[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its cool that you know all of those programming languages an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 7

File: dream_code.jpg (322KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dream_code.jpg
322KB, 1920x1080px
Its cool that you know all of those programming languages anybody could learn.

But can you dream in code?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXZWB_dNsw
>>
File: stallmandrake.jpg (186KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
stallmandrake.jpg
186KB, 690x460px
>not transcending into a different dimension made of 1's and 0's
>>
Whenever someone brings up a child prodigy, there are two ways the discussion can go. Either the child actually is a prodigy and butthurt adults show off so much jealousy that it makes you cringe, or the child is really very average and the media is just looking for a cheap story.

The ONLY people who can tell which one it is are the ones who actually study the field. If someone told me about a prodigy in physics, I wouldn't know if it were true or not. I'd just sound like a butthurt adult if I criticized. Since I do know programming, I can safely say that the kid is above average for his age, but that's about it. Most programmers who are any good have been programming since they could learn to read and write. Will he be a good developer some day? Yeah, probably. Is he a prodigy set to become the next Linus Torvalds. Fuck no. To me, a prodigy is a rare occurrence. You can find at least a couple kids like him in every high school. The only difference is that he has adults in his life who are good at helping him sell his story to the media.

It's easy to find the bullshit spinners too. Nine times out of ten when a kid wants to spin his own bullshit, their age becomes the first thing they mention. They say shit like "I'm 14 and I did...". Anyone remember that guy "pavlov" who got hired by Netscape way back? They didn't even know he was still in high school until they were already offering him the job. The real prodigies don't constantly mention their age because they have the skills where they are competing with adults and their work doesn't need some disclaimer.
>>
Real programmers don't have dreams
>>
>>57363747
/thread
>>
>>57363781
lol
>>
>>57363747
>If someone told me about a prodigy in physics, I wouldn't know if it were true or not.
Having studied sophomore level physics in quite a lot of details, I am qualified to say that Jacob Barnett is a hack. Any highschooler math nerd could solve Schrödinger's equation in a 1 D box separating time and space components.
>>
Here's boy genius's app store profile where he gives fake reviews to his shitty games that look like they were programmed with a drag and drop teaching tool.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/hicaduda/id314732530

If you want to see a real programming prodigy look up people like Ken Silverman.
>>
>>57363747
>Either the child actually is a prodigy and butthurt adults show off so much jealousy that it makes you cringe, or the child is really very average and the media is just looking for a cheap story.

Pretty much this. I actually watched OPs video and the kid actually seems pretty smart for his age. Would friend.
>>
>>57365209
See >>57365198
>>
>>57365198

>t. person that has never ever done anything and its quick to judge out of jealousy

Nice!
>>
>>57365227
I'm not an amazing programmer, I admit this. I don't try to sell my programming exercises on iTunes though.
>>
his git is fucking garbage
so kys
>>
>>57363747
Didnt know Torvalds was that skillful, just very dedicated.
>>
this is such bullshit, jfc
>>
>>57363440
I went to college with this kid. AMA
>>
>>57365680
Were you in a CS program with him? If so how was his knowledge level in comparison to the rest of the class?
>>
>>57365689
Sorry, Wasn't in CS. I took linear algebra with him. It was a small campus (<3000) so everyone knew the 12 year. I can only speak from second hand experience. He was good at programming for a child. He was better the the average minecrafter. He was by no means anything special compared to the high achieving students. He was terrible at his other classes. Dog shit at chem and not very good at the calc classes either. Total one trick pony.

Also he wore blazers and those shoes with individual toes and that pissed me off.
>>
>>57365735
As someone who's good at Calc, I find this funny. How good was he at Linear Algebra?
>>
>>57365735
>chem
Wait, what?

Is this normal in the US? To do chemistry as part of your CS curriculum?
>>
>>57363440
>last author on a survey paper for a non-ranked conference

He's a fucking pleb.

http://slgonzalez.com/other/ICNC_15.pdf
>>
I once had nightmare in php.
>>
I had a dream in PHP and SQL after working late nights with a first year project first year of university
>>
Apparently I have a common contact with this guy on LinkedIn.
>>
>>57363440
I want to fuck his mom
>>
Necrobump
>>
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=dream+in+code&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
>>
>>57363781
I have abstract dreams and sometimes vivid dreams
>>
>>57363747
Meme-free, comprehensive post. Also rare. I like it.
>>
>>57363747
Legitimately good post.
>>
>>57365735
>bad at calc
How though, Calc I and II are trivial, the hardest part is integration by parts.
>>
This video is almost 4 years old god damn. Where is he now?
>>
>>57368745
A PhD student at a university in Austin Texas, according to his LinkedIn.
>>
>>57368752
Impressive I guess
To be perfectly honest being a 'prodigy' means shit all, it's lasting genius that counts. I mean we've all heard about Gauss' 1-100 formula but that's not actually important because any mathematician worth a damn can figure that out, Gauss is a big deal because he accomplished shit other people didn't even understand how to start.
>>
>>57363747
I found this one kid's github who reverse engineers tons of stuff, especially GBA games.

