[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had one hundred million dollars: How would you spend it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

If you had one hundred million dollars: How would you spend it to make linux more popular in the desktop market?
Push a certain desktop enviroment/ distro?
Improve driver support for hardware (especially printers, scanners... )?
Make LibreOffice completely compatible to Microsoft Office, so it's more attractice for business use?
Push professional software like image/ video / music editing software for linux?

Just thought about it for a while and didn't find a golden way. Curious about your thoughts.
>>
>>57359011
I would buy a PC that could run Windows efficiently
>>
>invest in appl stock
>wait
>???
>profit
>>
Stage one would be offering bounties to developers who port their games/software to linux. Maybe make my own Distribution, with a custom UI and tier 1 support.

Stage two would be buying up a hardware company to get Linux machines into stores, have those mini-mac store style kiosk in best buy or whatever. Go with a whole "escape windows/freedom" campaign.

Something along those lines at least.
>>
>>57359011
>have a 100 mil
>waste it on trying to push a backend OS for front end usage. Fail miserably and end up broke with a shitty desktop OS still

How about just live happily with your 100mil kid
>>
>>57359124
this is a good start

missed a step, which is to pick a certain distro, or two.
start a corporation to have pay for companies to port things into those distros
pay for some publicity.
Also, donate a lot of money to make whatever distro you choose much more stable

Maybe mail out install USBs or CDs
>>
Give half to the Debian project and spend the other on Wine to run Windows binaries. An OS which can run both Linux and Windows applications would be highly useful.
>>
Throw the money at marketing and bribe a few AAA game devs to port their shit.
>>
>>57359208
>or two

Nope. You're not here to waste those millions.
>>
File: 1453695765304.jpg (142KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1453695765304.jpg
142KB, 600x450px
I would use it extensively to bribe/lobby politicians to go for open standard in all communication with the government

then continue on that with push for schools of opensource solutions ONLY

then continue on that with push for government agencies to start using only opensource software

if quality is not there, then lobby/bribe so that the government pays for open development of it, improvement
>>
>>57359426
That's a lot of bribery for something that can be accomplished more sensibly
>>
>>57359584
>that can be accomplished more sensibly
heh, how naive
not everything is iceland
>>
>>57359584
That's what bigger industries do successfully.
>>
Last one. Push development for software like Krita, Darktable (which are on par with PS and Lightroom already), Inkscape, Blender, start a video editor/compositor software to be a literal clone of Final Cut Pro 6 (or whatever the last one before X was) based on the products we already have. IE tidy up and organize professional software and make it usable than it is now. Also, promote Qt.

Plus, bounties for developers to fix and improve annoying shit in various Linux software, not necessarily related to content creation.
>>
>>57359011
I'd buy 100 million hookers for a dollar apiece
>>
>>57359011
Get a full fleshed out desktop environment thats bug free, good to use and customizable.
Make the experience seemless, and add a nice theme so it looks nice.

Then work on 3rd party driver support, make it on par or better than windows.
Invest in porting, or alternatives that are on par of commonly used productivity software.
Finish wayland, and make aure all commonly used apps use it.

After that i think the rest will be trivial.

Ideally id just use that money to make ubunth not suck.
>>
>>57359011
make a ton of manufactures make Loonux laptops. Make basically an EXE for Loonux. Do an adversing campaign bout "muh freedom" bribe a bunch of game developers and programmers to port there stuff. bribe nvidia. Bribe a bunch of laptop manufactures to use coreboot.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.