own SoC.
>>
>>57388554
>SoC?
None of the Windows PC manufacturers make their own chips either bub. There is clearly a problem here which shouldn't exist.

Hardware design, camera + image processing, better optimized performance and battery life, more sensors, decent customer care, and faster updates are just some of the things the companies can compete on and establish their own brand without the need of resorting to a superfluous tramp stamp of a skin on stock Android.
As stated earlier any extra gimmics they wish to add can be slapped onto an app and made available to the users.
>>
>>57386011
quality argument
>>
>>57384112
People who buy phones want the "prettiest" UI, or an iphone.
>>
>>57388791
In what fucking timeline is an OEM skin made by any major firm better than Stock Android?
Another massive frustration is that regardless of what fucking phone you buy there's a decent chance that you'll end up using Google's apps for almost everything and it looks out of place all thanks to their shit-tier design only extending to phone applications. So in the end I'm left with half the shit in OEM's skin and half the apps in Material design.
>>
>>57388791
>People who buy phones want the "prettiest" UI,
They certainly bang on and on here about their Android phones being so customizable. You'd think the starting state of a customizable phone would be irrelevant.
>>
>>57388894
What are themes, skins and launchers, while you are so autistic about the UI design in fucking Android, THE ultra-customizable mobile OS?

Also, how the fuck do manufacturer-specific UIs cause fragmentation in an open source OS?
>>
>>57389410
You retarded mongoloid, skins/themes/launchers are superficial customizations and the OEM's version of the applications which come with the phone are still on the fucking phone even if you disable them.

The fact that they butt fuck the AOSP so hard that it is beyond recognition makes it a herculean task to update the firmware which is why they never bother updating the mid tier to low tier phones resulting in fragmentation.
>>
why not just download a launcher + icon pack and move on?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.