[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I create an application under the GPL license, how do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1460623005667.png (37KB, 1127x685px) Image search: [Google]
1460623005667.png
37KB, 1127x685px
If I create an application under the GPL license, how do I make money off of it?
>>
>>57374092
Customer support. Only paying customers can get official support, you're on your own if you get it for free. That's how redhat makes profit.
>>
>>57374092
Sell it.
>parted magic
>>
>>57374092
Doesn't it depend on the version of the GPL license? I think there are versions that allow you to sell the application regardless of whether it is originally free or not.

Actually, come to think of it, the terms of the GPL that Audacity uses allows for that. Of course, it'd be difficult to pull off because you aren't allowed to change the name.
>>
>>57374092
sell binaries
>>
>>57374092
You have to sell each copy for the total monetary price you would expect to make from the applications lifetime because 1 sale means you HAVE to give the source code to the buyer, which they are legally allowed to upload, recompile and share the binaries of FOR FREE with you seeing NOTHING.

Don't fall for the GPL meme, it is literally cancer thought up by a power hungry kike too cheap to buy a UNIX license that has gone on to con people in to working for him for free for over 30 years.
>>
>>57374130
Let's say I sell the application like the regular Windows proprietary applications with DRM, product registration, product key systems. I sell the binary package/installer, but I still have source code available if anyone wants it (costs money to ship/send it)

How does it keep one bad person from stealing my copyrighted source and using it in their application, selling a bootlegged version, or giving out a version of it out for free? They would have the full application to work with.
>>
>>57374256
>regular Windows proprietary applications with DRM, product registration, product key systems
Typo. Without DRM, product registration, or a product key system.
>>
The only way to sell GPL software is to sell binaries (look at the business model of Synergy) as well as providing enterprise level support. These are profitable methods of using GPL code to make a profit.

Look at RedHat, despite CentsOS (a RedHat Clone) existing. Because RedHat provides services and support that CentOS doesn't, they remain a profitable company. Same with SUSE (though less so, because RedHat is more used with enterprise.)
>>
>>57374214
If I expect to make $1 million in one year, that would mean I need to sell the source code for more than $1 million?

Does that mean I can still sell binaries and updates for more reasonable prices like less than $50?
>>
>>57374092
You can sell it even if you offer the source code. Some goyim are willing to pay for shit they could just download for free.

And there is always kickstarter, patreon, etc
>>
File: 1457119637176-1.jpg (91KB, 614x673px) Image search: [Google]
1457119637176-1.jpg
91KB, 614x673px
>>57374256
>How does it keep one bad person from stealing my copyrighted source and using it in their application, selling a bootlegged version, or giving out a version of it out for free? They would have the full application to work with.

This happens with RHEL and CentOS (as Oracle loonix too).
You can do 2 things:
>use GPLv2, so a patched compiler, and/or wacky scripts needed to compile the source, due to this your sauce isn't useful out of the box
>SaaS. This is the fancier thing and many server vendor do it, not just software houses.
>>
>>57374256
>How does it keep one bad person from stealing my copyrighted source and using it in their application, selling a bootlegged version, or giving out a version of it out for free? They would have the full application to work with.
Wix just got caught doing that, tune into the shitstorm it's causing.
>>
>>57374092
Make it so unusable it requires trained experts or extremely gifted autists to use properly. That way you can make money off consulting.

Pretty much every major open source solution works this way.
>>
>>57374092
the best way is to create a Foundation who develops the app, and hires you to do it.
foundation gets donors.
>>
File: 1474997279623.gif (1MB, 512x336px) Image search: [Google]
1474997279623.gif
1MB, 512x336px
>>57375178
tfw openstack is literally this
ayy
>>
>>57374256
Well besides being incredibly dishonest, they are bound to get caught, resulting in a hefty payout for you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.