He's a year younger than me, so I'm slightly jealous of him, but not in a butthurt way.
>>
>>57368790
Adults tend to get way more butthurt because prodigious kids are like a reminder of everything they are not, it's the chad fucking twenty bitches to the ugly fat kid or the guy who solved a problem you spent the last ten years on.
>>
>>57365227
shill your apps somewhere else, santiago.
>>
>>57366235
Yeah, this is pretty normal. CS is usually an engineering degree, so there are certain requirements for all engineers. I had to take 1 semester of chemistry and 2 semesters of physics. The chemistry wasn't applicable to anything, but physics was necessary for some later electrical engineering classes (since my school's CS degree includes some hardware stuff as well).

My friends as other schools in other engineering degrees and CS/CE seem to have similar requirements.
>>
>>57368865
That's strange, and seems to be a waste of time (I mean, why not just have some relevant classes or electables instead?), but fair enough if that's the requirements and that's how the system works.
>>
>>57368865
>>57368885
In the University of California system at least you gotta complete some extremely irrelevant classes to "broaden" your education. CS majors, depending on some schools, are even practically physics and math minors with how many classes they take.
>>
>>57368920
it's worth mentioning that these universities often offer Software Engineering certificates requiring only CS classes for people who can't understand the point and want to pussy out.
>>
>>57368920
I unironically think that math and physics are among the hardest fields of study.
>>
>>57368920
Well, technically I have a major in CS and a minor in mathematics too.

Although we don't use major/minor systems in my country, it's just that 80 ECTS (of a total of 120) needs to be computer science classes, and 40 needs to be mathematics classes (10 ECTS = one class, usually), the 40 are all obligatory, and of the 80 about 40 of them are obligatory, the rest are electables.

But we don't have engineering as part of universities here, I mean there are classes similar to engineering (mechanics and electrical engineering) but they are considered a part of physics. Engineers go to university college, which are about the same as a university there's only legacy reasons why they are named differently.
>>
>>57368885
>>57368920
I don't have a problem with chemistry, it's fine to have a base knowledge of some other science related stuff.

My main issue is with the general educational requirements in college, like my "Diversity and Multiculturalism" requirement. I have to take two classes related to this, so I took Anthropology and am currently taking "Popular Music and Diversity in American Society".
>>
>>57368976
Jesus fuck what is wrong with the states
>>
>>57368976
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AMERICA
>>
>>57368976
>>57368999
>>57369022
I'm not saying I agree with the system, but if you really wanted to focus on CS only, there is the option of trade school.
>>
>>57368976
Diversiclaps.
>>
>>57369022
>>57368999
Well, to be fair to the poor american, we have to do a class called examen philosophicum in my country. It used to be a requirement to get into university (as a way of artificially preventing farmers, poor people and other unwanted people from getting admitted to university, because they lacked the formal high school education that prepared them for it), but in modern times it's been reduced to a farce. I basically did 4 hours of work for it and passed with an A it was worth 1/3 of a semester (10 ECTS).
>>
>>57365735
So, basically, he was autistic as he sounds in the video?
>>
>>57369045
To expand on this: Currently, as a PhD student, I have to do 30 ECTS of courses too (which is bullshit, because I could have spent that time on research instead). Among those 30 ECTS, 5 of them needs to be a class called "Ethics, science and society" which basically is just "don't plagiarise" and "animal research is tricky" (which doesn't really apply to a computer scientist like me).
>>
>>57369093
He's almost certainly literally and non-meme on the spectrum.
>>
>>57368999
>>57369022
>>57369032

I'm >>57368976
pic related were just a few of my other options

(yes, there is an actual class called "white racism")

>>57369031
Yeah, I wanted a legit degree, and I'm almost completely done with those requirements now.
>>
>>57369172
Shit dude those are some liberalnazi classes. I just had to take things like anthro, music appreciation, econ, humanities, and a couple of philosophy classes.
>>
>>57369172
Yooooooooooooooooooo~
>Asian American Literature
...why not just actually Asian Literature, there's quite a bit of good stuff there.
>>
>>57369201
Those are just options for the diversity requirement. As I said in my first post, I took anthro and a diversity-focused music class.

