[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am brand new to linux, basically, but I'm very interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: index.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Am brand new to linux, basically, but I'm very interested in learning and eventually (within the next 4-6 months) taking the CompTIA Linux+ exam. What would be the best distro for me to start off with to practice with, and learn what I need to learn?
>>
>>57347498
>CompTIA Linux+ exam
Fedora and Fedora based distros AND nothing else, speceally not arch or debian
>>
>>57347773
Thank you much. I was reading everywhere to use either CentOS, or Debian as that's what the majority of questions would revolve around.
>>
>>57347813
Don't use Debian
>>
>>57348167
>absolute statement
>no reasons posted

Not OP but damn anon you may as well have not posted anything
>>
>>57347813
In principle the distro shouldn't matter that much because the differences are mostly superficial. That said, the test is geared toward enterprise use, and RHEL/CentOS are by far the most widely used for that purpose. They also have very good documentation. CentOS is probably a good choice to start with.
>>
>>57347498

fedora for the beginner, arch when you are skilled
>>
File: 1452064815058.jpg (614KB, 1260x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452064815058.jpg
614KB, 1260x800px
>>57347498
Don't listen to arch kids.
I would recommend debian or ubuntu.
>>
>magine actually taking an exam to use a computer

fucking hell lad. even for sysadmin you just meme aout a bit
>>
>>57350523
>t. NEET
I'll tell you a secret: Most employees look for RHEL cert these days
>>
Linux Professional Institute certification:
+ Red Hat (or CentOS)
+ Debian
>>
File: 1451874128351.png (254KB, 381x403px) Image search: [Google]
1451874128351.png
254KB, 381x403px
>>57350447
>arch
>skilled
>>
>>57350853
Hey, HEY PSST

>newbie friendly beginner distros
Ubuntu/Debian/Mint

>Boring wageslaves
Fedora/Fedora based

>Top tier server usage and serious programming and production environment
Arch/Gentoo
>>
>>57347498
you're a babby so start on something like xubuntu or fedora and when you've learned a bit more you can have a go at arch
>>
File: 53303110.png (415KB, 654x702px) Image search: [Google]
53303110.png
415KB, 654x702px
>>57350872
>>Top tier server usage
>arch
>>
Ubuntu for the 100 % newbie. Then manjaro (or install Arch if you have the time to set aside for that, and then use Manjaro/Antergos as your "installer" so you don't have to manually configure shit every time you need to reinstall)
>>
>>57347773
this is most retarded thing wrote in here
installing arch will teach him a lot
"using" fedora will teach little

having idea about differences between distros is absolutely helpful in better understanding the underlying components and ways things can be

also CompTIA Linux+ is not a fucking red hat certificate you retarded dunce
>>
>>57350886
>missing the serious programming and production environment
lmao newfag
>>
>>57350937
It falls into the same tier as using arch for a server.
>>
honestly distros are all basically identical, especially when you do a minimal netinstall. people that whine about them are dumb af
>>
OpenSUSE
Or
Manjaro

I've been where you've been before OP
Although Debian etc are more commonly used, these are best for beginners.

I really want your transition to be as comfy as possible.

Feel free to distrohop if you wish, but definitely start with one of these two
>>
File: 1477524686634.png (871KB, 650x4377px) Image search: [Google]
1477524686634.png
871KB, 650x4377px
dont go with Arch autism as you're first distro, just look at this comic it should explain why not.
Debian is god-tier starter distro
>>
>>57352662
Debian is also the better distro for experienced users.
>>
Start with ubuntu or linux mint then fedora and stop
>>
There seems to be some confusion in here about the relationship between Fedora and Red Hat. Fedora is not the free version of Red Hat, it's the development version. That means it's far more up to date and has lots of new features, which is great for desktop use, but not necessarily what you want in a server OS.

CentOS is the free version of Red Hat. The latest version of CentOS is essentially identical to the latest version of Red Hat, but Fedora is quite different. If you want to learn about the Red Hat family for enterprise use, you should use CentOS, not Fedora. Red Hat/CentOS and Debian probably account for 95% of all enterprise linux installations.
>>
>>57352662
>Amazuntu, Fedora and Debian are cuck OS that can't state their own opinion

No wonder they get cucked by Arch
>>
File: received_656704394499732.jpg (20KB, 516x307px) Image search: [Google]
received_656704394499732.jpg
20KB, 516x307px
>>57350872
Arch for servers? Are you retarded?
>>
Not OP, but after 7 years of using Linux, I'm thinking about finally getting certified as well. What's the best way to practice system administration without the use of an actual network of computers? Can it be done with Virtualbox? I've only ever used Linux as a desktop OS and once as a simple headless seedbox/file server.
>>
>>57347498
>all this cancer.
Linux+ and LPIC-1 are considered basically equivalent. The exams recommend you to be familiar with both Red Hat and Debian's package managers. Be familiar with both. The exercises will provide you with a general understanding of how Linux works. Muh arch and gentoo installs will make more sense after.
>>
Ubuntu/Manjaro/Solus. Learn to compile shit and move to Linux from scratch. That way you'll actually learn.
>>
>>57355700
>solus
>some irrelevant distro that will die off within the next couple months.
>>
>>57350767
I'll tell you a secret: Employees are not employers

also they dont look for rhel cert they just filter your CV through OCR software and add points to your profile for every buzzword that gets in there, rhel being in there not because its good but because its new and 2020 cloud edgy
>>
>>57357650
And that would mean something if I had suggested it as a long term solution but you're too stupid to read.
>>
>>57347773
>sysd based distro is good for learning linux
get a loaded gun, point it at your face and pull the trigger.
>>
>>57357739
yes, that's what 90% of linux runs on nowadays, sys v is dead unless ur into embedded shit or luckily work somewhere where they deploy a BSD
>>
>>57357739
Why? What will happen?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.