[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C is one of the most popular and influential programming languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

C is one of the most popular and influential programming languages in the world. It is the language of choice for development on Linux, and has been used extensively in the creation of OS X and to some extent Microsoft Windows. It is used on micro-computers too. Your fridge and car probably run on it. In modern software development, the use of C may be escapable, but its legacy is not. Anyone wanting to make a career out of software development would be smart to learn C.

Is this true? I want to get into CS but a lot of friends told me C is a stupid language to start with.
>>
>>57366846
of course it's true, just look at TIOBE. C is consistently rank #1 or #2 with Java.

you're probably better learning something like Python before C, since C is quite unforgiving
>>
In C there's usually only one way to do a certain thing right. That's why some people I know seem to dislike it
>>
>>57366846
>I want to get into CS

I suggest you find a trade. Plumbing, roof tiling, etc.

Don't go the CS route unless you want to spend your life poor and lonely.
>>
>>57366846
>but its legacy is not
unfortunately that is true
OSes and compilers should be able to use a better ABI.
>>
>>57366846
It's true, but it's only useful for system development, or whenever optimisation is crucial. If performance isn't an issue (you want to make random software or gayms), then C++ would be the way to go. Although it's easy to move from C to C++. Python is another good language to start with, but don't get serious with it as it's only useful to "learn programming" and get the programming logic into your head.
>>
>>57366846
C's basically the no horse shit daddy of modern languages.

You get fancy manual memory management with good syntax and and stuff that applies to every other language, and it doesn't hold your hand.

You can learn plenty of stuff in java, but it distances you from the kind of practices that will make you an actual good programmer.
>>
>>57366846
>C is one of the most GARBAGE and REGRESSIVE programming languages in the world. EVEN G COULD HAVE DONE BETTER. It is the language of PLEBS THAT DONT KNOW BETTER for development on SHIT TIER KERNELS, and has been used extensively in the creation of HOMOSEX and to some extent WE CANT BUILD COMPILERS. It is used on COMPUTERS WITH TOO LITTLE RAM FOR CAPABLE COMPILERS too. Your WIDGET MADE BY MORONS and VEHICLE FROM A SECTOR THAT SHOULD KNOW BETTER probably run on it. In modern software development, the use of C IS ABSOLUTELY escapable, but its legacy is UNFORTUNATELY not, SERIOUSLY HINDERING PROGRESS IN COMPILERS. Anyone wanting to make a career out of software development would be smart to KILL MCFUCKING SELF.
ftfy
>>
>>57366961
>If performance isn't an issue (you want to make random software or gayms), then C++ would be the way to go.
Top kek, C++ produces smaller and faster binaries (with RTTI and exceptions disabled) than C and it still provides you with oop features suitable for large-scale software development.

source: I've spent 8 years writing for 64k embedded devices.
>>
>>57366846
C is the big daddy and is taught in 100% of CS degree curricula
>>
>>57367234
How so?
>>
>>57367342
mostly better compiler optimizations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSvjwJ2M80
>>
>>57366931
>tfw CS major
>300k starting

feels pretty good my man
>>
File: 1472891742922.jpg (25KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1472891742922.jpg
25KB, 536x536px
>>57367180
>C is too hard for my tiny nigger brain to comprehend
>>
>>57368010
It's good, but not likely you can be super rich or powerful, just a guy in the IT department.
>>
>>57367302
that's not true, it's not the point of a CS degree to teach progamming.
they usually only teach some fairly easy abstract language like Scheme or Java in the introduction courses
>>
>>57368010
Assuming you're being entirely truthful, yes I'm sure it does. It's also highly dependent on many things completely unrelated to CS, like your location and networking (in the social sense) skills. Dick sucking skills might also come in to play.

Where I live, you will absolutely earn more in a skilled trade. Fat Dave the plumber? £50k+. CS grad? £25k at best, and you'll be lucky to be making double that before you retire.

Maybe I should move.
>>
What are you trying to program? C is useless for web app development, which is the "future" of most consumer programs. It's essential non-practical for mobile and Windows development. Professionally, about the only time you'll be using C is in embedded development.

Go ahead and learn it for academic purposes if you want, though. It's not really that complex, anyways.
>>
>>57366846
For some reason people seem to have trouble understanding that programming languages are tools, not religions. Like anything else, you choose the right tool for a given job.

C is a good choice for writing an operating system, or for writing software for embedded systems where resources are very constrained. But most software is neither an operating system nor performance-critical, and many languages have features that make them better suited to specific applications than C.

C is a good language to know, but it's probably not the best choice for your first language. Right now Python is probably the best general purpose programming language for a beginner to learn, and it's widely used in science and industry. But any decent CS graduate will have exposure to a variety of programming languages, so don't get hung up on choosing the first one.
>>
>>57366931
>poor
IT-related careers are the best paid out there nowadays
>lonely
I've been lonely all my life
>>
>>57366862
Don't you need to be unforgiving in the beginning and then, when good habits are formed, be more relaxed? In general
>>
>>57368550
Depends on what you mean by unforgiving. I'd say the sooner you learn about good design practices and writing maintainable code, the better. Getting beat over the head by the syntactic quirks of a particular language is not so important. There's no value in making things unnecessarily difficult at the beginning.
>>
>>57368192
>C
>hard

It's called 'low quality'.
>>
>>57366846
don't start with a toy language like python or ruby. start with C.

>A most important, but also most elusive, aspect of any tool is its influence on the habits of those who train themselves in its use. If the tool is a programming language this influence is, whether we like it or not, an influence on our thinking habits.... A programming language is a tool that has profound influence on our thinking habits.
>Edsger W.Dijkstra

read these shits before starting
https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html
https://www.cs.utexas.edu/~EWD/transcriptions/EWD03xx/EWD340.html
>>
>>57366846
Look it doesn't matter wht language you learn. Within the timeframe it takes to get a degree you should be able to learn and regularly use a handful of languages.

Even if you don't learn C first you should still end up learning it along with many other languages like C++, Python, Java, a Lisp dialect, etc. Once you can think in terms of program logic, not in syntax, picking up other languages becomes more trivial. CS definitely doesn't care about language since as it concerns itself with logic and computing efficiency, not software.
>>
>>57367234

> Being this bad at programming
>>
>>57368801
>Being this retarded
fucking fat NEET C cunt
>>
>>57368628
If you're having trouble with C, it's not C that's the low quality part of that equation
>>
>>57368279
>ess for web app development, which is the "future" of most consumer prog

Mostly audio related things.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.