There are a few other requirements, and philosophy is one of them, as well as some social sciences, for which I took linguistics and economics. Most of them aren't too bad, just the diversity ones.
>>
>>57369257
My sister is a philosophy major (+ history, +mathematics)
I am now unable to win a single argument with her.
>>
>>57369270
>implying you can win an argument against any woman ever
>>
>>57369416
lol
>>
>>57369416
It really isn't that hard, she doesn't have to admit she's wrong for me to 'win' the argument.
Also my sister is a really nice girl and unironically pure.
>>
>>57369416
What if you introduce her to mr. willy
>>
>>57368976
I'm really fucking glad I got out before this nonsense started being pushed in my uni. I noticed it creeping up but not really anything especially retarded until I was already done with it all. My friend lives close to D.C. and he has a sociology class that tries to teach him that race is a myth. His english prof. makes all his assignments based on relating Star Trek episodes to libtard problems. His final project is to make a 5000 word essay on The Walking Dead and relating how people in America are all zombies. Every class he screams about how evil Trump is.

I still had to take bullshit classes because muh diversified education but at least it was limited to things like "How We Eat" (literally a class on American eating habits and industry), history, etc. I had to take gym in college. Fucking gym. And people wonder why America is the laughing stock of the education world. Asians are studying higher math and science while we're studying this bullshit. The best part is apparently WE'RE ALL FINE WITH IT because people continue to spend 30,000 a year on it.
>>
>>57369585
"how do we eat" sounds like a good way to introduce you to statistical study and social sciences, although I'm guessing you're not even an arts / social-type major.
>Asians are studying higher math and science
Yes we are, but we also have 4 mandatory semesters of gym for some godawful reason (there's really fun courses though) and brainwashing 101 aka the politics course, that nobody, not even the fucking lecturer, gives three shits about.
>>
>>57369585
To be honest I kind of want trump to win just to see people explode in a frothing rage, it's incredible how he's literally hitler in the eyes of some people.
>>
>>57369685
It wasn't an intro though. It was just garbage. I took actual statistics and more social sciences than I could stomach.

I was comp sci and switched out to tech systems management + comp sci specialization. Systems admin and management kind of stuff. I forgot essentially everything I "learned" in those shit classes.

Which Asian country?

>>57369699
It boggles my mind that these people are teaching though. The guy would literally fail my friend if he said something positive about Trump and would face no repercussions. Have your own views if you want but fuck man.
>>
>>57369794
China, can you guess?
I think I'm going to fucking fail particle physics and real analysis this semester.
>literally fail my friend
We can't do that even if we talk shit about Mao or Marx in Politics class.
>>
File: gnu žabac.jpg (81KB, 800x850px)
gnu žabac.jpg
81KB, 800x850px
being butt-hurt about people who are more capable than you is just a waste of energy.
if anything let the impression drive you to try harder to become a better person/professional/whatever.
of-course, there are things you and i will never achieve with the assets we have, but im pretty sure that we arent doing as much as we are capable to.
>>
>>57370015
It's much easier to complain about others winning the talent lottery than admit that part of it is you being a lazy fucking faggot.
>>
>>57370026
even easier is to browse chans.
time to press that X button, cya
>>
>>57370059
N-no u
>>
>>57365198
>metronome
>solar system
Jeeez.
>>
File: 1457906686098.png (456KB, 804x876px) Image search: [Google]
1457906686098.png
456KB, 804x876px
>>57369172
>White Racism

This is why I love being a non white. I just get to sit back and watch people hate you while white guilt people give me praise for being a Hispanic intellectual in uni.
>>
>>57369699
There will absolutely be riots in the streets. I can't wait to just sit back and watch the world burn.
>>
>>57370207
It apparently doesn't work for Asians, because we're successful.
>>
>>57368736
calc 1 optimization was actually my biggest struggle. looking back its easy as fug but man it was tough to get used to it for me
>>
>>57370232
I think Asians don't have to deal with the "white racism" shit as much, but you don't get any advantages either; everywhere that has quotas for diversity already has their Asian quota filled.
>>
>>57370273
Which hurts like fuck when you realize that niggers 300 points lower on sat and with five fewer APs and no extracurriculars get into Harvard.
>>
>>57370270
>optimization
Like, minima and maxima? It's literally just differentiation and slapping a =0 on the end.
>>
>>57363747
>Most programmers who are any good have been programming since they could learn to read and write.
I go to Stanford and 2/3 of students in CS undergrad never touched code before CS106A. Same for most top tier university CS programs.

