[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uh why do zip drives cost so much? I bought pic related unopened

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Capture.png (574KB, 1028x529px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
574KB, 1028x529px
Uh why do zip drives cost so much? I bought pic related unopened for $3 dollars at a thrift store, go on ebay to see how much they're selling for and see it's in the hundreds of dollars. Even bare units, not even the 750MB versions are like $60.

Also does anyone know if these things take normal floppies? It doesn't say anything on the box and that's the reason I needed it for in the first place.
>>
I had an external iomega zip drive: it does not take floppy diskettes.
>>
Probably because companies that are only buying them to maintain legacy machines dont really give a fuck and will pay whatever for it.

Not tech related, but I've personally seen companies do shit like hire a freight courier to deliver an envelope (with idk what the fuck inside) across the country for like $300, when they could have just used fedex for a fraction of that cost, just because they had an account set up and didn't want to bother doing the paperwork to set up another one. Corporations are always "trying to keep expenses down", but then literally light money on fire with no regard for sense or logic
>>
>>57379456
adding on to my original post; this is why if you can develop a business model that specifically caters to businesses (preferably large corporations), and make it as retard fuck easy for them (preferably a done deal with nothing more than a signed contract on their part), you can bajillions of dollars. Even something as simple as making phone calls and middle-manning to other contractors, companies will be willing to pay you ridiculous amounts of money for it, if you can pitch the idea well enough to secure the deal
>>
>>57379444
Yeah I was confused because the box says "3 drives in one" so I thought it would take normal floppies.
>>
>>57379441
>tfw i passed up on a crazy roi the other day at my saver's
Where were you then op?
>>
>>57379465

The hardest part is getting them to process the paperwork to write you a check. It takes a long fucking time, months to process that paperwork sometimes.
>>
>>57379441
>100MB For The Mulimedia Age
ah, back when multimedia included shitty 128k mp3's, 200K early digital camera photos, and CIF-sized, 30-second internet video clips
>>
File: a.png (123KB, 783x349px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
123KB, 783x349px
>>57379441
>does anyone know if these things take normal floppies?
no, i don't believe so

but regular floppy drives can be found easily

unless you already own a bunch of ZIP disks you need data off of, there's really no reason to get a ZIP drive anymore
>>
>>57379640
At value village, which is the canadian version savers. I'll be snapping up zip drives from now on.

>>57380028
I know but I was hoping for maybe improved read performance. Also dead/oddball media formats interest me.

I also checked wikipedia, the scsi zip drive versions are valued by the keyboard scene for some reason which adds to the value.
>>
>>57379441
Have you considered an LS-120 drive? Similar 120Mb disks, and those do support floppies.
>>
File: a.png (147KB, 879x375px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
147KB, 879x375px
>>57380174
>I was hoping for maybe improved read performance.
>>
File: Super_Disk_120MB_9116.jpg (211KB, 800x827px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Disk_120MB_9116.jpg
211KB, 800x827px
>>57380174
LS-120 drives can read floppies faster than a standard floppy drive..
>>
>>57379441
eBay sucks, we all know that
I go on my local site and there are ZIP drives for 5 bucks
>>
>>57379441
are they actually selling for that price though?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.