This kid is a savant, but anyone can catch up to making those crappy apps in a few years. That puzzle slider game being his proudest achievement? Pretty sure coding that's an easy level question in crack the coding interview. But that's still years beyond what half of /g/ can accomplish beyond installing linux.
>>
>>57363747
How the fuck are people actually agreeing with this malformed wall of text? Has /g/ really regressed this much since I've been gone?

He isn't above average for his age. He's piss poor at programming. Do you see the trash on his screen?

He's blatantly bullshitting the people around him with the 'dream in code' thing. He probably had a dream involving programming once at most.

He simply has a hobby that other kids don't. He isn't particularly good at his hobby either.
>>
>>57370979
>that is still years beyond
Try a single year of dedicated practice at most, people can make asteroids in flash, complete with a few mobile gravity wells and shit, within a few weeks of picking up flash.
>>
>>57371038
I don't think that text wall was calling him a prodigy.
>>
>>57371038
The best part of that malformed wall of text is that it preemptively dismisses posts like yours by labelling you as a butthurt adult.
>>
>>57363781
HAHAHAHAHAHA pure gold
>>
>>57371038
Have you seen his apps though? Take a look, then you'll realize that he is in fact a prodigy.
>>
What the fuck? This app of his is so basic. It's 8-ball for fuck sake. Also the reviews are so clearly fake its funny.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-oracle-iad-version/id330019556?mt=8
>>
>>57371131
Not him but as I've said, who the fuck cares about 'prodigies'? Genius is something to respect and admire. Being a prodigy is literally just a head start, oh shit he's a programmer of apps that anyone who taps away at C for a few months can figure out. Genius is when you actually get shit done. When you're the next Cantor or Riemann or Gauss and you accomplish things because of your genius that nobody else could even if they wanted to. That's what we should give a shit about, not the idea that he made a shitty app earlier.
>>
http://hicaduda.com/
lmao his website
>>
I dream in dicks mostly.
>>
File: laughing_pepper.png (319KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_pepper.png
319KB, 500x500px
>>57371594
>clicking on his apps under the "IOS APPS" page redirects to localhost/error.html
>>
>>57365198

I agree with this man, never heard of ken silverman befor but he amazed me

some software he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8tDBg4pfYk

If I dream how to code those GENERIC games anyone can code with half brain, I'd kill myself
>>
>>57371594
>approximated sqrt(2) to 2 digits
>>
>>57372096
>le taylor expansion memel
>>
>>57371743
I shouldn't find it so funny but it is
>>
>>57372275
I don't even get this. Taylor expansion is a classic beginner exercise for clusters. Everything he does seems like a beginner exercise. His github is terrible.
>>
Code for 12hours straight and it's almost garanteed you'll dream in code.
>>
>>57372997
Or just fall asleep on the keyboard.
>>
Honestly it's not uncommon for programmers to dream in code.

It happen to me and to all of my friends that regularly write code.
>>
>>57373034
What the fuck does dreaming in code even entail
The last time I had a dream my sister turned into thousands of pint-sized versions of herself and assembled into civilization Wonders while I somehow studied for my physics midterms by watching her. Dreams are fucking demented.
>>
>>57372997
>>57373034
>can't solve an annoying bug
>go to bed
>dream in code and solve bug
>wake up
>run to computer to implement fix
>forget your dream
>>
>>57373069
Dreams being instantly forgettable is the stupidest """feature""" God ever implemented.
>>
>>57373081
Totally
>>
>>57373069
>sit dumbly at computer for the next hour trying to figure it out
>give up and go back to bed but on the way there think you've remembered it but it's just hanging on the edge of your memory and not actually there
>>
>>57373081
But if every dream was as vivid a memory as real life, I'd be afraid of confusing dreams with reality and going insane.
>>
>>57373057

You just see the reality of your dreams as idiomatic symbols referring to logical constructs, so as code.

You see people, places, ambiances, and their source code.

That is what is happening to me at least.
>>
>>57373210
We're all insane already.
>>
>>57369172
This....this looks like the absolute POS new system my uni has for registering classes.

Tell me...are you on the east coast?
>>
>>57374150
it's not like every university develops their own proprietary course registration interface, anon.
>>
>>57374150
Yes
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.